Anyone have experience treating an eye infection?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bville

Reaction score
Smokey saw the vet 10 days ago and was diagnosed with an eye infection. She gave me ciprofloxacin drops. I had a hard time getting them in his eye and wasted a bunch of drops so I had to buy a second bottle. I used up the second bottle and by then he had a full course of the drops, but his eye wasn't looking completely better. I asked the vet for a cream antibiotic because I seemed to remember that when my son was a baby he had an eye infection and I found the cream easier to administer than the drops. Well, not so with my rabbit with so many eyelashes!! I will keep trying the cream for the full course, but am wondering if anyone else has some experience with this and could offer some advice on either getting the cream in the eye or using some other treatment. Thanks in advance! :privateeyes

Maybe carefully applying it with a q tip would work better. With ointments, you really have to get it right on the inside edge of the eyelid to make sure it gets in there. If you place a finger below the lower eyelid and gently pull down a bit, it should expose the eyelid so you can get it on there properly, so it doesn't just end up on the eyelashes and fur. It's a bit hard to do though, with a wiggly bun. Works better if you have some help.

If none of the medications end up treating his eye infection colloidal silver has worked amazing for me in the past! 1-2 drops in the eye twice a day is all you need & should see an improvement by the next day, just a thought.

Latest posts

Back