Bales of hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
Ok so I have feed stores that sell bales of hay. I live in texas for goodness sake we have a feed store on every corner. LOL

And I live very close to alvin so I can get them from farms to.

Point being I live in a one bedroom apartment. Have a four door car.

How do you store if you dont have a barn or live in a apartment and will the hay be good as long as it would last storm.

And how do you transport cause the bales I see wont fit in my car:twitch:

Right now I have a 30 pound box of ox bow. But it cost me 40 bucks. I have had it for a little over a month and it will most likly last another 6 months for just storm.Is it worth it for me to getone.

I have not priced them. But according to make people on the forum they rage from3 to 17 bucks for 60 pounds of hay.

Any Advice.

Thanks in Advance

Hi Mrs PBJ

I just recently bought a bale of hay fo $60.00 not cheap in this part of Canada, but still alot cheaper than $20.00+ for 96 ounces.

When we picked it up they had put it in huge garbage bags. My hubby's car is a fair size so we put it in the back seat.

I bought a Hay Bale Bag from the States to store it in and just love it. It has zippers to keep the hay from getting all over the place. It also has a bunch of air holes so the hay dosen't get mouldy.

We keep it in our basement. Now you having only a one bedroom apartment may be difficult for you to store it.

Susan:)

I have managed to fit 3 bales of hay in my Golf. I also have a friend who put a bale of hay across the back seat and two in the trunk.

My procedure is to buy the biggest black garbage bags possible. Put the bales in the bags, normally to bags per bale to cover it properly. Then stuff it in the car.

I have used large rubbermaid tubs to store hay. You can break it up or keep one in the biggest sized one.

I built a stand for my NIC condo, so I could slide the rubbermaid bin underneath.

Also, do you have balcony? If so, look into getting a "deck bin". They look like a bench, but the top flips up with tons of storage. You could easily fit a full bale in one of those.

--Dawn

Well to transport ours we just put the bale in the back of our moms ford explorer. and we store the hay on top of one of the wood hutches. its hard to get it up there!!

If you can fold down the seats in your car you may be able to fit it in there, and like other said store it in bin bags or rubbermaid containers :)

The hay I get is $6 - $9 for a bale. The first thing you should do is get something to put the hay in. Like Dawn and Susan said, use a large, I meanthe largest and thick plastic bags to put it in, because it can be messy. (Note: the large garbage bags I had was not big enough to get the hay in, I don't remember what size they were, but I have to look for even larger ones).

I also found some big boxes that a bale would fit in. Can you imagine what a Christmas tree box looks like? That's what I got and it is very handy as it opens from the top side like a trunk.

If the bale won't fit in your car or trunk, would you be able to strap it to your roof?

I get the big rubbermaid tubs that hold 18 gallons--that holds around 30-40lb of hay for me. Just leave the lid open and keep in a cool, dry place (mine is in the cleaning/bunny closet).

I have rubber maid containers from when we moved I never buy boxes I have to big huge ones the biggest I have ever seen.

I can store on of those in my closet.

Will the hay stay good for as long as it would last storm. He is only 2 pounds I do plan on getting a second bun. But they wont bebig either. Storm does eat hay likes its going outof style. But like I said the 30 pound box has lasted for a month and will probally last another 6.

My back seat might workthey look huge but if I break it upat the feed store or have the feed store do it for me. It shouldfit.

I have a Jeep Compass. I am able to get 2 bales in the back if I fold the seats down. I used to have friends go with me. We'd split the bale, put it in bags, and each load some up. Of course, none of us are really fussy about our cars. We'd just stop at a car wash or gas station and vacuum them out afterward.

Hey Stan Canadian Tire sells huge green garbage bags. They are called"Giant". We actually use them for garbage day due to the fact we have lots of garbage from the "Babies" and are only allowed 4 bags every 2 weeks.

Susan:)

SOOOSKA wrote:
Hey Stan Canadian Tire sells huge green garbage bags.
Thanks Susan. :D I was there last Saturday, buying a new snow shovel. Maybe I drop by again this week, because I am going to need more hay soon.

Back