Baby Bunnies Finally!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The breeder who I bought my lucy from had a peanut named caramel from the same litter who lived well past the six weeks, he died after about 2-3 months. I wouldn't hold out hope for the peanut to live much longer than that.
I know it sounds cruel but in some cases especially when the peanut is that small it's best to just euthanise the poor thing. (The sooner the better)

Thanks Ali. :)

Saudade I would ethuanize it but I don't have anything to do that and wouldn't know how either.

Since its early we haven't check on them yet. I'm only awake because I am babysitting. So we will be checking on them in a few hours.
And of course there will be more pics, will take some this morning and tonight! They are so wriggly its hard to get good pics.

At that age putting them in a freezer kills them quickly and painlessly. They go to sleep before they're in any pain and then pass away quickly.
Dear god it makes me sick to talk about...
I shouldn't of suggested it, but sometimes you have to think of these things... Especially with peanuts, I can't help but get attached to them.

How can one say it is painless? They feel pain so you can not tell me if you put a human baby, or even yourself, in a freezer you would not feel pain before you went numb.

bunnybunbunb wrote:
How can one say it is painless? They feel pain so you can not tell me if you put a human baby, or even yourself, in a freezer you would not feel pain before you went numb.
Comparing a human to a rabbit is pointless and irrelevant to say the least.

Baby rabbits cannot hold heat until they are fluffies, as most of us know, so they rely on the outside temperature and what is in the nest. Therefore, if you put one into a freezer, it will take about 7 seconds for it to go numb and "turn off" and a further 10 or so seconds for it to die.
You can easily use cervical or spinal dislocation, both of which are quick and painless if done well.

"Freezing is not considered humane unless the animal is unconscious first. Extremities hurt really badly when they get really cold, right? So let's not put those baby bunnies in a ziploc baggy in the freezer, out of sight, out of mind. Which happens first, suffocation or freezing? Feet freeze first right?"

I have heard of hitting the baby on the head and then putting it in but never putting it straight in. I know baby bunnies that have layed out on the wire for over 10 minutes in the winter and still be alive. Barely but nevertheless a live. I highly doubt after only 17 seconds the baby dies.

"Comparing a human to a rabbit is pointless and irrelevant to say the least. "

Not when it comes to pain. Animals and humans both feel pain, even Bees feel pain. A baby rabbit would be no diffrent.

Well we won't have to do that anyway. The last little baby was dead this morning. So now we have only the four healthy chunky ones.

I took a few pics of them this morning and will have them up soon. And I will take more pics later.

Okay here are the pics from this morning.

101_5431.jpg
Litter of four. 6 days old.

101_5434.jpg
6 days old.

A couple of my sister's and I friends were over when we fed the buns and they were shocked to see such tiny bunnies! And the little boy I am babysitting was wanting to hold them, of course we didnt let him since he's only two.

So I will go take more pics in about 1 hour or so.

Sorry to hear about the little ones - my former Hollands produced peanuts here and there and sadly, they fade.

But the litter full of wriggly, soft babies is great - I am loving watching them mature!

Denise

Thanks Denise.
I know I can't believe this guys are already almost a week old! I would usually have one named by now, but its hard when they all look the same! I have several names in mind though, so soon I will be testing them out on a baby.

Aw sorry about the last little guy :(
but I guess it is what comes with breeding. The rest are big, strong and healthy looking and are adorable!!

I am sorry to hear about the two little kits. (I wasn't able to read most of this thread due to time limits (roommate), so I only skimmed through). I'm sorry to hear that those two didn't make it, though. :hug:

Sorry I didn't get the other pics from last night uploaded! I was going to once I got to my dads, butI didn't get there until late. So here they are!! The babies at 6 days old!

101_5435.jpg

101_5438.jpg

101_5439.jpg

101_5441.jpg

101_5442.jpg

Were still at our dads house so there will be 1 week old pics coming later today!

Latest posts

Back