Anyone have any certain breeds of rabbits they won't own

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKGS

Reaction score
I know there are many people in the dog world whom have certain breeds they will never own by choice. For example I am not a beagle person.

There are certain breeds of rabbits that I will most likely never own. Angoras and Jersey Woolys are two breeds I will most likely never own. This isn't because of temperment or anything but their wool and upkeep. I think they are beautiful but their coat care isn't for me.

I also don't think I will ever own a Petite, Tan, Hare, or any of the standoffish breeds of rabbits. Personlly I'm not real sure about Rex rabbits either. I have known a few now and they have all been soooo 'wired'. That's the only way I can explain the ones I have been around. Lol. Very, very cute but not my breed of choice.

Are there any breeds that others will never own? Please no slamming any breeds. I am just curious about this. I have a friend who doesn't like lops, which to me is weird. She seems to think they are all very tempermental. I haven't had this experience... Quite the opposite actually.

I am not sure if there is a breed I would NEVER have. If I fell in love with an individual rabbit, I would probably get it of I could. It's not that I would never own own, just that they are not my first pick.
Lops don't do much for me. They are cute, but are also fairly common. I don't really have anything against them, they are just not the breeds for me.
I don't like the fur of rexes. It gets everywhere and gets in my clothes (compared to angora which on only on top). The fur also gets up my nose and causes me to sneeze a lot.
Really small breeds kinda scare me. They are harder to do some things with and can be more aggressive.

I am not real fond of Netherland Dwarfs either. They are adorable but everyone that I have met has a heck of an attitude. Lol.
I do still have a major soft spot for Lionheads.

Saudade wrote:
Polish.
They're vicious.
Had one try and take my arm off when it was pregnant.
Don't paint them all with the same brush. ;)
I know a Polish rabbit at the rescue I volunteer with that is such a sweetie.

For me it would be large breed rabbit's like Flemish (just as one example). I wouldn't feel comfortable having one since I currently live in a Condo. I just feel there is not enough room to house a bun that size comfortably.

That is a good point Erika. It would definetly be hard to house a large rabbit in a small home. I can definetly understand and appreciate that logic.

A lady who lives near my ex husband has a Checkered Giant and keeps it in a 2 foot by 3 foot cage. He is full grown and can't even turn around. I keep asking when she's gonna rehome him with me although I won't keep him forever but would love to take him and find him an appropiate home where he can have room to roam.

CKGS wrote:
I am not real fond of Netherland Dwarfs either. They are adorable but everyone that I have met has a heck of an attitude. Lol.
I do still have a major soft spot for Lionheads.
IDK....LOl. My Rascal is a sweetie! :)

It could be or maybe he just has nice nethie in him. Lol. I know one thing- he sure is adorable! I think, no matter how many buns you have, he will always be my fav. Lol- Don't let the rest of your crew know this.

Hmm...if I hadn't recently seen a Belgian Hare in person...and a Britannia Petite in a picture...then I would probably say those two. lol.

But, I still probably wouldn't ever own a Britannia Petite. They look so..weird. I would probably own a Belgian Hare if it weren't for the fact that they're (supposedly) considered a lot more "delicate" than other rabbits.

I will never own a Blanc De Hotot....They just don't seem appealing to me.

As long as I live where it gets super warm, or have no A/C, I probably won't ever own any wooled breed. (Although we did own an AFL for like twenty minutes this year! Lol. He was free at a show and we decided we didn't want him in the end so gave him back. It was my mom's idea to get him. ;) ) As much as I love AFL's and Satin Angoras I don't know if I could keep up with their coats. If I really had the time and effort to, then I would love to own one.

Other than that, I won't own a Tan. I just don't like their color. I know that's harsh, but I just think it's a weird pattern.

Other than that, I think I would love to own any other type of rabbit! ;) Why not make a thread about which bunny breeds you'd love to own? (Even though I'm sure we've had threads like that before ;))

Emily

Happi Bun wrote:
Saudade wrote:
Polish.
They're vicious.

For me it would be large breed rabbit's like Flemish (just as one example). I wouldn't feel comfortable having one since I currently live in a Condo. I just feel there is not enough room to house a bun that size comfortably.
Hey let me around one that isn't pregnant and I'll give it a try, but I'm pretty cautious around them. Only thing I know is that when they're pregnant you avoid them like the plague.

Saudade wrote:
Happi Bun wrote:
Saudade wrote:
Polish.
They're vicious.

Hey let me around one that isn't pregnant and I'll give it a try, but I'm pretty cautious around them. Only thing I know is that when they're pregnant you avoid them like the plague.
I think a lot of does are nasty when they're pregnant. ;) I have a Polish (never been bred) and she's kinda nasty. But when my other-breed does are pregnant they are nasty as well. ;)
So it's not just Polish when they're pregnant; it's other breeds as well. ;)

Emily

I love attitude. Mini-rexes are so opinionated, they're a hoot. And they're so smart, they're scary. And I love my two dwarves, they're my most interactive rabbits and ultimately the friendliest (albeit a little bi-polar, but that keeps it interesting). They're little divas and you really must behave or you'll catch heck from them.

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't want a Flemish. I was very close to a couple on this board (virtually) and they both died young so I think I'd be a nervous wreck around one of my own.

In terms of picking out a new rabbit (as if I've ever had a choice), mini-lops don't do much for me, I find them boring, I don't know why. My only mini-lop is a nice enough rabbit, very entertaining. Maybe I've just been overexposed. A lot of them around.

sas :ponder:

IF I had the space available at the time I would probably take whoever needed me. I'm not fussed by breeds when the bun is needy.

However, by preference, nothing long furred and not a rex (for the sore hock issues), but if they came in as special and needed a home I'd take them, space willing.

Pipp wrote:
I love attitude. Mini-rexes are so opinionated, they're a hoot. And they're so smart, they're scary. And I love my two dwarves, they're my most interactive rabbits and ultimately the friendliest (albeit a little bi-polar, but that keeps it interesting). They're little divas and you really must behave or you'll catch heck from them.

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't want a Flemish. I was very close to a couple on this board (virtually) and they both died young so I think I'd be a nervous wreck around one of my own.

In terms of picking out a new rabbit (as if I've ever had a choice), mini-lops don't do much for me, I find them boring, I don't know why. My only mini-lop is a nice enough rabbit, very entertaining. Maybe I've just been overexposed. A lot of them around.

sas :ponder:
So true with the MR's! Got to Love Em! LOL, but that also makes me sad, Sas. Angel butts.:( But yeah.:)

I think the only breed I'm not keen on in terms of looks is lionheads. (I do, however, LOVE the lionhead crosses where they look like they've got 'hair'..) Other than that, the other long haired breeds I probably wouldn't choose to own because of the coat care...

But as Flashy said, if one of any of the above were to come my way, and needed help, I probably couldn't refuse. At least not based on what breed they are.

Personally I'm a big lop lover, despite how common they are. I just think they have some of the sweetest faces... :)

Latest posts

Back