Are my kits being fed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskaYoung91

Reaction score
One of my rabbits unexpectedly gave birth three days ago. (We had the male neutered and explicitly asked if it was okay to put him back with the female. The vet said yes, no chance of pregnancy but obviously now I know that’s not correct).

I spent hours upon hours googling everything I needed to know and everything told me that it’s rare to see the mom feeding her babies but that most of the time she is and just keep an eye on the babies. The babies have been actively wiggling around so I wasn’t too stressed until tonight. I noticed one of them wasn’t moving much. Up until now I haven’t touched them even though the internet said it should be fine, I wanted to take every precaution. But I picked the little one up and they felt a little chilly. I noticed the belly’s weren’t bloated like everything I read said it should be. I could just be paranoid but I don’t know what to do. It’s impossible to get the mom to lay still let alone roll her on her back and check to see if she’s producing milk. I tried putting my hand under her belly when she was laying but she constantly moves. Im freaking out and I don’t know what to do does anyone have any advice?

Here’s the little one I was holding for reference.

Attachments

• AC93926D-7F96-4CCD-9A89-899CB499CE99.jpeg
    AC93926D-7F96-4CCD-9A89-899CB499CE99.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 1B67754D-5AB2-4C34-94F1-F38C93218A8E.jpeg
    1B67754D-5AB2-4C34-94F1-F38C93218A8E.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 16
What does the nest box look like? Can you post a picture? Have you separated the male? She will not feed if he is around. He should not be reintroduced until 6-8 weeks after the neuter he can still get her pregnant. Also, after she weans the babies which will be in 7-8 weeks she needs to be spayed. After 3 years old females have an 80% chance of getting uterine cancer. And if he was still with her after she had the babies there may be a chance that she is pregnant again. How many babies were there? He looks ok in that picture but how is he now? If it was a large litter they won't have really plump stomachs but he does look like he has been fed. You can give a tablespoon of old fashioned oats to help her produce more milk. As long as the stomachs aren't sunken in they should be ok. Are they inside or outside? In the nestbox should be straw and the fur that she pulled, if she didn't pull any you need to put a cheap blanket with no holes in it to keep them warm. If you don't have a nest box a short sided cardbord box will work. What breed are the mom and dad?

Latest posts

Back