Any other ways to cut nails?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownies

Reaction score
Hey. So I've heard you have to cut down bunny nails with nail clippers..... But I'm afraid I'll cut the quick..... Can I cut them with a rock or something? Is there any other way?

Thanks to whoever take the time to answer :)

A rock?? Isn't that a much bigger risk of accidentally crushing the quick?

You can use normal human nail clippers or buy special guillotine-style pet clippers. Either way you should be able to see the quick (red vein in the nail) and neatly cut far enough away from it. If your bun has dark nails that's much harder though. To be safe don't cut too far behind the fur line, or just cut it tiny bit by bit every week.

If you really don't feel confident enough to do it yourself, you can always take your bunny to a vet, breeder or rescue to do it for you for a small fee.

A rock?? Isn't that a much bigger risk of accidentally crushing the quick?

You can use normal human nail clippers or buy special guillotine-style pet clippers. Either way you should be able to see the quick (red vein in the nail) and neatly cut far enough away from it. If your bun has dark nails that's much harder though. To be safe don't cut too far behind the fur line, or just cut it tiny bit by bit every week.

If you really don't feel confident enough to do it yourself, you can always take your bunny to a vet, breeder or rescue to do it for you for a small fee.
But what if I cut into the quick? I just feel the rabbit I'll get is going to try and run or hop away....... Of course I'll tame it but I'm just sort of scared ill cut it

Trimming your rabbit's nails is just one of those things you need to learn to do even though it is scary at first. The first time we trimmed our rabbit's nails, it was a disaster. My husband, my two kids and I all tried taking turns holding the rabbits and attempting to trim their nails. My husband cut the quick by accident and it totally freaked us out, but the bunny was really okay. We put some cornstarch on the nail and it stopped bleeding. Over time we have gotten better at it. It's a learning process that you just have to go through. There are some videos on the internet showing different techniques. This one is pretty good: http://rabbit.org/how-to-trim-your-rabbits-nails/ I was able to trim some of my rabbit's nails with this technique, but not the back feet so much. The method that has worked best for us is for me to hold the rabbit in front of me (because I am the best at keeping a hold of them even if they squirm) and my daughter trims the nails. She hasn't wanted to do it lately though because she says it's too hard so I'm going to need to recruit a new helper or try again to do it all by myself. You could go to the vet, a breeder, or groomer, but eventually you'll want to learn to do it yourself.

I am always very careful to cut at least 2 millimetres away from the quick, and I haven't hurt my bunnies yet. However, accidents CAN happen and it's totally normal. Your rabbit will be shocked and try to escape but like any kid with a booboo, he'll/she'll get over it soon.

It's recommended to have styptic powder on hand to stop the blood if you do cut into the quick. Check out this link for more detailed info (honestly, I think it's a bit over the top, but good for someone not too confident about nail clipping): http://www.bunnymama.com/Care/NailClippings.aspx

Don't be too nervous about it, or your bun will pick up on your anxiety and make it even harder for you to get the job done.

just cut the very sharp point off then. thats all i did... i have only attempted to cut my rabbits nails once and i only got as far as doing the front paws before i had to give up. it took two people.one holding one cutting. and was not easy but had to be done. it is difficult with all the hair in the way and wriggling rabbits but it was not the worst thing in the world and our rabbit didnt care about the cutting part, he just wanted to get down and run around and play. next time around i feel like i am more confident with how to hold him and with a 2nd person to help. won't be my over anxious son next time either....haha

Thank you everyone!!! I feel a little confident now lol. When I cut my rabbits nails I decided to see if it will let my mom hold her so i can cut the nails. :) Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!!

Latest posts

Back