Baby kits what to expect?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amofky34

Reaction score
First off let me say this. I Will appreciate any help and pictures to help in comparison to my new kits! Our doe is still under a year and has had 7 kits this morning one was still born and the other 6 are in the nesting box. So here goes the questions.....

1. We know the kits came early they shouldn't be here until 12/1, they are really tiny do they move usually in day one?

2. We know the date due to the accidental conception when she had her first litter on 10/31 (they all died but looked much bigger and actually had a pattern you could see) ... We had no clue she was expecting and by the time we got the rabbits separated in opposite cages she must have gotten knocked up again.

3. These are my daughter's pets and she wants to eventually show rabbits for 4H. She was so heartbroken last time so we are hoping these aren't already dead or dieing.

4. The doe stays in the nesting box and lays around we are afraid she is gonna kill them.

Any hope or advice to safely have a litter will help.

Kits generally stay huddled up sleeping in the nest under mom's fur until she hops in to nurse them. Then they will get squirmy and noisy. They will also get this way when you pick them up to check them(being done very carefully so they don't squirm out of your hand). If they aren't reacting in this way then it sounds like they may be underdeveloped and/or weak. It might also be helpful for you to post pictures of the kits, to evaluate their development. But if they really were born that early, there's a good chance they are too underdeveloped and won't survive, so best your daughter is prepared for that likely outcome.

The doe shouldn't be in the nesting box with them except when she needs to nurse them in the morning and evening. Otherwise she could injure them. I would suggest putting in another box with bedding and hay, that she can hang out in by herself. If she continues to stay in the nest box, I would consider removing it and only returning it in the morning and evening for her to nurse the babies. You'll need to keep a close watch the first 24-36 hours, to make sure she nurses them and they have full bellies. If she doesn't feed them then you will likely need to intervene and very carefully help them nurse off of her. Make sure they have nice round bellies after nursing.

Take a look at this link for tips on caring for an accidental litter.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

Thanks for the reply. We placed another box in there and she wouldn't get in. So we are gonna go in and take the nesting box out I'm sure the ones in there are possibly gone. If so we are going to empty out the cage and let her be a lone doe for a bit at least till spring. The kits are very tiny they are maybe 75% the size of the full term ones last time. We will upload and update when we go in after she goes to sleep.

Were the kits dead? Just curious, do you know how the first litter died? If you want to give her one more chance at having a successful litter you can. After that I would stop. Some does just don’t make good mothers. Your daughter can still show her though.

Back