Beginner?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkiidsean

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to the bun world and I was wondering what is a good starter rabbit? One thats medium to large in size and have a good temper naturally? Please help!

Thanks,
Sean

Holland Lop eared rabbits have AMAZING temperament and are super adorable. They are fairly good sized too. They can be more pricey, but it depends what breeder you get it from.

They are also great starter pets. My profile pic is one.

OMG! They are so cute! I can't wait till I go. The tiny family own pet shop I am going to can get me basically any bunny and litter box train them for me. Question. What about Lionheads? and maybe neathlerlands?

If this is your first rabbit, I'd highly suggest getting a rescue rabbit that is already fixed rather than a baby rabbit. Babies are so much more delicate. Then you'll also have to deal with the hormonal stage which may include aggression, lunging, growling, biting and spraying of urine.

Rabbits from rescues are usually already fixed (which will save you a bundle since spays can be from $100-$400). Plus, at the rescue, you can meet the individual rabbits. They each have unique temperaments and this way you can choose one that you like and that seems to like you too. With a baby, there is no way to tell what you'll end up with after that hormonal period.

For a first time bunny owner, I would absolutely discourage a baby and absolutely encourage going with a rescue rabbit.

Netherlands are very small in size and I've heard that they're not very good in terms of handling and cuddling. I'm sure there are some very sweet nethies out there, but you are better off with a medium size breed for a slightly more mellow disposition. The temperament of the individual is then also going to vary a lot within that breed, so there is no guarantee that your bunny will turn out like breed standard.

Of course, I'm a bit prejudiced, since both my bunnies have been Mini-Rexes, but I'd recommend you take a look at that breed, too. They're all intelligence and personality, with the softest fur you'll ever feel. Mini-Rexes are medium- to small-sized, about 4.5-5.5 pounds.

I'd steer clear of Netherland Dwarfs as a starter rabbit. From the experiences of people I've known, they tend to be pretty high strung and nervous, and of course they're tiny - less than 2.5 pounds.

As I'm sure someone will point out, rabbits vary in personality very dramatically within breeds, so anything anyone says about the characteristics of a breed may or may not apply to the individual article. You really have to get to know them as individuals, which makes adopting from a rescue much better for a beginner. The fosterer at the rescue will have already figured out the personality of the bunny they're caring for, and if the rabbit has reached maturity (one year old, generally), you can have some assurance that unlike a baby their personality won't change dramatically overnight when they become "teenagers" at six months.

We have a "what breed is my bunny?" rabbit identification key here on Rabbits Online, where you can see pictures and read some details on all of the ARBA recognized breeds -
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f29/what-breed-my-bunny-start-here-77893/

Since they've been mentioned, here are links to the key pages on Holland Lops, Mini-Rexes, Lionheads and Netherland Dwarfs.

Finally, don't turn up your nose at mixed-breed rabbits - pure breed really only matters if you were breeding for show. As a companion, mixes can be wonderful pets.

Thank you so much! I am doing so much research and I love it I can't wait to I finally get mine! Non of the shelters around me have bunnies. I have to purchase from a breeder. ugh.. more expensive..

Non of the shelters around me have bunnies. I have to purchase from a breeder. ugh.. more expensive..

There is probably a rabbit rescue in your area - if the "Worcester" you're from is the one in Massachusetts, then you should check with the House Rabbit Network - http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/ - they cover Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Connecticut. They seem to have a wide range of rabbits for adoption on their website.

I agree with everyone on the rescue part. Alot of times they already come spayed/neutered which can be a big expense. Plus you get a bit of a feel for the rabbits personality. And there are so many rabbits who need homes. Rabbits do vary from individual to individual. They arent as solid in personality like cat and dog breeds. However there are stereotypes for rabbit breeds. If you want a larger rabbit who will cuddle with you on the couch I suggest a French Lop. The majority of the ones I've seen (and had) tend to be laid back, calm, snuggle bugs. But you do have to consider the longer coat and the ears take some maintenance as well. I like my giants a little bit better than my petite because there's more to cuddle with and they're a bit easier to pick up and maintain. However when my German Giant doesnt want to do something he's big enough and bratty enough to convince me to let him get away with it. My french lop however lets me do whatever needs to be done.

A lot of rescues will let you try a rabbit out and can be returned if they arent the perfect fit for your home. You may go in with an idea for a certain breed then a certain individual will run away with your heart!

Good luck with your bunny I'm sure whatever breed you get you'll love I'm a firm believer in any rabbit and not being biased because any bunny can make an excellent pet/friend tho I'm partial to lops,Flemish giants and lionheads, right now I have a 7 week old lionhead named Ivy, lionheads don't get very large and I find have a wonderful temperament. ��

Latest posts

Back