Any improvements needed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd probably embroider it with some DMC floss or pearl cotton since I don't have black yarn :) If I had some tiny hooks I could probably crochet some round eyes out of the black pearl cotton, buuuut I don't have tiny hooks yet. Smallest I have so far is an F. Noob!

I have some tiny hooks and some big hooks. I suppose its best to have both big and small. I think the floss or cotton would look nice on the rabbit.

Hmm, I think these ears need to be longer :p I'm going to fiddle with them a little.

In the meantime, here's the change I made to the foot base to produce 4 toes:
Rnd 1-2 are unchanged
Rnd 3: 2 hdc in first st, hdc in next 8 sts, [5 dc in next st, sc in next st], repeat [ ] 3 more times, hdc in next 8 sts, 2 hdc in last st, join.
Make 2 for each foot, or one of main color (MC) and one of contrasting color (CC) for each foot. Attach to Leg piece with MC side up.

Yes, Monty's ears are huge! You will definitely need to change the pattern around a little. :)

Thanks for the foot pattern, I like how realistic yours is.

Have you got your crochet Monty finished yet? If you have, post pics ASAP! :)

Also, a tip about the ears, my crochet bunny's ears flop a lot so a suggestion, you could put some wire in the ears to hold them up and make them poseable. Even if your crochet bunny's ears are already sewed on you can still shove some wire through the stitches.

Last edited:
No, not yet. I did an ear per the pattern and it feels too small and I want to make the inner ear cream, so I'm going to fiddle with it tonight. Since it needs wire anyway, it shouldn't hurt to make it bigger ;)

No, not yet. I did an ear per the pattern and it feels too small and I want to make the inner ear cream, so I'm going to fiddle with it tonight. Since it needs wire anyway, it shouldn't hurt to make it bigger ;)

Yes, the pattern for the ear is definitely too small for Monty's ears. Hers are huge! I think the inner ear would look nice in a different color. It would look more realistic.

Also, if you wanted you could try putting fur on your crochet bunny. Here is a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAggGMxlJ4o but, it may take a long time to put fur on your bunny because I have started putting fur on my white crochet bunny and it is taking rather long :p. But I'll post pictures once I'm finished. If I ever finish it. :p

Left: original ear. Right: my re-invention that took inspiration from the pattern used for Wendell the Wandering Wabbit

15qt404.jpg

I slip-stitched the bottom shut before finishing off (with a long tail that will be used for assembly), then the bottom edge will be folded in half before attaching to head to help it stand up, and I like the shape it gives it.

Like so:
502jns.jpg

(pardon Monty eating cecals in the background)

I like your new ear. It looks great! And it does look like Monty's ear. Its the same shape and size. I can't wait to see your finished bunny. I'm sure it will look awesome! :)

Have you decided if you can sell these yet? I'd love bunnies that look like my boys :)

I'm still thinking about it. I'll probably sell them soon. But I have to fix the problem of making furry bunnies. Like lionheads and angoras. There is a tutorial of how to put fur on your crochet work and making it fluffy. But it takes a while to do. But I can still price the furry bunnies a bit higher. I'm not sure yet, but they should be for sale soon. :)

Wow Missy, its really looking good! I love the head. And those ears look exactly like Monty's, the perfect size! And I think its cool that the ears stand up by them selves without needing wire. Maybe I should make some ears like that from now on. Great job! I can't wait to see it fully assembled. :)

Presenting...Mini Monty!!!

6p2ur4.jpg

30t6trs.jpg

n19pic.jpg

2zhqqys.jpg

2s8iydz.jpg

2zswkqr.jpg

Hey, what's this? *lick*
33kvp93.jpg

I thought it was funny that she pays more attention to this than to the fairly realistic stuffed bunny I bought her 9 months ago. Although this one probably smells like me, since I made it, haha. Maybe that makes it more interesting. I'll get some facial details on it soon! I got called into work and managed to tweak my neck, so I could only stand to look down long enough to get the parts sewn together...and I couldn't wait to share :)

The head is a little wobbly. I tried tacking it down a couple more times, but it's still wobbly. One of my front legs came out thinner than the other, argh.
I really like the head shape.

Oh, and you should probably figure out what the gauge for the bunny *should* be, and tell people to use a smaller or larger hook to match it. Mine is clearly a different size than your original brown one because I crochet tighter :p I did mine with an H hook. (I'm a fashion design major, so I can totally relate if this is making it seem like writing patterns for the masses is overly complicated)

Last edited:
Ooo, I love it! It looks great! And very realistic! Great Job! :) I can't wait to see it with its facial features.

Haha, that's cute that Monty pays more attention to it than the other plush bunny. Yes, its probably because it smells like you. And the fact that it looks like a real bunny might help.

My first crochet bunnny's head was a litte wobbly too. So I undid my sewing stitches and I resewed it. I sewed it by pulling the cheeks down a little and than I sewed it on to the body. Its kind of hard to explain. I can post a picture tutorial if you want.

I think its front legs still look pretty good. Even if one is slightly thinner than the other. I liked the head shape a lot too. I liked how realistic its shaped.

Yeah, you crochet tighter than I do. Maybe I should figure out the gauge. But since this is my second pattern I have created I'm not exactly sure how to determine the gauge. I'm sure google will help. I'll search about it right away.

Overall, I think your bunny looks great! I love how everything looks. Fantastic job! :)

Last edited:
yup, just like you would do with a letter, as long as you've got a pre-paid shipping label on it!

it's *so* nifty, especially since I'm half-nocturnal! the fact that I'm not always awake during the closest post office's business hours never causes any delays in getting things shipped, which means any orders I get are always in the post office's hands the next morning at the latest unless the order includes a custom (ie made-to-order) toy. well, unless they come in after about 9:30 pm on a Saturday, since the late night post office location closes at 10 pm on Saturday and doesn't open until 1 pm on Sunday :p

I wish we could do that here. Would save time and sometimes money (if you have to drive there). We have to join a "postal program" to have items picked up, unless you send your package via a courier which are usually more expensive. And unless you send at least 50 packages a week or something like that, they wont approve your application to join.

I love Australia because it's where im from, but sometimes i just want to tell Australia to go *BLEEP* itself and move overseas because were a ridiculously greedy country. :grumpy:

Mini Monty looks so cool! I will get around to pulling my needles out one day and attempt to crochet something. ^.^

Last edited:
Back