Best pen / cage for my area?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newworld191

Reaction score
IMG_2950.jpg

Here is current cage, I am looking to get a pen of sorts. Also, those bins can be moved. Also, I need some help on how to prevent her from urinating if I switch to a pen, as I don’t want the carpet damaged. I won’t be getting my rabbit spayed this summer.

Recommend pens, help, and more.

Thanks!

Is free roaming an option after she is litter trained?

If so, that cage could be used as a home base (left open but contains her litterbox and things). You could also turn that area into her spot without any kind of pen or cage.

If not, you could get a pen and cover the floor with multiple layers of blankets (this can be done during litter training as well) so she doesn't ruin the carpet. I at one point covered my whole carpet with blankets so my carpet couldn't be ruined. I will attach pictures of my rabbit's areas throughout his year with me so you can get an idea.Snapchat-480496902.jpegSnapchat-1068470068.jpegScreenshot_2019-03-04-16-58-21.jpegScreenshot_2019-03-04-17-03-10.jpeg

This pen can work:
https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Fold...n&qid=1560046392&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

You'll want no shorter than the 30" height.

You can get a cheap piece of rolled linoleum to put on top of the carpet. Just be sure the edges of the lino are beyond the pen wall so that bunny can't reach the edges and chew on them. If you use lino, it protects the carpet and then you can have options for what to put on top of that once bunny is litter trained.

If you aren't choosy, you can usually find some really cheap. They may also have remnants for cheap at individual stores.
upload_2019-6-8_19-22-44.png

I used that same cage when I first brought home my buns but my doe got her leg caught in the door when I had it open for her to come and go as she pleased. I have since bought 2 of these cages for my buns:

https://www.chewy.com/midwest-wabbitat-deluxe-rabbit-home/dp/131297

My 8 week doe also climbed out of a 24" high play pen so I ordered a much taller one. She can fit between the bars though so I have to wait until she's bigger before I can use it. I have found that both of my buns, 8 weeks and 10 weeks, have never peed outside of their litter boxes after the first day they came home. I was worried about my laminate flooring but it turns out that a fleece blanket over the laminate has been just fine. I am a first time bunny owner and both of my young buns litter trained themselves, that's how easy it was! They still leave little peppercorns around the play pen though, but I was primarily concerned about the urine. Hopefully yours will be just as easy to litter train too so you don't have to worry about the flooring. I also used waterproof mattress sheets under the fleece at first. You can buy it by the yard at fabric stores.

My eventual goal is free roam but that won't happen for quite a while so these larger cages and play pens have been great for now.

ETA: from your photo it looks like your bunny could use a much larger litter pan. You can buy a full sized cat box and fill it with litter material topped with hay and your bunny will be more likely to use it consistently. I think you'll be surprised at how quickly your bunny will seek out the litter pan instead of going pee on the floor.

I used that same cage when I first brought home my buns but my doe got her leg caught in the door when I had it open for her to come and go as she pleased. I have since bought 2 of these cages for my buns:

https://www.chewy.com/midwest-wabbitat-deluxe-rabbit-home/dp/131297

My eventual goal is free roam but that won't happen for quite a while so these larger cages and play pens have been great for now.

@Butterscotch, good warning on the door ramps than can cause issues! Also, it sounds like you use the cages with an ex-pen. That's great. Do be sure to emphasize that fact (you did mention it :) ) whenever you show your cage. Otherwise people may think that the cage is sufficient by itself. ;)

Your new rabbits are very cute and glad to hear they potty trained. Not all babies do. However, just fair warning, with the onset of hormones, rabbits may forget that potty training and begin having "accidents." Just wanted to be sure you were aware.

Once fixed, they tend to be consistent with potty habits. (Well, males may take several weeks after their surgery.)

@Butterscotch, good warning on the door ramps than can cause issues! Also, it sounds like you use the cages with an ex-pen. That's great. Do be sure to emphasize that fact (you did mention it :) ) whenever you show your cage. Otherwise people may think that the cage is sufficient by itself. ;)

Your new rabbits are very cute and glad to hear they potty trained. Not all babies do. However, just fair warning, with the onset of hormones, rabbits may forget that potty training and begin having "accidents." Just wanted to be sure you were aware.

Once fixed, they tend to be consistent with potty habits. (Well, males may take several weeks after their surgery.)

Oh yes, I use a play pen WITH the cages and they get plenty of time in the play pen. These are fairly big cages but these bunnies binky all over the place as soon as they are let out into the play pen. That alone tells me they need and appreciate the extra space! Most cages are way too small for full time housing, in my opinion.

I am surprised and thrilled that these babies pee only in the litter box. I was expecting accidents all over the place when they first came home. I do expect some changes when hormones kick in and spaying and neutering time comes but I'm ready with waterproof sheets and patience.

Latest posts

Back