Are specific breeds better/good with kids?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKGS

Reaction score
A good friend of mine is looking into getting a bunny. She has 2 children and is afraid though of having the same experience I had with Happy. Her girls would be heartbroken and scared if that happened to them. These are very mild mannered children and the ages are 8 and 5. She asked what breeds of rabbits are better with children.

The girls love Tony but mom isn't so thrilled about his size. He is a flemmie. She doesn't want a small rabbit but more of a in between size. I don't really know which breeds tend to carry the better personaliites for kiddos but said I'd ask here.

Does anyone have any opinions or thoughts on this?

BTW the children behave very well with my buns, even Abby liked them.

I think a larger rabbit is honestly the best option. Most larger breeds are more laid back, and are also more durable considering their size. Even the most gentle child can be clumsy, and a smaller rabbit is more likely to be injured. In my experience, many of the smaller breeds don't tolerate being picked up as well, either.

I would suggest a larger breed like a Flemish Giant (I know you said these are too big, but perhaps your friend would reconsider based on the breeds typical disposition), I met a few Checkered Giants who were very laid back.. from what I've read French lops have a similar disposition.

I think the most important thing is finding a breeder who socializes the babies well, and continuing with that, OR adopting an adult from a shelter with a known laid back demeanor.

I fostered a Mini Rex who was basically the perfect rabbit and I think he'd have tolerated handling by children very well. I've also had very laid back minilops.. It's difficult to tell what a rabbit's personality will be like based on breed alone..

I think they would do well going with the breeder I got Tony from but haven't convinced her of that as of yet. Tony has never minded being handled because his breeder did alot of this. From the moment he came here he has been very laid back about being handled.

I would strongly suggest she work with a rescue to fit her specific needs, then she can work with the personalities that the rescue is aware of so she'll be sure to get a bunny who works well with children. I'd definitely suggest going with an adult as well, since babies can be super sweet and raised in the most loving of homes and turn out to be quite fiesty and not suitable around children.

Even bigger bunnies can be a hit and miss with personalities. Bruno (my big french lop) was the sweetest bunny growing up and was handled often by his breeder, but he throws tantrums and would be extremely dangerous around younger children because he's just unpredictable.

So to sum it up.. I would either go with a rescue who knows their rabbits very well and is willing to work with your friend or with a breeder who has an older bunny that is extremely laid back.

Good luck for your friend and hope she finds the perfect bunny to fit her house hold :). I love rescues for these specific requirements because they often know their rabbits inside and out (especially if it had been in a foster home before) so will be able to know if the rabbit has patience and is predictable.

You may be in luck! :) Was curious, so did a quick search for any rabbits on petfinder, and looks like there was a recent mass of confiscated palomino's at this rescue in Louisville, Ky.

http://www.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi?tmpl=&preview=&animal=Rabbit&preview=&zip=Shepherdsville%2C+KY

Maybe if she is serious about adding a rabbit into the family, to contact the rescue and set up a time to bring the kids to meet the rabbits and see if any one clicks withtheir family? Looks like some beautiful bunnies there!

the advice already given in this thread sounds very helpful... adopting an adult bunny from a rescue sounds like a very good way to go for a family with kids.

I think what you are doing by helping them to make the right decision is a very good thing to do. for their sake, and for the sake of the potential bunny. so they won't make the wrong choice and end up having to rehome the bunny.

Latest posts

Back