Baby Tans

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard complaint that they can be mean. Boys I generally notice with any breed are more docile and sweet. But the more common complaint I hear is that they are too hard to get bred and/or bad mothers. There is a breeder that did a special talk at the ARBA convention all about small breeds and breeding. She raises dwarfs. If I could somehow get you that powerpoint Im sure that would be a big help. Ill try to pm it to you. LOL TN is definitely not far away! We drove through there when we went to the convention :) Right through nashville and memphis

Oh Elise I would love to see it!!!

I've heard the mean complaint and the breeder was forthcoming about some of her does being problematic. One doe lunged at the judges, apparently! But she was quick to reassure me that her bucks tend to be laid-back and my boy in particular is supposed to be the most laidback in his litter. I don't mind a lapbunny, trust me. :p I just don't want to wind up with a furry little monster out for blood! I probably got lucky with Heidi, she is super sweet and laidback. Her only problem is that she growls sometimes, haha. She boxed me for the first time two days ago - and it was my fault, I just startled her. But I hear so often that does are the spitfires and often have the behavioral problems.

Hopefully, so long as I'm gentle and raise him well, he won't turn out mean. :(

I've heard about the hard to breed thing... Lots of things said that their babies died often. Maybe a "normal" rabbit would be best for a first-time show and breeder... No rush on sending the powerpoint! If you do find it, I'd love to see it. I'm probably at least a year away from doing anything in terms of showing/breeding but I can't turn down some good information and reading material. :)

Wow! I live about 2 hours away from Nashville. I didn't realize there were "conventions". I will have to investigate this further! :p I can just imagine my family's reaction when I explain to them that I want to go to Texas to get a rabbit. They already view them as "livestock" so they'd probably think I was going crazy LOL.

I think you should be okay with a male. I definitely notice that they are much sweeter. Ill try to see if I can get the PowerPoint sent to you. Haha about your family. It's okay we're all a little bit off in some way or another I know I am lol. The next rabbit convention is in Pennsylvania (around Halloween this year) and in 2014 it will be in ft worth Texas! Yay!

Good news!! Serena is so fat and officially nesting!! Before pregnancy she weighed 4lb 15oz and today she topped out at 5lb 8oz!! I'm hoping for a big litter!! She should have them on Sunday and I cannot wait! Ill attach some nesting pictures :)

Also beyonce was bred for the last round today. If she doesn't take this last time it will be a year in August since she had her first litter. Chances are she won't conceive after that so I might have to find her a pet home. Now to just find the right person. . .

44052778-6EC4-4869-83FB-4042E360D843-1465-0000014898BC72D2_zps68ce72d0.jpg

8DC656C2-A7F1-4168-983C-27C7D28FE115-1465-00000148AA2531BA_zpsd63e121f.jpg

C56F44E9-7C55-4749-A25E-11A79E957BC8-1465-00000148A09EFF23_zpsc997b1ce.jpg

How cute! I love the mouth stuffed full with hay! :D Congrats on the expectant mum. I would totally offer Beyonce a pet home if I was anywhere near you, lol. Random question, how long have you been breeding for?

Hahahaha. The haystache! How cute! I love those. Congrats Serena for the babies! Hopefully everything goes smoothly and you have a big healthy litter!

Those blue babies have the sweetest little faces! I love them all!
The spot on Ava's head, will that go away? Is that a baby thing? I think its really cute! If it doesn't go away, is she unshowable? Either way, they're all beautiful!

Last edited:
Man I can't believe it's been so long!! Ive been breeding and raising rabbits for 6 years come this October. I started raising cals my senior year in high school for FFA.

I love the haystache too!! It means there's babies on the way!! :D

The spot on Ava's head will go away eventually. She is still young and changing coats. Dino actually had the same exact thing on his head and so does sal lol. Once they completely molt out of their baby coat it will go away. I hope she has a big healthy litter also! I have quite a few people on a waiting list!

We brought Serena inside yesterday to have her litter, partly because of the temps but mostly because she is so close to kindling that we didn't want to take the chance of her freaking out when the fireworks went off last night. She's a little cramped because we can't have her size cage inside, but it's only temporary. :)

I definitely will! Cant wait to post pictures!! Im thinking blacks, maybe a chocolate, possibly a blue. Im not really sure. Shoot she might even have a lilac LOL.

Sarah, how do the ear tattoos work? I saw on Kaley's blog that the little Cream D'Argent has a tattoo in her ear at the shelter. Can you identify them by their tattoos, like back to the owners? Are they registered by tattoos? Or are the tattoos just for the owners identification purposes?

Like with my chickens, like I said in Kaley's blog. My chickens have wing bands with numbers special to me. So they're logged into a USDA database and can be traced back to my house through my NPIP premise number. So if I sold them and they're sick or whatever, they could look at the band number and find me through the numbers.

I think that if the tattoos are only for ID purposes of the breeder, they should change it to catalog them in a system for ID's in case they get lost or stolen. I know sometimes they come up missing from the shows, which is terrible. But if they had a number or whatever, then they could be traced back to the original owner. Thats probably a lot of paper work though, because I'm sure its a lot of rabbit. I don't know how it works though!

Can't wait to see Serena's babies!

You could only trace the owner back to a tattoo if the rabbit is registered. Tattoos are mostly used as an ID system, but it's also required to show them. If the rabbit is registered then it will have another tattoo in the right ear - either an 'R' with a circle around it or the registration number.

I'm definitely a little crazy, hehe. My family thinks I'm insane for paying $50 for a rabbit - so if I stacked a road trip to Texas on top of a similar price tag, they would probably consider getting me some professional help... There's no help for bunny lover fever, though. ;)

Love the pictures of your girl nesting! The picture of her haystache is hilarious, she is a mommy on a mission! You can almost see her determination to make her nest in her eyes.

I hope my boy isn't aggressive or anything. :( I'm always so nervous before I get a new animal, regardless of species.

Just snapped a couple of pics of the babies :) We have one black and one chocolate. I tried sexing and I think one is a boy and the other is a girl but i cant remember which is which lol. Babies were born July 7th. Sorry Im so late getting pics up But here they are :D

My next show is the last weekend in august and Im excited to see how toni,sal, and ava do compared with the blues that are growing up. Man the blues are so gorgeous and the tan factor is just wonderful! I think I might consider specializing in blues :p

A88BC7D7-3A30-423A-99BC-67EDBC9D41FB-1075-00000114085B8231_zps544188ff.jpg

35632DBB-1369-4ADC-988C-A40DB0F5424D-1075-0000010CA1FA1C33_zps591b9014.jpg

F758590C-70EB-4FD5-9089-D128B290E0A8-1075-0000010CA8436DC9_zps78ef9e13.jpg

Back