Beating the heat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulubooboo

Reaction score
Hey guys! I hope you and your buns are all staying healthy and safe!
I just wanted a few suggestions about what to do in summer. Here the temps can get up to 100 in the summer. We just had our first hot day of the year, 85°.
I know about wetting their ears slightly, but I don't know of anything else.
The buns are outside, and can't move inside unless their sick or not acting right. Their allowed inside, but just have to be watched. And during summertime, I can't stay around all day watching them. I wish I could move them in, but my parents won't let me 😬.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!

Anything over 85 (80 if humid) can lead to heatstroke in rabbits. Lop-eared rabbits are more susceptible to heatstroke since bunnies lose heat through their ears.

You'll need to be even more aggressive in your cooling ideas if it gets much above 90, let alone 100. A frozen water bottle for a rabbit to lay beside or a cool tile isn't going to be much help at 90F. Some rabbits aren't bright enough to take advantage of a cool (frozen) bottle either. A friend said she lost a rabbit outdoors from heat because it refused to go near the cold bottle.

If you get temps close to 100, you may need to figure out a way to get him near a portable A/C unit or swamp cooler.

The following article discusses ways to keep indoor rabbits cool but can be adapted for outdoor rabbits.
https://binkybunny.com/infocategory/cooling-tips/

Anything over 85 (80 if humid) can lead to heatstroke in rabbits. Lop-eared rabbits are more susceptible to heatstroke since bunnies lose heat through their ears.

You'll need to be even more aggressive in your cooling ideas if it gets much above 90, let alone 100. A frozen water bottle for a rabbit to lay beside or a cool tile isn't going to be much help at 90F. Some rabbits aren't bright enough to take advantage of a cool (frozen) bottle either. A friend said she lost a rabbit outdoors from heat because it refused to go near the cold bottle.

If you get temps close to 100, you may need to figure out a way to get him near a portable A/C unit or swamp cooler.

The following article discusses ways to keep indoor rabbits cool but can be adapted for outdoor rabbits.
https://binkybunny.com/infocategory/cooling-tips/
Ok, thank you! I know it's bad for them to be outside in the heat, and thankfully it doesn't usually get up to 100. If it does, I'll try and get my parents to let me bring them live inside for a bit.
Its never very humid, almost always under 20. It's super dry where I live.

Back