Bandit: rabbity antics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good, you'll have ages to find a new place if you have to. :)

Echoing Boomer's mama, a lot of the 'no pet' places seem to specifically refer to cats and dogs, and are usually okay with bunnies (especially under the pretense that they're caged 100% of the time... :p). When we were looking at properties a few months ago a few non-pet rentals said they were fine with rabbits; only one had a real problem with them, and their previous tenant had a dog that completely ruined the flooring in the front room so I guess they were hesitant of anything cute and fluffy.

Yeah, the only problem is that it seems with rentals, they're advertised within a couple of weeks of when they're available, so I can't really look ahead 2 months (if I have that much warning) and have time to find the most suitable place. Like you said though, when I used the pets allowed filter, I got very few properties. When I took it off, while looking through there are some that explicitly state "no pets" and other's that don't mention it, which leads me to believe that they don't mind if you have pets, but they'd prefer not to advertise it :p

Some of them do say pets negotiable, which is as you've said, probably dependent on the type of pet. If I do have to move, I'm hoping I can get a place with floorboard or tiles in the main living areas so I don't have to worry about Bandit and carpet :p

I bought him some baby cos/romaine lettuce today. He hasn't had it in ages, which in hindsight means I shouldn't have given him a whole leaf. But his little eyes lit up with excitement when I gave it to him. He devoured it in no time, and he's been fine, so I suppose that general feeding of herbs and other things has kept his tummy adjusted. I've been cooking with more fresh veg lately, and I always cut him off a tiny piece of carrot, and sometimes some of those tiny broccoli leaves from the stalk.

Well it's been an interesting day... granted most of it was fairly boring spent tidying up the house etc. However, I realised I had to go out to get some more kitty litter. Where I buy it from is next to a bunnings store and SA Dog rescue was selling hot donuts there today so I decided that I'd do it today instead of tomorrow. I opened the roller door, backed the car out the driveway, before getting out to close the roller door again. There in front of me was a dead possum. Poor thing had crawled under my car to die. I know it hadn't been in my car because it was already in rigor mortis (I poked it with a stick, lol). At a loss of what to do at that immediate moment, I continued out to the store and figured it would give me time to think about who to call (since I don't have anywhere I can bury it). I stopped in at bunnings first to get some delicious hot donuts. At the pet store I saw some cheap cat food so I got that as well to donate to the rescue group. The lady tells me the cost of the two bags of litter and the cat food and I nearly died. Turns out, my $20 bags of kitty litter have gone up to $29!!!! Absolute daylight robbery. Too stunned to think straight and only buy one bag instead, I pay for the lot and walk out. So now I'm going to have to find a new pet store to get the litter from.

Back at home, I ring the vet clinic across the road and explain my dilemma about the possum. They say they'll take it, so I triple bagged it and took it over to them. Now I just have to figure out what to do about the bit of blood and goo on the pavers, if I hose it off it'll spray around, but what do I disinfect it with first? Any ideas?

No Bandit news today, he's just been running around like a nut case, jumping here and there, and eating, always eating.

Yeah, I didn't have any bleach, but I used some vinegar and some bathroom disinfectant stuff, lol. Should do the trick. :p

Usually I get up for work at 5am, yesterday (Monday) morning when I woke up, it was daylight. My thought process was "it's daylight... I thought it was Monday and I had work today *checks phone* It IS Monday and I do have work today! My gosh, it's already 2 hours past my starting time!!!" So for whatever reason, I surmised that either my alarm didn't go off (which has never happened before) or I slept through it (which has also never happened before since I'm a light sleeper). I rang work straight away, turns out no one had even missed me, lol. Since I work all over the store and just go about my stuff, sometimes I don't see people for a few hours, so no one noticed I was missing, haha. Anyway, after all that I got to work 2 1/2 hours late, nobody seemed to care too much, which was good.

After I got home from work, I reset my phone and then checked to make sure the alarm was set for Tuesday. Before I went to bed, I double-checked that the alarm was set. Tuesday morning, I wake up "Crap, it's daylight again. Definitely the alarm not going off." So once again, I get to work 2 1/2 hours late, once again, no one noticed or cared. Haha, I think because it's very unlike me they realised it wasn't an issue, I don't know. After work, I went straight to the shopping center (bad idea, 2nd day of school holidays) and bought myself an alarm clock :p So now I have my phone alarm, and this obnoxious sounding alarm clock set for 5am tomorrow. We'll see how it goes, I'm probably going to jump out of my skin when it goes off. On the plus side, I've been feeling really well rested the past two days :D It's also been really nice leaving for work with daylight as opposed to total darkness.

Bandit nipped me today, but to be fair we had a bit of an awkward pick up for a cuddle in which there was some flailing bunny, so I suppose he was probably just telling me off for that. Otherwise, he is super cute, as always. In regards to possibly moving house, I've actually been getting probably too excited about the thought of having somewhere pet friendly, and the possibility of Bandit having his own room and NIC cage etc, haha. While moving is a pain in the butt, it is somewhat of a good opportunity in that sense. :)

I know how you feel about moving! My partner and I are planning on making a big move to Melbourne in a couple of years, and we were talking about it a few nights ago. I mentioned that if we had a nice smallish place the bunnies might be able to free-roam, as long as bun-proofed it, and the look of panic on his face made me laugh. :D

How strange about your alarm! Glad you got an alarm clock to sort it out. I'm a heavy sleeper so I've slept through mine a few times, it's always a panic when you wake up and realise.

Oh no.... i always have that worry that my alarm on my phone will one day not go off and i wont make it to work on time!!! Glad you have a job where it isn't a huge problem if your MIA for a little while... my job i cant be late or else all hell will break loose !

Oh dear Bandit. don't bite your mummy. You are right... he is super cute so i'm sure he was forgiven instantly.
I hate packing and moving but i LOVE being in a new house and getting to re organise my house each time i move. I hope that the next time i move it will be the last move EVER, i hope to buy soon. pay off my own mortgage instead of someone else's.

Hahaha I slept though my alarm for my train station and woke up in Bondi Junction instead of Kings Cross lol my boss wasn't to happy when I missed morning PT cause I was 20mins late...woops.
I love moving! It feels like Christmas unpacking everything in the new place but I also can't wait to buy a house of my own so I can finally get a puppy.
Good luck with the new alarm clock tomorrow!
~Shell

I know how you feel about moving! My partner and I are planning on making a big move to Melbourne in a couple of years, and we were talking about it a few nights ago. I mentioned that if we had a nice smallish place the bunnies might be able to free-roam, as long as bun-proofed it, and the look of panic on his face made me laugh. :D

I've been planning out every new place in my head, lol. My fiance and I need a study, and since he gets pet allergies, I can't keep Bandit in "his" study where he'll spend most of his spare time, so we essentially either need a third bedroom, or a somewhat separate living area space where I can make him fit. I don't mind having him in the main living area, but I think family and friends might mind when they came over :p My hope is that he can be mostly free range, hopefully with floorboards or tiles so there's no carpet pulling, and then I can build a C&C cage :D

Can't believe how much my life revolves around that little ball of fluff now, lol.

Way overdue bed time, will see how that new alarm clock works :D If I'm not on tomorrow night, the shock of it has given me a heart attack, lol.

you are not wrong about lives revolving around them!
when i am looking at houses to BUY i look what suits for Boomer too... i dont think a little bunny should be the end decision if the house is suitable, but HE IS ! he NEEDS a enclosed yard and he NEEDS his own room or basement or living area, because i sure am NOT replacing more cables when he runs around free unsupervised for even 2 minutes. (god knows i'm the only one paying attention when he is out so if i'm not watching then i know he will be safe in "his room" when my boyfriend is suppose to be watching him.

Good luck on house hunting... i know the rental market here is ridiculous ! even the crap houses have LOTS of people come through and apply. can't get anything less than $350 here a week. a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom with only street parking across the road from me is $400! CRAZY !

I wonder if that alarm worked........ just be like me and drink heaps of fluids before bed.. you are guaranteed to be awake before 5am and peeing every hour after that, even if you did manage to get back to sleep.

Subterranian fencing should be a concern, as well. Bunnies can dig dig dig!!!! 1meter under ground is how deep the fence should go. Also, overhead fencing should be a concern for birds of prey.

Trix is only outside on my shoulder as a result of these concerns.

Haha, I know... I keep thinking I should be looking at houses that better suit my needs as a person, but Bandit is really the deciding factor on most of them, lol.

I would like if the yard was very secure, but it's not as high on the list of priorities since he only goes outside 100% supervised anyway, and if the yard isn't secure we'll just continue to use the harness and leash.

And thankfully, yes, the alarm did work. In fact my phone alarm also went off, so I don't know what its deal is.

LOL, typical... you buy something to replace something and the old thing ends up working again anyways...

I have to factor not only the rabbit, but the kid and now the boyfriend who thinks he gets to move in to my new house (ok i guess he can)
house hunting / moving is stressful at the best of times. add animals just takes it that extra stress level up

Yeah, kids are a big issue to factor in. Fortunately I don't have to worry about that, although I think my fiance counts as a big kid, lol.

Bandit was especially cute today, doing lots of binkies and racing back and forth. He loves play time :)

I had the best sleep last night, 12 pretty solid hours, really needed them though since I've been getting 3-6 hour nights most of this week (apart from the failed alarm days). My mum and her partner came over yesterday afternoon to help me out a bit. In reality they didn't do a whole lot, but it made things easier simply to have the support and it helped boost my motivation. They have one of those karcher window cleaners so he did all the outsides of the downstairs windows for me, they look worlds better for it. He also pruned my roses. Then my mum wiped down the blinds in the bathroom which were super dirty and are a pain to clean and washed some dishes for me. At the end of it all, my mum was pretty tired, I think the stairs took it out of her more than anything, but she doesn't have a lot of energy since her radiotherapy and chemo still. That ended over a year ago. So the house is looking pretty good for the inspection tomorrow afternoon. All that remains is to put my washing away, put Bandit in his hutch and clean the laundry, and just a few little things to tidy up (make the bed, couple of things on kitchen counter, wash dishes etc). So it should be pretty easy. I hope it sells straight away, lol, then I don't have to worry about it as much anymore :p

Bandit's been really good, my mum was amazed at how big he was (he's really not that big, I don't know why everyone thinks he is) and she thought he was really adorable. She gave him head pets :)

Also I have no idea what just happened, but there was just a super loud bang/explosion/gun shot sound from down the street. Sounds like some teenagers creating some sort of chaos and I heard a loud "I told you so" from one of them afterwards.

Good luck with the open house! I hope the house sells quickly so you can get it dealt with asap. :p

People say that about Clementine too! I guess it helps that she's often next to Felix, so there's a big ball of 1.8kg fluffy lop next to a tiny 1.1k nethie.

Thanks, people coming through at the moment. So far a young couple that are probably buyers to own, and another couple that were investors according to the agent. I'm just glad there's people coming through after all the time I spent cleaning it up, lol. Still, it's such a nice winter day and I wish I could be out photographing birds, but it's just not to be :p

Bandit was in a bit of a huff after I put him out in his hutch, but I'm sure he's surviving. I think he's about 3kg, which I suppose compared to Clemmie is big, but he's really only on the small-medium size.

I'd love a bigger bunny in future - 3kg sounds like a lovely size, but still a relatively small animal. Compare our guys to flemmies and we'll see who the big bunnies are! :p

Back