Anybody else an introvert?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkiddle

Reaction score
So I just found out that I'm an introvert! I was really confused for a while as to why I was always so tired in social situations. I drained really really fast. I do have thyroid issues that aid the fatigue, but now that I'm on medication I've still been really tired.

It's always been hard for me to spend the energy hanging out with friends. It's difficult because I am a really social person. I only look forward to meeting with people if I'm at top energy, which isn't very often. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else had this problem? I know it can be really lonely, and the internet is an introvert's best friend. =)

Also, I've learned that the stigmas from the word "introvert" are so wrong! We are not necessarily loners, although that can be a byproduct from society's expectations. Our batteries simply drain from people, and we need to recharge by being alone. An extrovert recharges by being with people. Although disorders can stem from being alone and becoming depressed because of the stigmas, that is the only difference between introverts and extroverts. Our brains our literally wired differently!

I'm not sure that I'm this exactly but I will say that I'm different from my husband and friends in the sense that I LOVE being alone!!

I enjoy going to movies alone, or out to eat or for a drive or shopping. I'm just not threatened or uneasy being by myself. Sometimes it is what I "need".

But on the flip side I enjoy people too! Very much....when I'm in the mood :) but I do need alone time to recharge.

My husband on the other hand is completely social and would choose to be around people all the time if he could. We balance each other out well :)

I am most definitely an introvert! My mom was a stay-at-home-mom and she is very much an extrovert, so if not for her, I would probably be more shy than I am.

I like being around people, but on my terms. I am not very spontaneous. Not sure if that has to do with being an introvert or maybe that's just my personality.

I lucked out with my husband, though, because we are very similar. In social settings we are outgoing, but when we get home, we enjoy sitting beside each other and reading or watching tv without saying anything. I like to think we communicate pretty well, even though sometimes it's non-verbal.

Sometimes I think people see us as rude or reclusive, just because we have to be alone to recharge. I love people and I think i'm pretty friendly :) but they can be exhausting!

I'm an introvert but do get along well with others if needed. I am most happy living by myself with my fluffy housemates but do mingle, especially now that I'm studying. I'll talk to people but I prefer my smaller group of friends, most are online so I haven't actually met them. I've always preferred my own company, especially since most people in this area prefer going out and getting drunk to a sober night

I'm an introvert, but obviously from the number of my posts, also love to be social. It's hard for me to expend the energy to be social live, so I agree the internet really helps.

Have you read "The introvert advantage?" It is such a great book that helped me realise that being an introvert isn't wrong or bad, just different. :)

Wow it is so great to see how many of us are actually out there. I really thought there was something seriously wrong with me medically because I would get so tired around people. Plus, I didn't want to be around my friends 24/7, which they didn't get. I'm 19 (turning 20 the first) and I'm so glad I found this now instead of 20 years from now.

I will look into that book, I'm always looking for ways to help me with this. Thanks!

I think this may be me. I prefer to stay in most of the time, which I usually do. I have a 15 month old son to spend my days with, not to mention all my animals and they're all the company I need. I do have 2 friends, but when I'm with them its taxing. But then there are some days where I can walk all the way through an IKEA on a Saturday and be totally fine.
Its a strange thing. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this, I thought I was just completely anti-social! Hahaha.

I love being alone and would call myself an introvert...although I'm not crazy about labels. I can be a happy hermit but I love people who are close to me. Work forced me to learn to function in large groups but it's not my comfort zone;) It's not that I don't like people, I really enjoy and have compassion for many of them. It's just that it's challenging for me to relate in groups. More comfortable one on one or two or three;) I've also come to think of it as a strength and another good book on the subject is "The Loner's Manifesto".

I was voted "most shy" in my senior year of high school although I think that was a slight exaggeration:)

@Katherine, that's the wonderful thing about it. It's not a social label, it is a personality type! Our brains literally work differently from extroverts, who pretty much rule society. So we see our "odd" characteristics as bad, and their natural characteristics are normal to society.
I'm just really happy to finally know what the deal is with me. Like most of you here, I am a very social person; I just can't find the energy to expend on my friends. I've lost a lot of friends because of this, and I hope that I can learn from it in the future. I mean, obviously you all have done well for yourselves with families, jobs and such. I hope to find that balance soon; right now it's taxing to work three days a week for me, and I'll have all classes on campus in a couple of weeks. This is new for me; I've always had mostly online classes with the occasional required on-campus class. I haven't had a full schedule since high school! We'll see how it goes...=)

I love being by myself. I hate the thought of going out, but once I am out I usually end up enjoying myself. I even work at home, so I don't even have the social environment of work.

I'm an introvert!!! The internet is my friend :)

I dont like being alone, but there are only a handful of people that I like to keep me company. My husband is my booty partner and I would be so lost without him! I'm not one to eat alone or go out alone because then I just get paranoid. I dont like large crowds either.. so all the fun in the sun Miami events, count me out LOL.

I dont like attention AT ALL. I wear plaine, simple, neutral colors to try and blend in with the crowd as much as possible. My beauty is my curse. I hate getting whistled at, when guys try to talk to me or when I get stared at (I'm sounding conceited and i'm not trying to). It really freaks me out. I ride with the windows up in my car at all times. I just wont go anywhere without my husband... I choke up when someone trys to have a conversation with me and I look for a rock to hide under.

I dont know what happened to me though. I was quite the social butterfly in highschool. I think i've realized there are more jerk people than nice ones.. so I stay to myself.

I'm an introvert, but I also have an anxiety disorder which makes social situations ridiculously hard. I've managed to start studying this year, but I come home at the end of each day absolutely exhausted, and I usually take the whole weekend to recover. It's hard, because while I've kinda grown used to the fact I'll always be a loner...I don't want to be. I want to be able to just go play pool after classes, and have social fun. Not sure I'd survive without the internet, and definitely not without my pets. :D

Anaira wrote:
I'm an introvert, but I also have an anxiety disorder which makes social situations ridiculously hard. I've managed to start studying this year, but I come home at the end of each day absolutely exhausted, and I usually take the whole weekend to recover. It's hard, because while I've kinda grown used to the fact I'll always be a loner...I don't want to be. I want to be able to just go play pool after classes, and have social fun. Not sure I'd survive without the internet, and definitely not without my pets. :D
Yeah I get that. Minus the disorder and I still have problems keeping friends. I'm going bowling next Friday--that's literally the only thing I've done all summer with a friend. Mostly, I stay in my apartment and do school work, clean, play with my bunnies and go online. I hate that, I wish I could be more social too!

Yeah, it's hard. It kicks off depression as well, so things keep going round in circles, getting worse and worse. In some ways, I'm in the best place I've ever been, anxiety-wise, and in others, nearly rock bottom, depression-wise. Because I can't just say it's a personality type, it is actually a disorder as well.

I too am an introvert. More specifically I'm an ISTJ. During my orientation we had a session where each of the opposing personality types would go to opposite sides of the room and we'd take turns talking about what we love and hate about the opposing personality. It was a real eye opener in some situations.

Hmm. I'm not sure, maybe. I can be so out going... online. In person I keep quiet a lot. My bf and I were hanging with his friends and I sat in a chair cuddled in his hoodie staring at everyone having fun. :x I have OCD, an anxiety disorder, and chronic depression (but I am finally getting better on the depression part!)

Latest posts

Back