Are these actually lionheads?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jynxie

Reaction score
I've been looking for a baby lionhead and I saw an ad online for babies.

These are the parents, but I'm wondering... Are these lionheads? They look too fluffy (all over the body) I haven't owned a lionhead or anything before.

So I was hoping someone could give me some input.

Thanks.

Pictures below.

dadbun.png

mombun.png

bothbuns.png

Thank you very much.

The only thing that made me nervous was the father, he seems to have long hair all over. Not just his mane and legs.

He is either a teddy lionhead (which he could be) - or he hasn't totally shed out.

Make sure that your breeder actually socializes her lionheads when they are young...and don't agree to buy one until you've actually held it, etc.

As a former lionhead breeder - I enjoy the breed...but I find that you can get some that aren't as nice as others depending upon their genes and their upbringing.

(I find it more so with lionheads than other breeds).

Jynxie wrote:
Will do.

Any other tips to look for?
This will be my first bunny. :3
First of all - you're gonna get way more than you probably want by asking me that question...but here is why.

As a lionhead breeder, I've seen many folks want a rabbit based on the 'cuteness' factor. Let's face it - lionheads ARE cute and its fun to show off a rabbit with a mane (till it loses the mane...which happens a lot and you need to know what to look for if you want a rabbit that will keep its mane).

When I would show people rabbits, I explained to them that I would be happy to help them pick a rabbit - but if I felt they were not a good match, I would not sell a rabbit. This may sound strange - but I have seen some rabbits totally ignore one person and appear to dislike them - and then 30 minutes later (we were at a show)- they were all over another person and licking them, etc. I think rabbits pick up on people and what they like about us and if a rabbit is really disinterested in someone or doesn't like them....it shows.

Also - there is a huge difference between having a rabbit you can look at and watch - or one that you can interact with and hold and play with. You need to ask yourself WHY you are wanting a rabbit.

Let me give you some examples based upon my rabbits.

Zeus is my bedroom bunny - he literally sleeps on the bed with me and is free-roaming. (He's litter box trained). He will lay beside me and let me pet him for hours. I can snuggle with him and put my arms around him and he's fine. Pick him up - and he fights and tries to bite and he'll struggle. But lay on his level and pet him -and he loves it and tooth purrs.

Angel is my polish and she has a cage although she gets lots of playtimes. She is scared around other bunnies - but she'll chase the dogs around the house and nip at their ankles if she gets mad. She LOVES it when I pick her up and hold her and snuggle her under my chin. I'll hold her close and then chin her with my chin for 10 minutes at a time sometimes...and she just lays there and tooth purrs. She's not big on pets or staying still beside me - but let me pick her up and snuggle her close to me and pet her and chin her and she is in heaven.

Cindy is a holland lop - and I love to watch her. She runs and binkies and plays and is just a hoot to watch (as are her two daughters). Let me pick her up...and she fights and scratches. I can sit on the floor and MAYBE pet her if she comes close enough (especially if I have treats)....but she's more of a "stay at a distance and let me entertain you" type of bun.

Yet Zuba and Finnster - my holland lop bucks - love to be held and petted and snuggled with. They do run and play when they get playtime outside...but when I open their door to give them food - I darn well better pet them also.

Finally - Jar Jar Binks - who loves to play outside. If I hold him close to my chest and he feels secure...he'll give me kisses for 20 minutes or more. (He's tried to french kiss me - YUCK). He just adores me and giving kisses. But he also loves to play. I wasn't going to get Jar Jar - I'd already decided to get two other e-lops when I got him - but the way he kept giving me kisses made me realize I wanted him too....and I'm so glad now that I got him.

I know I haven't talked about lionheads as I use these different rabbits - but the fact is -I've had lionheads that were the same as each of these rabbits. Some loved being held - others hated it. Some were kissers...others weren't.

You need to be able to be the "big kahuna" bunny with your rabbit - to get it in and out of its cage - to give it meds if needed, etc. So you need to make sure that you can handle your rabbit - from the start. You need to be able to flip it over so you can cradle it like a baby (sometimes you have to do this to give meds) and it needs to know it can NOT fight you and get away with it.

Too many people agree to buy a bunny based on looks only - without handling the rabbit.

Anyway - those are just my thoughts and observations....feel free to ignore them!

Check the rabbit over. The eyes should be clear with no discharge, same for the nose. Ears should also be clean. Check the teeth, they should be aligned right (you should be able to find pictures of what they should look like). Check the nails to see if they are really long and are all there (some can be broken off). If you know what to check for to determine the sex, take a look, if not get the breeder to double check for you. Feel the rabbit all over the body for any lumps or bumps and include the feet if you can. Since the parents are both quite fluffy, bring a comb to see if there are any mats or knots and tangles in the fur (not a huge deal as they can be cut out but something to look for). While you are brushing out, check for dandruff as this is a sign of mites and would need to be taken care of.
Pretty much just check them over to see if they are healthy. Discharge from the eyes or nose is not a good sign. Some rabbits don' have active discharge from the nose so check the insides of the front paws to see if they are wet or have a crustyness to them. The teeth are also important to check as it can be expensive to deal with.

No, no, I really appreciate it.

Pretty much, I want a cuddle bunny.
One I can cuddle with, likes being petted + giving kisses is a bonus.

But you said lionheads are all different, what should I look for when I pick one? I keep hearing males are more affectionate and usually like these things. Pick the one that likes to be handled the most?

I really want a bunny that will sit on my lap while I'm on the computer and such.

I really like lionheads, but if you think there would be better breeds (for cuddles) should I be looking into different breeds?

I do recommend a buck and I guess what I'm trying to say is don't just go by the looks - ask to handle the bunny before you buy it and ask her if the rabbits are handled a lot as they're growing up.

Also - do they grow up in a home - or outside in pens or something.

I find that the rabbits that are raised in a home environment and handled since they're young - are more likely to be cuddlers.

(Nobody told Angel that though...she was a retiring breeding bunny and she loves just being a pet now).

Reading over he ad she does mention that they're handled daily, and they don't mind at all about being handled at all.

So I'm hoping they'll like me once I meet them and hopefully she's right about them not minding being handled. :)

Good - if they're handled daily - you should be fine.

I just keep seeing (from experience) people wanting lionheads for looks only...

Wow, yep, they are beautiful, very fluffy Lionheads!
We have a single mane Lionhead. That's just as much fluff as I want to care for :)
Teddy our male Lionhead (was a rescue bunny) is the sweetest! He sits up on my shoulder when I watch tv and nuzzles into my neck, ahhh...pure joy!!

Cheyrul wrote:
Lionheads can lose they their manes? Do they grow back? Why do they lose them?
Its sorta long and complicated - I've shared it on here many times before and I'm sorta tired. So I'll give the short version.....

When you see a lionhead (either single mane or double mane)....if the mane looks "crimped" (curly - like you took a crimper to it) - then when the rabbit molts- the mane will most likely return.

However, if the mane is straight and not crimped (usually it is longer when it isn't crimped too)- then when the rabbit molts - the mane tends to not come back - or come back a little bit but not full.

It has to do with the genes somehow and the modifiers w/ the wool genes.

Interesting! When I got Sweetie, my female lionhead mix, I held her and such. On the way home she licked me and ate out of my hand. She had a full mane, she is a single mane lionhead. Now she has her mane but it isn't full, it is like a cat's mane if you have seen a main coon cat. I love her because she is little and she and I did bond instantly the day I got her.

Also if you get a baby, 8 weeks old, hold momma rabbit for a little bit before taking baby home with you. That will help you and the baby bunny bond better.

Sweetie's and my bond is inseparable, it is so tight that nothing can separate our bond. She gives me kisses all the time and I melt everytime she gives them.

Flipping the bunny and holding it like a baby, will take some time to accomplish. My Sweetie didn't like it at first but the more I did it the more she got used to it. Now she will let me hold her like a baby for a few minutes.

I hope that you and your bunny are best of pals from the start.

I have 5 lionheads that are all really friendly and cuddly :) I raised three of them myself so they are the friendliest. If they've been handled every day then they should be friendly

Are they quite young?

I have 5 lionheads that are all really friendly and cuddly :) I raised three of them myself so they are the friendliest. If they've been handled every day then they should be friendly

Are they quite young?

Back