Apollo Got Hurt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
Apollo hit his head last night. We have anusaince oppussum that just won't go away and we've treid verything.Well it scares Apollo terribly. Last night was awful. It cameback and Apollo was scared, startedthumpingandrunning around his cage.

He was so scared at one point he ran full tilt into the side ofhis cage, the wall side. All I heard was this horrible crash. Apollostood the and shook his head. He sat down the over to his side. I washorrified. I started shaking and crying thinking my baby is gonebecause he wasn't breathing.

Ireached into grab him and hold him tomeand he jumped up and looked disorientated. He has no cutsor bumps. There was no blood in his ears, nose or mouth. He seems fine.

He is acting totally fine and loving all the added attention.My question is: Is there anything I need to keep an out for?I have to go to baseball practice tonight from 6-8pm tonightand I will be bringing Apollo with me so I can keep a constant eye onhim.

Hisright eye and ears have suddenly startedtwitching. Not like seizure twitching but more like a tic. It lastsabout 3 seconds. He's alert while it happens and is responsive beforeduring and after.

This happened at about4am.I forgot toadd that.

I called the vet and they referred me to a rabbit savvy vet.Ihave given him some Nutrical. I figure it can't hurt to make sure hekeeps eating. I am still waiting for the call back. I can'tstop crying and I'm really worried sick.

Tina

Oh, sweetheart! *HUGS*

It sounds like you're doing all you can do. Please let us know what the bunny vet says.

hi tina

let us no if you find out anything our poor apollo wallo

i love him so much

i no when i ran lucy over they didnt no if she hadhither head on the wheelchair so they took her infor observation

luckily she was fine

the only thing that got me woried as tony was out at the time

she started shaking

the vet camr in and gave her an injection for shock and paiin

varna xxxx

I've been trying to find some info on theinternet. A couple sites recommended corticosteroids fortreatment. I'm suspecting there may be some inflammationinvolved that needs to be kept under control.

Pam

Hi Tina and Jeremy,

Just got off the phone with Kathy and explained to her what happened.Her first concern was to see if Apollo lost consciousness when he hit.When I said he hadn't and has been eating and acting normally, she saidthat it was probably nothing more than a mild concussion.

If you start seeing he's having seizures, he needs to see a vet rightaway. She's going to look up vets in your area that she trusts and willemail me later on tonight and I'll send you the names.

If you see that Apollo is in pain, she said you could give him somebaby aspirin or ibuprophen. She would recommend not doing anything atthis point from what you're describing unless you think he's in pain.Your instinct was right.

Best you can do at this point is keep an eye on him and watch for his condition for getting worse.

Keep us posted, and I'll be talking to you and emailing you later one.

Prayers and thoughts are coming strong from Tucker Town.

-Carolyn

I'll be keeping Apollo in my thoughts andprayers. It sounds like you are doing everything youcan. Please keep us updated.

Jenn

Poor ol' Wollo!

Dumb,nasty, uglyopossum! :X

Tina, I'm so glad you and Jeremy areright on top of things. You take good care of that boy and give himhugs and kisses sent all the way from the land of Oz! :)

RaspberrySwirl

Oh!! Poor Apollo! I would be a nervous wreck!

My biggest concern would be seizures. As long as he isn't having those,I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure he is eating and drinking andacting ok. Although, I like Pam would also worry about swelling in thebrain or spinal cord area. This would lead to motor difficultiesthough, and it seems that this isn't a problem.

I'll keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

Jen

Oh no!!! Poor Apollo.Tina, please keep us updated on his condition. I am surethough that Apollo will pull through with your excellentcare. I will keep him and your family in my prayers.

We just got back from practice. His cheekis a tiny bit swelled but it doesn't seem painful. He was cleaning hisface a little while ago and it doesn'tseem bepainful. He lets me touch and doesn't seem to bother him. Rabbitshidepain so I'm keeping a close eye on him.

The twitching hasn't gotten worse. It hasn't gotten better butit hasn't gotten worse.I'm scared to death and can't stopcrying but I am hopeful. He refused yogurt drops which is unusual but Ithink it may just be from me poking and prodding.

Thank you all for you thoughts and prayers. It helps knowing we're not alone.

Pam since there is a bit of swelling I will be keeping anexceptionall close eye on it. What type of corticoseroids are approvedfor use in rabbits?

Tina

I almost didn't want to answer this it was makingme so anxious...I am so relieved that things are looking Ok forApollo...I will be adding that "little" bun to my prayer list tonightand will be thinking of him throughout the evening, sending positivethoughts of course.

Like Raspberry said, UGLY, EVIL, MEAN, DIRTY, TRICKY Opposum...Ok maybe I added a bit to what she said.

With loving thoughts sent your way,

Adrienne

Tina, that's awful!! If it's any comfort, I once dropped an ice blockjust as Bunbun ran under my feet, and he got it square in the head. Hewas just fine later. I think they are pretty tough cookies. I so hopehe's better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us posted,

Rose

Golly, I am so upset at events that haveoccurred. Keep him close, and keep him quiet. Babytalk will let him know Mom is there for him. The eye movementthing is the thing bothering me the most.

Love , prayers and concern for Apollo definitely leave from here this evening.

Buck

The twitching may be a response to the swellingand some pain. It probably will decrease as the swellingdoes. If there was nerve damage it would probably be moreobvious. If he had a concussion or worse his eyes wouldprobably not react the same to light such as a persons would after ahead trauma. He may be fine in the morning but if not hedefinitely needs a vet.

Opossums will be looking for food or they would not be around. Any mice or food scraps around?

Ed

Thank you all again. Words can't expresshom much your support means to me. I got off the phone with Carolyn alittle bit ago. The general concensus is that Apollo has a mildconcussion. His eye and ear twitching is probably a result of that andhis cheek is a bit swelled.

Kathy and the vet agrees that I'm doing all that can be donefor him at this point. I tested his ability to track an object. I'vechecked to make sure his pupls are both the same size and react thesame. I've tested his hearing and made sure he could move his ear.

Buck, What a coincidence. I was thinking aboutwhatKathy had said. She said he should be ok in about fourdays in regards to the twitching. I am so worried. I don't think I willbe able to completely relax for a good long while.

I feel like it's my fault. Everybody told me how to deal thatnasty possum and I didn't do it and now Apollo's hurt. If anythinghappens it will be my fault. I keep thinking I can't possibly cry anymore and I do. I need to go dry my eyes and hug my baby.

Tina

Latest posts

Back