Anyone grow wheat grass for personal or pet consumption?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I over watering my wheat grass?? I've had 1 store bought and grown pot of grass gone moldy after cutting off full grown grass twice. Then I grew my own from seeds and 2 of my pots have already gotten moldy after the 2nd cut. It seems like they never make it to the 3rd round of "harvest" :(

If you grow the seeds in water and no soil the way the organic stores do, the roots will tend to mold. I grow mine in a flower pot for my cats but for the rest of my critters, I have a 5'X5' plot planted in my backyard that is wheatgrass and I just go cut it as needed. I've also got grazing pens set up around my yard for my various critters and I just toss the seed out there about 2 weeks before I begin grazing time and it grows like crazy.

A good place for seeds is

https://www.superseeds.com/products.php?cat=139

Also I recommend RH Shumway's Pasture Mix
http://www.rhshumway.com/dp.asp?P={EC202CE8-E5F2-4CB6-BF47-5F1AD6AFB3EC}

It's a really good mix that works for all my critters from tortoises to bunnies to chinchillas and chukars. :)

Maybe they're just not meant to last. Like Claire said, it's not always worth saving them. Try just letting the buns mow them down after the second harvest, and just start new ones.

True... little bit of seed goes a long way.

I was filling my little 5" pots 3/4 of the way to the top with soil before. I suppose if I don't expect them to last I don't have to put so much soil. I have a pound of seed and I've grown 4 pots -- haven't made a dent in my packet of seeds yet! The bun buns love it but I'm not loving the flies and stuff getting attracted to my yummy grass :(

I am now thinking I have to try this.

I will be at Whole Foods tomorrow for grocery shopping, if I remember, I will look for wheat grass seeds.

Latest posts

Back