Arizona Lion- Giant's Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vosify

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
As some of you already know, I had gotten a white female Flemish Giant a few months ago. Her names Nevada Nickels.
You can find her and Lion's adventures at their tumblr.
http://nevadanickels.tumblr.com/

But I also decided I should do a blog just for you guys thats based mainly on Arizona Lion.
My black and grey rescued male Flemish.

156vejn.jpg

Here I will share pictures and stories. Ask questions and seek out advice.
Can't wait to chat with you guys!

UPDATE - Jan - 09

Bah! So currently, as of this morning, Lion is at the vet getting fiixed.

I'm sure he will be fine, but i'm still stressing! I have another 5 hours to wait to go get him.
I haven't gotten a call yet, so i'm trying to take that as a good sign.

I sent him with his blanket, his hay ball, a chew log, and some pellets. Also his own litter, I know they have low litter pans there so he shouldn't have trouble using it if he feels up to it.

I'm just so scared something will go wrong.
I have his cage here at the office all set up, that way he's with me all day.
I started taking him to work a week ago so he would be relaxed here. I usually let him run loose, but I didn't want him to run bonkers afterwards so he could heal. So he has is small pen set up (A xpen for puppies) with a low litter box with the side cut out so he doesn't have to hop to high over.

Any suggestions for making Lion's after surgery better? I've never had a bunny fixed. Will he be loopy still like some dogs and cats when I pick him up? What should I really watch for if something is going wrong?​

Last edited:
I've had my girl bunny spayed, and yes, she was loopy for about two days. Make sure he drinks water and eats. Tippy wouldn't eat or drink at all so I had to take her back to the vet the next day for an IV. Got her rehydrated and she started nomming again. Apparently boys bounce back faster than girls, though....

I've had my girl bunny spayed, and yes, she was loopy for about two days. Make sure he drinks water and eats. Tippy wouldn't eat or drink at all so I had to take her back to the vet the next day for an IV. Got her rehydrated and she started nomming again. Apparently boys bounce back faster than girls, though....

Thanks! Is it okay to continue his veggies everyday?
He usually gets.

-Arugula
-Parsley
-Pieces of Broccoli stock
-Tiny bit of Apple+Banana in his push ball (Has to push and play with it to get the pieces to fall out.)

(all washed before served)

He also gets his Pellets, and unlimited hay. And a bowl of water(rinsed and refreshed everyday) , I don't trust water bottles.

I would love any pointers you guys can think of to make this better for him!

They will generally not eat pellets right after surgery. Mine were eating raisens and greens soon after surgery though.

Thanks you two! This does help since he hasn't really eaten any of his pellets yet.

UPDATE - Jan - 09

So he did fine through his operation! Thank god!

15dx9qc.jpg

He's a little restless, has already rearranged his cage alot. But he is eating and drinking.
Also he must have held his bladder the whole time at the clinic, because he abused the litter box as soon as he got out of the kennel.

WOOT! As I write this he's eating his pellets. So I think he will be just fine.
He is doing this pushing thing now though?
He pushes his litter around with his front paws, and he does it in his dig box?? I've never seen him do this before.
Thats all it is, *Push...Sit for a bit... Turn and push a little more in a different direction*
It's not a huge issue, its just new for him and I have no idea what it means.

2kr9yv.jpg

I hate to do this, but I think he needs a new name. The little boy who lived at his temp foster home had called him Lion.
I started to call him that, not sure if I was going to keep him or not.
This big guy has grown on me! So what do you guys think of the name.........

TUX?

35cn6n5.jpg

Last edited:
That's good to hear that he's eating and that he's recovering well after his neuter.

One of my girl rabbits does that pushing thing with her front paws a lot. It always looks like she is snowplowing or something. She'll do it with this bed sheet I have on the ground, like she's trying to smooth it out. I've also seen my rabbits do it outside when they are digging in the dirt. They do it to push the dirt out of the way of the hole they are digging. I would guess your bun has decided he has to rearange his 'stuff', so it's just the way he likes it :)

he's a real cutie - I'm glad his neuter went smoothly and he's bouncing-back well!

as a note, I see a treat log in the first pic... if what it's stuffed with contains any seeds/nuts, rabbits shouldn't have those. even if it doesn't, edible logs are full of a lot of extra sugar, so I recommend monitoring how quickly he consumes it (especially since you're letting him have his daily ration of fruit as well). if he just nibbles on it here and there, that's one thing... but some rabbits will go nuts on that sort of treat and it's best to take it away either entirely or for all but a short period each day ;)

he's a real cutie - I'm glad his neuter went smoothly and he's bouncing-back well!

as a note, I see a treat log in the first pic... if what it's stuffed with contains any seeds/nuts, rabbits shouldn't have those. even if it doesn't, edible logs are full of a lot of extra sugar, so I recommend monitoring how quickly he consumes it (especially since you're letting him have his daily ration of fruit as well). if he just nibbles on it here and there, that's one thing... but some rabbits will go nuts on that sort of treat and it's best to take it away either entirely or for all but a short period each day ;)

The log is full of hay mostly, but I agree they are not the best choice for most rabbits because they eat it to fast. Nevada (my female) would never get one, she would have it done in a day!

Tux has had that log for over a month and hasn't even finished half. It was also a gift from a friend, so not a normal buy for my bunnies. They usually are given cardboard and timothy hay based chew things such as balls and sticks.

Thanks for your advice regardless! Its much appreciated.

That's good to hear that he's eating and that he's recovering well after his neuter.

One of my girl rabbits does that pushing thing with her front paws a lot. It always looks like she is snowplowing or something. She'll do it with this bed sheet I have on the ground, like she's trying to smooth it out. I've also seen my rabbits do it outside when they are digging in the dirt. They do it to push the dirt out of the way of the hole they are digging. I would guess your bun has decided he has to rearange his 'stuff', so it's just the way he likes it :)

Thank you so much! I think that is what he's doing.

UPDATE - Jan - 09

Tux it is!

To start it off, Tux now has a cone... He tried to mutilate himself.
So I ran back to the clinic and grabbed it. I'll take it off a lot for him to eat and drink, and well, not have it on XD

Poor boy, I feel bad for him, but its for the better :l

256d4e8.jpg

aww, cone of shame :(

as a note, a good alternative to an e-collar is to place a gauze pad or two over the incision site(s) and then wrap no-chew vet wrap (bandage stuff that sticks to itself) around him 2-3 times - the vet wrap keeps him away from the incision and the gauze cushions the wound, since it's softer than vet wrap is. it's a lot less stressful for a bunny than a cone of shame.

if you do keep the cone on him, make sure to hand-feed him his cecals or take the cone off when it's time for him to eat them :)

I had a rabbit that had to have one of those collars on, that got really depressed and wouldn't eat, so I had to try something else. So definitely keep an eye on him.

Thanks! I'm going to go to the clinic tomorrow to get the vet wrap and gauze!
I think that's way better then a cone!! Thanks so much for the option!
Also I take it off a lot. He still eats his hay with it on, and he's already eaten his veggies and pellets for the day.
And I gave him a water bottle so he can drink with it on just fine.
He's a trooper.

UPDATE - Jan - 10

Tux is doing pretty good. He hasn't drank a lot (but has drank) He did eat his veggies, which were washed and not dried so I know he got some water that way too.
Also I got some vet wrap and tried just wrapping his torso so he couldn't bend to chew. (He was chewing, not just licking)
Took his meds amazingly this morning. The wrap is loose around his chest, didn't want to hinder his breathing at all. He's such a poofy boy!

So far the wrap is working! He can move freely and has eaten most of his pellets for today. Also still using the litter box :D
xgid6t.jpg

I'm going to give it until Saturday with the vet wrap as long as he's not showing to much discomfort or not trying to chew it off.
By then I'm sure it would healed enough for him to not want to tear at it.​

Just read your blog and Tux (I like the name change) is just gorgeous. I love his coloring and I noticed the white/grayish fur behind his ears in the picture where he was periscoping. How cool! I like his color.

Glad the neuter went well and in thunk the switch from cone to gauze was good. I've heard buns don't do too well with that cone.

I'm sure he will be back to normal very soon. Archie (my male) was neutered and the next day was up for adoption when I saw himmand it was like he hadnt even had a surgery. Males bounce back fairly well.

I will watch for more tux updates!! :)

Just read your blog and Tux (I like the name change) is just gorgeous. I love his coloring and I noticed the white/grayish fur behind his ears in the picture where he was periscoping. How cool! I like his color.

Glad the neuter went well and in thunk the switch from cone to gauze was good. I've heard buns don't do too well with that cone.

I'm sure he will be back to normal very soon. Archie (my male) was neutered and the next day was up for adoption when I saw himmand it was like he hadnt even had a surgery. Males bounce back fairly well.

I will watch for more tux updates!! :)

His coloring is for sure awesome! I love his white belly the best!
I'm sure he will be good in a few days!

I've never seen flemish his color before. I cant wait until I can start the long bonding process for him and Nevada once shes fixed.

I had to get the cone for Shiny Things after her spay. She HATED it and took it off of herself the first night it was on. She luckaly was not licking or eating her stiches, but did eat the bandage that held her fentanyl (sp?) patch on (pain medicine). We never found the patch but she is still doing good.

I like the name Tux for him. It works well for him. He is such a beautiful boy.

Latest posts

Back