Ashen is peeing right next to letterbox?not drinking much

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elleecrawford

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for reading this. Ashen is my 6 year old neutered mini lop, and he has always peed in his litter box. He always has a couple of pellets that don't reach the litter box but he ALWAYS pees 100% in his litter box. Yesterday he peed a couple of times right next to the litterbox. I just cleaned it up and didn't give it a second thought. But today, he peed again right next to the litter box. There is also a big, flat, mass of poop in the pee. He is eating normally, but barely drinking any water. He normally drinks a lot, but his water bowl was almost at the exact same level 24 hours ago. Should I take him to the vet, or is there anything I can do at home?

Is his poop quite mushy, or is it watery? Water diarrhea is an emergency for rabbits. If he's peeing a lot and has mushy poop, combined with not drinking, I would be very concerned about dehydration. The fact that he's missing his box after years of perfect litter habits is to me a warning sign that something is wrong and I would personally be making a vet appointment. In the mean time, you could try syringing water into his mouth from the side, just to keep him hydrated, or if he's eating well and is used to leafy greens, wet some down with water and feed those to him.

Best wishes to your boy.

This sounded just like my rabbit! One day I found pee and poop in his tray. It turned out his little box was to small and he wasn't able to fit in it. Also move the litter box to where he peed on the wire. If he still pees next to it I would call your vet in case something is wrong.

~Breeding Quality Holland Lops Since 2012~

Back