Anyone ever see this at Kindling?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tiny, my black flemish giant has a real fondness for lionhead does as close friends. He's been neutered so he has no desire for anything else and when the does will try to mount him (particularly on the head) he runs away with an embarassed look on his face.

But I find that flemish and lionheads *CAN* get along....at least sometimes. But I wouldn't let him near my bucks and if there is a buck in cage - Tiny will go and pee right near the cage to remind the buck that Tiny is the boss...

Peg

BlueGiants wrote:
I can picture a Flemish playing with a Polish, a Holland and Lionhead. :groupparty:

I have a friend with a Flemish that is bonded with a Mini Rex girl, and that big boy is totally submissive to her! He lets her eat first, he lets her climb all over him, she gets first choice on the hay... such a mush! (His father was totally embarrassed to hear this! He is the "super" buck,Superman! LOL!...).

Tiny is still "the man" and he knows who belongs in his territory and who doesn't! :nope:

BlueGiants wrote:
I have a friend with a Flemish that is bonded with a Mini Rex girl, and that big boy is totally submissive to her! He lets her eat first, he lets her climb all over him, she gets first choice on the hay... such a mush! (His father was totally embarrassed to hear this! He is the "super" buck,Superman! LOL!...).

Tiny is still "the man" and he knows who belongs in his territory and who doesn't! :nope:

That's ADORABLE! I love it!

BTW - you should name that little one SCOOTER since he just took his time and scooted along being born :)

jupiterannette wrote:
how are the babies... pics? ;)

momma still doin good?

Babies are just fine...:wave2it's been so warm, they won't stay in the fur-lined nest... insist onlaying outside on the hay...She feeds them and keeps pushing them back in....I'll try to get some new photo's tonight.

Momma (Gabrielle) is doing great, but she's got some attitude now! My sweet gentle doe that gives kisses is defending those babies like a pit bull! (But she can be bribed with parsley! LOL! Silly TWIT!)

BlueGiants,

How is this litter doing? Is the littlest guy still doing well?

I would LOVE to see new pictures! (hint hint) :biggrin2:

So sorry! LOL! I'll try to get photo's of them soon. I've been working a lot of Overtime the lastcouple days....

When I went out to check them this morning, the littlest bugger (ummmm.... "Lucky"?) was laying outside the box. He must have latched on real tight to Gabrielle (mom) and when she hopped out, he went with her! But he had a full belly! Good thing we've have warmer weather than usual! But I popped him back in the box. Made Gabrielle happy... she was upset he was out. (A couple of the whites, born the same day, have been doing the same thing... hungry little things!) I have a brick step that they can use to climb back in, but their eye's are not open yet, so they can't see it!

I have to clean out the nest boxes tonight,and I'll put less hay "stuffing" in them. They'll be deeper and that should help keep them in there, at least until their eyes open and they can see where they're going!

We're supposed to be 20 degrees colder by tomorrow, so I'd be happier if they stayed in the boxes another week. :happybunny:

The weather you are going to get from this way is GORGEOUS! Today is a perfect day; sunny, 72, and a slight breeze!

Tomorrow it won't get much over 60° here and Thursday it will only be in the 50's. I don't know if this is the weather you are getting. I know a lot of people will be on their way to the ARBA convention - so if you are getting this weather - but sure the bunnies are prepared to adjust!

Bo and Clover can sense the change eventhough our house is pretty constant. He gets all snuggly with me and a blankie if he's out. LOL! He's like a little old man sometimes.

The litter at 9 days old (except Lucky, small black at front right)... They are all opening their eyes (except Lucky!)

Lucky (by himself...) I know he looks small, but he's 3 days younger than the rest of his siblings... and at this age 3 days is a LOT!

Largest Black in the litter, eyes opening....

This may be kind of a silly question, but I'm curious :p

How do the kit sizes of flemish giants compare to other breeds? Are they bigger when they are first born or do they grow faster?

The Flemish are born biggeras compared tomy Mini Rex. I'd say almost twice as big. The Flemish body is longer. But yes, the Flemishgrowth rate is much faster. I've never measured it, but from what I can see, I'd say the Flemish does produce more milk than the smaller breeds.

At 8 weeks, when I wean them, the Felmishare, on average, 6 lbs. (+/- a half lb.). At 8 weeks, my average Mini Rex isless than2 lbs.

At 16 weeks (4 months), the Flemish are around 9-11 lbs. My Mini Rex are about 3 1/2 lbs.

I have Flemish litters due in 12 days and Mini Rex litters due in 21 days. I'm going to try and take photo's of the newborns, maybe next to a ruler (?) and I'll weight them at birth... and I'll do the same at one week of age... so you can get a comparison. Watch for a future thread in 22 days! LOL!

Just wanted to update on the litter. They are now 3 weeks old. The two blues are Does and of the 3 blacks, 1 is a doe and 2 are bucks (as of now!) .

The smallest one (Last Born) is a buck and we are calling him Lil Bit. He weighs 6 oz as of today. His sisters and brothers all weigh between 9.5 and 11 oz. But he is eatng good, just started them on a bit of Oatmeal, and he had no trouble eating that!

Here is a photo from this morning showing the size difference between him and his sister:

3wks-5.jpg

I tried to take a photo of all of them together, but they are a lively bunch! Couldn't get them all together and still enough for a photo to come out! LOL! My feeble attempt at a picture: (LOL! I'll try again later with help!)

3wks-6.jpg

How CUTE!

lol, group pictures rae hilarious to try and take :D

Hey bluegiants, just to let you know, what happened with your bunny isn't terribly uncommon. What happens is, instead of implanting right away, for some reason sometimes a zygote won't implant for a few days after the others. Actually, it'll sometimes go to the other uterine horn, and when the other kittens are born the horn containing the less-developed fetuses will sort of "block off" the kit from being born until it's ready.

I've seen it happen up to a week and a half later. Don't ask me how that one happened, because it normally isn't any longer than five or so days, but it did. She actually had three kits in the second litter. Poor thing, the breeder got another doe to surrogate.

(I don't read the Rabbitry most of the time, sorry it took me so long to get to in here lol)

Back