Anyone ever see this at Kindling?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueGiants

Reaction score
I had a litter of Flemish born on Sept 28th. First time mom, She went to 32 days (not unusual for my Giants), and delivered 6, 2 DOA, 4 alive. Made a great nest, had them in the box. Did not clean the dead ones.

This morning, she pulled fur in one corner of the cage (NOT her nestbox!) and delivered another one... alive, plump and fine...3 days later? We've had them born 8-12 hours apart (yeah, they always make a second nest). I do not "re-breed" more than 3 hours after the initial breeding.

Any ideas what could have caused this? Buck is proven many times over, never had a problem. She doesn't appear to have any infection, no discharge, no smell (Oh yeah, she liked when I checked for that! NOT!). She's nursing fine. Even the new one (who's just a tiny bit smaller than his siblings...).

Just thought I'd put it out there in case someone else has seen this. Thanks!

I haven't seen it 3 days apart, though i have one that typically has 1 one day and 1 24 hours later usually every second litter.

Maybe it was to cosy in there lol

I've read about it before with other breeders and stuff...but never had it happen with the births that far apart.

Peg

I'm still shaking my head over the fact that the little bugger is alive! Maybe I should call him "Lucky"? :ponder:

He wasin a corner of the open cage, no siblings to keep him warm, I have no idea how he made it, except that I found him in time. But that is a long time between the first born and the last.... :waiting:

Maybe she had him hidden under a leg? LOL!

Sorry I'm not any help but I do think it's fascinating!

Now do you have a digital camera so we can see the difference in size? LOL!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Maybe she had him hidden under a leg? LOL!
At first I thought he'd fallen out of the nest box...but I'm sure he didn't, she did make a new nest, pulling fresh fur in the corner, there was fresh blood in the corner and his umbilical was still fresh cut. He was definately "new" born. I'll try to get a photo tonight.

[align=center] [/align]This isa photo of the litter. (You can click on it to see a bigger version) The little black born this morning is on the right side end. He should catch up to his siblings in a few days. The doe seems to be nursing them well.

Oooooooh, you have bluuuues!! I love blues, and never could find any around here!Do you ship to Illinois?? Just kidding, I don't think I could afford it anyway, but oh I love blues!

Oh, yeah, and I have never seen any of my does have babies three days apart either. :biggrin2:

EEE! Baby flemmies! :inlove:

Have you palpated her to make sure there aren't any others? I'd want to make sure she has them all out now.

LOL! I palpated her after she had the first 6 (especially cause two of them were dead!). I wanted to make sure she was done and they were all out, and didn't feel THIS one! I have NO idea where he was hiding. Sigh... guess I have to re-learn to palpate better...

With all that room in there he must have been hiding LOL.

Two days is the most that I have had does space out kindling.

Roger

Oh aren't they just gorgeous!!!! That little one is a cutie.

I was telling my mom about this and she said to be real sure to watch her vent area and how she's acting. Regardless of why - she could have some sort of infection or block that caused this or could be caused by this. Weird things happen for weird reasons sometimes.

Congrats on the great litter(s) lol!

BlueGiants wrote:
I have Blues, Blacks and White Flemish. I simply love them!

I lost my girl back in May. I plan on eventually getting another. Well we do my husband also wants another.

We were looking into a Fawn colored one. I have a black polish, a Blue holland lop, and a blue lop/lionhead mix. I do have a white bun but he has alittle black. So a white sounds nice.

It won't be for awhile though. The only way we will consider it while still living here is if all of our bonded.

I'm sorry for the loss of your girl... they are all so very special. I can picture a Flemish playing with a Polish, a Holland and Lionhead. :groupparty:

The little black is still the smallest in the litter, but he's holding his own. I'm trying to make sure he getsextra time nursing. His mom seems fine.

I had 2 other litters born the same day, a white litterof 7 and a small litter of 2 blacks. The small litter didn't make it.:sad: sigh... but the others are doing very well.

I spoke with my vet over this. She felt that because 2 were borndead, (and they were very large) this one might have been behind them (higher in the horn). The stress and energy used to expell the dead babies may have caused the uterine horns to "rest"and they just got around to expelling the last baby. She felt I was real lucky the baby was still alive. Her experience shows that anything born after48 hours,usually don't make it. :bunnyheart

Thanks. I never was fond of larger animals but she had something that was just so unique. I miss having my big bunny. She never actually played with the others. She was abused and we had to work through alot of problems.

I am so sorry about the babies lost. I am very happy about those that are pulling through.

Peg (TinysMom) did a blog about her lionheads from birth to adulthood. You should with the flemish. I think it would be awesome!

Latest posts

Back