Baci~ hoping it's not a repeat.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hln917

Reaction score
Baci is not eating his lettuce, at least not on his own. I would tease him with it until he gets mad then he'll eat a couple of pieces. He ate some pellets and very little hay. He's drinkingwater though. He's pooping and peeing but not alot. Just fed him 2 doses of simethicone today and he ran into the potty after the last dose about 20 minutes ago and did his thing. He's running around but I can tell he's just not himself. Should I start the bene bac now? If he's just having a lazy day, will it cause any harm?

Guess it's not a good day for Helens today as now it's my turn to worry!

Thanks Angieluv. Just gave him a dose and now just wait and see. Guess I'll be sleeping on the couch tonight again!

Ok~ I think we've been had. We decided to let Baci stay out tonight to get him running more. Poor Sebastian had to stay in the bedroom tonight. Not a happy bun. We gave Baci some benebac and simethicone. He ate some pellet while in his cage and he's been drinking water. Still no lettuce though. We let him out and he's been running for the last 3 hours, jumping on the couch and chasing my husband and I everytime we get up. He's also leaving poop by the girls' cage. How pathetic we are getting excited over watching him poop and then we start counting. The more, the merrier. However he still hasn't really eaten the last couple of hours, just drinking water. He's acting normal but just won't eat. Planning to stay out with him tonight. Do you think we should add some oats to his pellets to get him eating more?

I wouldn't add oats because I think they increase bad bacteria and gas in the belly, not decrease it. Foods high in carbohydrates increase the growth of the bad bacteria. It sounds like he's doing better--maybe some light massage or a heat source would help.

hln917 wrote:
He's acting normal but just won't eat. Planning to stay out with him tonight. Do you think we should add some oats to his pellets to get him eating more?

What time does he usually eat? And is he getting hay? Grass hay and water is always the best thing. What kind of pellets is he getting? What about veggies?

Its probably temporary, if he had an upset, all the running around will be breaking up the gas bubbles and he'll be feeling better regardless.

But you do have to figure out what's causing these episodes. He may be getting a veggie that doesn't agree with him, or he's on too much of a carb and/or protein-rich diet (alfalfa, fruits, grains, etc).

Or he could have an underlying illness/ailment. I'd check his teeth just to make sure he doesn't have anything stuck in them (you won't be able to see molar spurs, etc, a vet will have to look and may not see them without x-rays) and watch the way he chews.

Watch his output, make sure he's not straining to pee and he doesn't have small, misshapen or runny poops.

Check him over carefully for lumps, bumps, sensitive areas, etc.

Let us know how he's doing!

sas :clover:

Well I let him stay out all night and I can hear his little feet running all over the place even jumped up on my face on the couch and scared the heck out of me! However he didn't poop last night and had little pee.
Now I'm concern. He's still running this morning, we just put him back in his cage for an hour to get the others out and hoping he'll eat.

His diet hasn't changed. He's on Oxbow Timothy pellet and Timothy hay and baby romaine lettuce, the boxed kind. He didn't fail the treat test b/c we gave him only 1 craisin to see if he'll eat it and he ate that no problem. I'm going to give him more simethicone shortly. That seemed to help with his poop yesterday. And if no food by 11am, we'll start the critical care. He just had this bout in Sept and it lasted 1 1/2 weeks. Needless to say, I'm really nervous it may be a reaccurrence.

Main thing is to push the fluids. Get him drinking as much as possible, and push wet and dry fiber (canned pumpkin and hay).

You may try putting a second crock of water spiked with a little apple juice or whatever he likes. (Start with as little as you can get away with, a couple of tablespoons, increase it if you have to).

If that doesn't work, well-soaked Critical Care would be good.

How much has he eaten in the last 24 hours? Does he normally poop overnight? What did the poops by the girls cage look like?

Could he have chewed anything like carpet fibers?

Is he molting?

Last time he had his pellets and some hay was yesterday. I just annoyed him with a couple of pieces of lettuce that he ate. He's drinking water on his own however right after he was making smacking noise in his mouth, not the grinding kind. He just pooped some more of course in front of the girl's cage, normal looking poop. He normal poops ALOT overnight but not as much since Wed night. He's not molting this time around. Not sure if he may have chewed on some carpet fiber. He'll come running thinking he's getting a treat, so he has an appetite for that, but he'll go up to his pellets and sniff and run away. Not sure what it is now.

We gave Baci some Critical care and Pedialyte. After taking them, he ran into his house and nibbled on some hay. My husband just told me he started to massage him to see if he can feel any bumps. When he went to massage above his jaws, he started grinding. Do you think it can be his teeth? Not sure what molar spur is.

Grinding and not purring? Did he pull away?

A molar spur is a little point on his back molars that can be rubbing against his cheek or tongue causing discomfort. Its especially common in short-faced breeds like Netherland Dwarfs and Holland Lops.

Other breeds may be more prone to tooth root issues, where the root gets elongated (as they all do with age) and can cause an abscess in the jaw and/or other issues. How old is Baci? No runny nose, weepy eyes or slightly wet muzzle?

Dental issues (and any issue, really) will cause gastric distress as a side effect from the pain/stress/discomfort.

Does he like the Critical Care and seems hungry when he's eating it?

And are the other guys eating the same pellets as usual? They're not even slightly more reluctant to eat them?

We estimate Baci to be a little under 2. We've been giving him the CC today. He's eating but not happy about being fed. He had a couple pieces of lettuce before after we gave him a dose of benebac. Then he tried to eat pellet and that's when I noticed he was having trouble chewing. He doesn't push away when hubby rubs his jaw. He grinded his teeth after the first time and not the second. He's acting normal running just not really eating therefore not pooping and peeing as much.

Hubby is at the vet with him now. She said his jaw is swollen so they are giving him a sedative to try to look inside. I'm just a nervous wreck now waiting for the next update. Keep your fingers crossed for Baci please!

Baci's home and resting. Yes it was a dental problem. The back teeth were growing inward and apparently his tongue and cheeks were lacerated from him chewing on them. The vet filed down his teeth. She didn't see any infection and hopefully he'll resume to eating on his own. Poor thing is still a bit sleepy. We're just monitoring him closely now and if he doesn't eat on his own, we'll feed him more CC. Thanks for all the help and good wishes! You guys have been so wonderful and it's great comfort to be able to share my concerns knowing you guys understand.

Poor bunny:(
My rabbit beau has been through all this.

Iwould suggest that you get some pedialyte and also some pure canned pumpkin( unseasoned ) to add to his diet.
you may need to syringe fluids because often they do not want to drink or eat following dental work.
My rabbit Beau always eats a soft diet of critical care( apple banana flavor and oxbow BBT). I make it into a gruel and he eats it on his own.
if your rabbit has not had critical care before you may need to syringe it .

Thanks Angieluv. One of the first thing he did when he came home was drink water. We also will give him some Pedialyte when we feed him. Unfortunately he won't eat the pumpkin on his own. We do have Critical Care for him. We've been feeding him thru a syringe. He hates it. Does Critical Care come in a flavor? He may like it better with flavor.

The critical care comes in anise flavor which is the least preferred ; they like the apple banana the best ; the apple banana has a really goodsmell

Beau just got used to eating the gruel on his own because he doesn't have enough teeth to chew anything and I believe that he has so much gum inflammation that he cannot even gum hay and veggies like some buns.

Latest posts

Back