Baxter! pain med's after neutoring if he is eating and pooing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliew19673

Reaction score
Baxter! was neutored today and has been pretty glassy eyed all day (still is) but has eaten and drank quite a bit; he's curious why his shelves are gone in his NIC pen, but is still a little quiet (as should be expected). My Vet gave me the pain meds for Baxter! after I insisted and now that it is time to give him some, should I or should I leave it alone, as he seems to be dealing with the after-affects well.

I certainly do not wish him to feel pain, but in the same breath I don't like medicating an animal with drugs that make them feel "weird".. Any feedback appreciated.

Aw, Brave Baxter! and you!Usually if they're peeing and pooing you don't "need" to. But, it can't hurt. What meds did the vet give? If Metacam, it wouldn't hurt if you want to give him some tonight, should help him feel better.;)

juliew19673 wrote:
Thanks for the quick response.. The label says "Torbugesic" in a Vitamin Syrup? and to give 1/2 cc (the nurse showed me the amount)..
Eek, I haven't heard of that one. I'll have to check around for you. Hmm.

From my first Google search of Torbugesic - this is what I found:

Overview

[*]Pain control is increasingly important in veterinary medicine as more is learned about the perception of pain in animals. Drugs used to control pain are called analgesics. These drugs are also used in anesthesia, often combined with tranquilizer drugs as pre-anesthetic drugs or post-operatively.

[*]Butorphanol belongs to a general class of drugs known as opiate agonists. Other related drugs in this class include buprenorphine, fentanyl, meperidine and morphine.

[*]The drug has significant pain control and sedation properties but does not last long.

[*]In addition to pain control and sedation, butorphanol will alleviate coughing
[*]It further states: The most significant side effects associated with butorphanol are sedation, lack of appetite and diarrhea.
Don't like the last one.. I want him to keep his appetite that he has.. Sheesh.. I should have asked more questions..

A further google search I came up with this quote from a Vet Nurses site - which makes me feel uneasy and wish to call my regular Vet in the AM:

"This post touched a nerve with me as well. Butorphanol has no place in the management of pain. With all of the advancements in veterinary pain management, I don't how this "old school" drug is still around (aside from potentially being appropriately used as an anti-tussive). In my opinion, we may as well be spitting at an animal in pain. It would give us the same results as in injection of butorphanol."

Hmm tough call. If it were me I would give him just maybe one dose in case hes feeling some discomfort that hes not showing (remember they are great at hiding it). It cant hurt.

If he was neutered today, they should have given him some pain meds there so usually you dont give them to the bun at home until the next day. Maybe wait until morning and then give him some?

PS. Torbugesic is a safe and effective pain med for bunnies. Its an opiod so does make them lethargic (probably why vets usually use something like Metacam instead) but does work well for pain.

Haley wrote:
PS. Torbugesic is a safe and effective pain med for bunnies. Its an opiod so does make them lethargic (probably why vets usually use something like Metacam instead) but does work well for pain.
Thanks Haley! Sheesh, I couldn't find anything good on it.:?

That suggestion of the existence of previous pain meds given to him by the Dr. would explain the "still present" glassy-eyed look he has..I think you might be on to something with the wait and see - I don't want to dope the little guy, especially if there would be something out there that would be better that I could get tomorrow AM and give him.. Feeling bad for him... Bad bun Mom.. :(

So it being an opiad is why he is so glassy eyed? O.K. I'll give him the meds tonight and call my Vet in the AM for the Metacam. Thanks toAll of youfor the quick response.

Such drama.. The syrigene (sp?) that the Vet gave me is bad - instead of the pain med coming out of the tip - it "sprays" out the side of the tube (there is a tear in the tube).. I tried taping it - holding my finger over it - and it just doesn't work. So Baxter! is going to have to lump it tonight.

He's trying to climb out of his NIC pen.. so I'm guessing he is not feeling ALL that bad.. I layed inside with him for about a half hour (fed him cheerios) to calm him down and he seemsbetter now..

Lord help me tomorrow and the next day! I'll call my reg. Vet first thing and go get him meds - really do not want to have to drag him to work with me as I am sure he just needs to "chill" to heal.. I thought him being fixed on Wednesday was such a smart idea as he would have 2 days "out of it" and then we would have the weekend to acclimate to his "new world" but, he's not following the "script" i wrote and wants to be a 2 year old and thinks he "knows better than I" which could be the case as I don't know bunnies..

I don't know much about various painkillers...I usually hope that Randy (ra775, I believe his username is) finds my post and helps out, hehe!

As far as trying to climb out of the cage, though...LOL! That stinker definitely doesn't know what's best for him, so maybe for a bun like him, it would help to have him slightly dopey?

It sounds like he's healing really nicely, though! :)

Yeah, I'm just afraid that he will rip his little incisions open.. He's trying to act like it a normal day - but he still has that glassy eyed look.... I turned the lights off and hoping he will just "GO TO SLEEP!!!!".. He's got to be tired after the day he's had.. Sigh - I know he will survive this just fine - not sure if I will be, quite, so "O.k"..

Think I'll go make a drink..lol..

Metacam is extremely effective in relieving pain. My poor girl Muffy had knee arthritis, and Metacam was an angel to her. But alike other drugs, long terms affects of Metacam can be quite harmful. But if it's just used for neutering pain relief, Baxter! should be fine.

I love putting the "!" at the end of his name :biggrin2:

Thanks so much for replying.. between you and Maherworman I would be lost tonight (and thought I would be just fine previous to this day- go figure, LOL)..

I'm definetly going to get Baxter! some Metacam tomorrow (for his pain and MINE!).. Can Vets prescribed Valium for the Owners/Parents/Slaves of buns?

That is the Vet I need - LOL..

Bo didn't come home with pain meds but whatever he was given before he left the vet's office was enough to keep him pretty drousy all day and he ate, peed, pood and was fine by the next day - but I didn't let him hop on stuff as much as he wanted to.

Thought I would make some comments on this since I see quite a few pain events. Rabbits are prey animals....even our domestics....you can't go by how they appear. They will hide pain until they just can't hide it any longer. Pain in rabbits is like with humans...some handle it better than others. My criteria is that is I have been cut upon...I want pain meds. Guarantee most of you (me included) will head for the drugs at the slightest hint of a minor headache....just think what it feels like when you have had body parts removed. Let's review some pain meds.

Metacam is one of the most widely use pain meds with animals. It is a Non Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug (NSAID).....basically it's like our Tylenol. A version of this med is used in humans with things such as arthritis. It is better than nothing....but especially post-spay, totally insufficient for pain management. To properly handle post-spay pain, a narcotic should be used. I saw Torbugesic (Butorporphenol) mentioned. It is an opiad that is tremendously effective. But, and there is always a but, it's effectiveness is muted in a rabbit due to it's short effective life....only a couple of hours. A much better choice for moderate to severe pain is Buprenorphine (Buprenex). It is a synthetic opiad. Very effective and can last up to 12 hours per dose. It can be administered orally, sub-q or IM. It doesn't have to be swallowed if given orally...it's absorbs thru the membranes of the mouth. Both of these are controlled drugs. Many vets hesitate about sending these meds home. An acceptable alternative that still requires a RX but is not controlled is Tramadol.The upside is that it's very effective, can be used with metacam and is very inexpensive. Downside is that it has to be compounded....but many of the small "mom and pop" pharmacies still have a "chemist" that will compound and flavor this drug for you. Something else that we are now using to manage pain, more specifically stress related to pain, is valium. In the past, primarily with head injuries, we just let them rest. Having great success with using a sedative such as valium to "chill out" pain and injuries.

The more skilled doctors will be very aggressive in pain management with rabbits. As we learn more, we see how pain affects everything else, especially the GI, in a rabbit. My vets are quick on the trigger at any sign of discomfort. And I do agree that our rabbits, or any other life, should not be overly medicated....but they shouldn't be undermedicated if the situation indicates treatment.

Randy

Thanks for the thorough explanation Randy.. As this morning - Baxter! is back to his old self throwing his food dishes around; DBF's, so I think I'll wait and watch - before giving him med's. Thanks to all for the quick replies..

Latest posts

Back