Anyone grow wheat grass for personal or pet consumption?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not unless you count the little potted containers of wheat grass seeds you buy and grow...those I am amazing at growing! lol ;)

Danielle:)

Runestonez wrote:
Not unless you count the little potted containers of wheat grass seeds you buy and grow...those I am amazing at growing! lol ;)

LOL!

A friend of minegrows her own grass for her guinea pigs and she gave me a nice container of grass when we met for lunch a while back. The critters loved it (infact, I need to get more pots) I bought some seeds to grow my own but have yet to try it :p

I usually buy the containers at the farmers market here...I just soak it, put the seeds inand keep it damp...I haven't had any issues yet!

Here is a tip...I don't know what size container you will use...I just use the little 3" or 4" pots...I went to the dollarstore and found some little metal pots with handles...I ziptied them to the bars of our kids cage and dropped the finished pot of wheat grass in it! The kids geta fresh pot of yumms to snack on and they can't toss it around the cage!:D

Runestonez wrote:
Here is a tip...I don't know what size container you will use...I just use the little 3" or 4" pots...I went to the dollarstore and found some little metal pots with handles...I ziptied them to the bars of our kids cage and dropped the finished pot of wheat grass in it! The kids geta fresh pot of yumms to snack on and they can't toss it around the cage!:D

That's a great idea! :) How come I never think of stuff like that? :p

i have been growing wheat grass for 3 years now, it is really easy. i actually breifly thought about replacing my lawn with it at one point. lol. i use it in salads mostly however, i actually cut it up and put it in sun tea as well or in the emulsifier.

i have found that 16in diameter pots that are 4in deep work really well. i harvest once or twice a week, in season. since i now have the bunnies i have thought about feeding them small amounts too.

good thread!

I do--wheat and rye grass. You don't need dirt, and it grows like crazy after the first sprout. It's not always worth saving the plants after the grass grows to 4in the first time (and then you give it to the bunnies).

I buy the seeds at Whole Foods in bulk. They call them wheat or rye berries sometimes.

You can just put the seeds themselves in a container that doesn't drain. I sometimes use dirt. Today I was planning on starting a bunch without any dirt. We'll see how they turn out!

tonyshuman wrote:
...and it grows like crazy after the first sprout. It's not always worth saving the plants after the grass grows to 4in the first time (and then you give it to the bunnies).
What do you mean by "it's not always worth savingthe plants after the gras grows to 4in the first time"? It's great that this thread popped up because I literally just bought a 4-inch pot of wheat grass from the farmer's market yesterday. It was 2" yesterday and today it's already 4" :shock:

Do you mean when the grass has grown to 4"tallit's time to cut the grass and serve them to the buns?

Once I cut the grass, I imagine it will grow back, right? If so, how quickly? Don't laugh - I really don't know the first thing about grass. City girls don't know a thing aboutleafy greenstuff :p

I mean that it seems that the grass never grows back as tall or as quickly after the first time. It does grow back, but not as well. That is just in my experience too. The grass grows really fast right after it's sprouted, but it seems that the energy stores in the seed get depleted pretty soon after they get to 4-6".

tonyshuman wrote:
Erm... that didn't go as well as I remember! Going to have to start over with dirt this time. Oops!
LOL!

You know, I went to Whole Foods this weekend and they said they don't sell wheat grass seeds. Neither does Home Depot. Weird! Maybe I'll buy some online.

How often do you water your grass, btw? When I bought the pot of grass, they told me to keep the soil damp. But it's pretty densely planted. I can't stick my finger in to feel the soil without bending some grass.

Clearly I don't have a green thumb :?

That's weird... They have a huge bulk section in my Whole Foods and they sell them there as "wheat berries" I think?

I just water it to keep it wet, not so much that you get mold growing (which is what happened with my seeds this time--turned into some sort of rye/wheat mash like you'd make beer out of or something!). It shouldn't be dripping. You could mist it daily to the point where it looks wet.

here's a method I know a lot of people use successfully.
Step 1. soak wheat grass seeds over night, amount depends on size of tray using.

Step 2. line the tray or container with something like handy towels, not tissues (too soft). wet the paper quite well.

Step 3. once seeds have soaked, spread evenly in the tray over the paper, then cover to keep the light out. Important for germination.

Step 4. each day for the next 3 days, take off the lid and sprinkle or spray the seeds with water.

Step 5. after the 4th day remove the lid, and water again and leave lid off, put somewhere like a window sill to get sunlight. Keep watering everyday.
Should not be swimming in water and not to dry.

Step 6. should be ready by day 10-11 to add rats/rabbits/guinea pigs.
You could put the whole tray in your cage or wherever. but you can also lift the paper out and the seeds are all attached to it.

It is important, not to over water the seeds or they can rot and go mouldy, if this happens don't feed them to the rats/rabbits/guinea pigs. Just a little water everyday while they are growing and in a sunny spot after germination, they will do great.

I bought mine already grown. But I havent gave my buns any of it. It started to die. I bought it in winter but now its warm out. It started to grow again.

Latest posts

Back