Anybody else an introvert?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brandy--that makes so much sense to me...that we relate to them intensely because we are pick up and are so tuned to subtle changes and signals. When I first got Scout, I didn't know anything about rabbits. I was keeping her for a family that was on vacation and she had been living in a small cage. She started out in the cage but didn't stay there long after she was with me. As I watched her in the cage, I felt like I could "hear" her talking to me. I said that to people. I still feel that way about rabbits and maybe it's because they are constantly sending minute signals with their bodies, their ears, their tails, their eyes...maybe sensitivesjust get all that...

I think we're onto something:)

(And speaking of sensitive, Harvey and Halo were freaking out while I was writing this...thumping and running. I realized I'm wearing a necklace they haven't seen before and it makes a little tinkling noise. I took it off and they're fine.)

Ashtin- I don't personally have a dog, but I loved playing with my sister's dog when we lived closer. I didn't want you to think I am a dog hater, because I'm not. They just tend to make me tired with all their energy. :)

Katherine- I totally get the hearing them. I have tried talking to people about it and they think I'm nuts or trying to pretend to be psychic. That's not it. You are totally right about the small signals they constantly send. They may not make much noise, but they speak volumes if you can read it.

When I first got Becky I had her in a cage. It took less than 24 hours for me to know that wasn't gonna stick, it was too cramped, yet it was still huge compared to where she came from. My guess is that people who use small cages or hutches don't have the same deep connection with their furbabies, to be able to feel what they are feeling. It is a gift, and sometimes a curse. Unfortunately that is why I didn't go to vet school. I would cry along with the families if I had to put a pet to sleep, it was too much. I never did one that I didn't believe 100% was a mercy, but it still hurt.

Brandy--it is such a relief when someone understands this! And, when you're really, really bonded with a bunny, they are just as tuned in to you. It sometimes seemed as if Scout were reacting to my thoughts:) I would be sitting on the couch and think "I'm going to get up and pet Scout." Before I made a move, Scout would be at my feet waiting for pets. There were many more examples. I think, maybe, she got to the place that she could read the smallest changes in my expressions and body language...even ones I wasn't aware of.

I can't imagine how hard it would be to put an animal down and I completely understand why it would be impossible to think of doing that all your life as a vet. It's wonderful that you've found so many other ways to serve animals and the people who love them.

Harvey and Halo are so sweet. I'm glad you figured out what was upsetting them. I can't wear my sunglasses into the house because it scares Bunnicula and Panda, who's enclosure is close to the back door. They think a monster with huge eyes is coming to eat them.

When I am having a bad pain day the rabbits just know. They give me extra snuggles and kisses, like they are trying to make me feel better. They are the best little nurses ever.

I'm glad I ended up not severing that close bond (what the vets I worked with advised me to do). I have found outlets where it is an advantage.

When I got Indiana Bunns I was told he was aggressive because he was blind and deaf. If you put your hand in front of him to give a treat he would box. I quickly found it wasn't aggression at all, but him trying to find the food that he could smell. We worked it out so I would lightly tap his forehead and then put the food against his lips. He never boxed again. He knew that I would make it easy for him to eat. He was also half starved, so it took him a little to trust food would not be taken away. He was such a sweet soul. I realised that it is a year ago this week that he passed over the rainbow bridge. I keep thinking about him the past few days.

Here he is after a bath- he would lay in his own waste as a comfort so he had to get a full bath once a week. I put him in jammies to stay warm until he was fully dry. He would fall asleep in my arms as Becky, his bunwife, snuggled him. In the first picture you can see the side that had the eye removed.

004-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

003-2.jpg

Omg, your bunny in pyjamas pictures really brightened up my morning. =P Thank you for that.

Aww, Brandy, Indiana Bunns in his pjs is the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Aww. And you and Becky nursing him together--amazing. Bunnies definitely have a nurturing, healing ability.

You must miss Indiana very much. He was lucky to have you and Becky. Funny how some days they are just more on your mind. The one year anniversary is a hard one. No wonder you're thinking of him. I'm so glad you posted these pictures. Golden memories of a dear soul.

They do tune in to your emotions and feelings and, I think, their energy is healing. Scout absolutely knew if I wasn't feeling well. And, if I had a cut or scratch or bug bite, she was determined to get to it. She would do this funny, gentle, little nipping/chewing thing that felt really good (?).

One time I had a splinter that I couldn't get out of my foot. Before I could stop her, she did that chewing thing and got the splinter out!?!

When she found a bruise she would put her face near it and make this little whimper sound for as long as I would let her. Maybe my imagination? I have a friend who is a doctor who heard her make the sound. He said some animals use sound vibrations to heal each other and he thought that's what it was. !?!

I've read that, in Victorian times, doctors prescribed "keeping rabbits" as a cure for depression. It makes perfect sense to me:)

Halo and Harvey and I send love and hugs on the anniversary of Indiana's passing. We wish him free binkies and lush munchies and snuggles for ever and ever!

:brownbunny:heartbeat::brownbunny

Latest posts

Back