Best time to get rabbit a companion...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benson1990

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm planning on getting two rabbits at some point and I'm jut wondering what is the best way/time for adding a companion? Is it better to get two at the same time, or is it preferable to only get one and get the other after the first one is neutered? Im just not sure of how best to do it.

I'm from Ireland so will be building a purpose built shed for them, it will be 12ft x 7ft and about 7ft high.

I would recommend getting both at the same time so they’re the same age but keep them apart until they are fixed.

I bonded my boys before they were neutered and then they unbonded after surgery and now fight every time I try to rebond them…that’s just my experience.
It was much smoother bonding

I am unsure how accessible this option is for you in Ireland, but I would suggest looking at local rescues to adopt pairs that are already bonded so you do not need to worry about bonding them yourself (which can be long and take somewhat significant re-arranging of your living situation). Also, at least in my personal experience with rescues in my area, bonded rabbits are less likely to be adopted, so it's always a welcome sight at the rescue I work with to hear someone interested in adopting a bonded pair.

Latest posts

Back