Any improvements needed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure how much I'd charge yet, I was thinking maybe $10 I'm not sure yet. I may lower or higher the price. If you would like to test the pattern I'll send it to you.

$10 would be totally reasonable if it covers your costs as far as time/materials... maybe even $15 for larger and/or more time intensive bunnies.

some comments on shipping and other business-type stuff, since you're planning to sell the bunnies...
~ as long as you keep things to 13 oz or less, shipping prices via first class mail are super cheap (maxes out at $3.77 for 13 oz on the USPS calculator)

~ if you use PayPal to collect money for the sales, do NOT go through the post office directly to ship. first of all, USPS site doesn't allow you to purchase first class postage online, which not only means a trip to the post office, it means no 15% or whatever discount for paying online. buy your shipping labels through the PayPal site! you can pay for first class postage online via PayPal even though you can't on the USPS site, meaning you get the discount for buying online (so it comes out cheaper than the USPS shipping calculator) AND you can print the label from home. going through PayPal instead of the post office, a 13 oz first class mail package is $3.38 instead of $3.77.

~ if you try to "schedule a pickup" to avoid having to drop the package off at the post office, USPS won't schedule pick-ups for first class packages unless you're also having at least one priority or express mail package picked up at the same time. *however*, there is a loophole! a scheduled package pick-up means you can leave stuff on the front porch or ask them to ring the doorbell to be handed the packages, etc. and is great for larger packages and/or multiple packages that won't fit in your mailbox... BUT, if the package(s) you're sending fit in your mailbox, you can just put them in there and raise the flag as long as they've got a pre-paid shipping label (which, as I said, you can get through paypal). I sent two first-class packages yesterday without a trip to the post office by sticking them in the mailbox.

~ boxes add weight and, if they aren't priority mail boxes (which you can get for free), will cost you 50c or more each which is another expense. padded envelopes are also stupidly expensive. Dollar Tree (and probably other places) sell 6 large non-padded envelopes for $1 (or about 18c each after tax). I'm guessing your bunnies will fit into one of those. when sending something 13 oz or less, I *always* put it in one of those envelopes if at all possible, "padding" it myself if needed (because a 1' square sheet of bubble wrap + an unpadded envelope comes out cheaper than just buying a padded envelope :p).

I've never had an issue (damage, tearing, etc.) mailing stuff in non-padded envelops (for items that might break, I'll use bubble-wrap to pad it, but I don't use bubble-wrap if only shipping fabric/sewn items). you can get quite a bit into those envelopes - I sent a yard of fleece to someone last week, so the envelope was like 5'' thick or something. since you would be stuffing the envelopes pretty full, I do recommend using mailing tape to reinforce the corners and, if you're worried, maybe the seams.

~ you can set up a basic PayPal business account for free (if you already have a personal account, you can opt to change the existing account to a business one). when collecting payments through PayPal + making shipping labels directly from your PayPal account, PayPal auto-inserts the person's shipping address onto the label, so you never have to worry about a typo or mistake when copying the address. the shipping labels are auto-purchased with funds from your PayPal balance (ie the money someone just paid you) and when you print the shipping label, they're automatically sent an email from PayPal with the tracking info for their order.

you can maintain a balance in your PayPal account with your income and use it for online purchases, or you can transfer the money to your bank account free of charge.

~ with PayPal, you can send an invoice to someone using their email address which has the details (item cost, shipping cost, etc.) and a link they can use to pay the invoice... they don't HAVE to have PayPal to pay it, they can also use a credit or debit card without needing a PayPal account. the invoice doesn't cost anything to send, however PayPal does take a cut of 30c + 2.9% when the customer pays.

using the invoice system, you could do sales and shipping through paypal without needing to set up a website or go through a selling/auction site of any type (for example, if you wanted to arrange sales by talking to people via PM on RO).

~ if you do want to set up a website, I recommend Weebly - it's very easy to use! if you want a domain that doesn't tack on ".weebly" (or /, I don't remember) at the end, you've gotta purchase a domain... however, if you're ok with them adding "weebly" into the domain name, you can use a free one and you can still pick whatever domain name you want. while you CAN upgrade to weebly Pro for a price, there's honestly **** near no incentive to use the paid version - there's *very* little that you can't do with the free version.

TLDR: you can get a PayPal business account (which can be upgraded, but there's really no incentive to at all for a small online business to upgrade) and - if you want one - a nice website (as basic or as complex as you want) that's easy to make for NO cost at all. you can collect payments via PayPal (where people can pay by debit card, credit card, bank account or paypal balance) through your website and/or by sending invoices for a cost of 30c + 2.9% per transaction. by using PayPal to make shipping labels, you can get cheaper first class shipping rates (and the cheaper "online prices" if you use priority mail) and you can just stick packages in your mailbox to mail them without ever leaving home.

if you want priority mail to be an option, you can order official "priority mail" boxes in whatever size(s) you want in quantities of 10 or 25 off the USPS website and have them delivered to your home (both the boxes and the delivery are 100% free).

(if you have any questions at all about setting up/using a PayPal business account, sending invoices, shipping packages, making a website using Weebly and/or any other small business stuff, feel free to PM me - I've had to learn all of that in order to get my online store up and running.)

Wow, thanks Jennifer for the info! I don't think I knew any of that before. And actually my father ran an online business some time ago. So hopefully he'll be able to help me out. Thanks for the idea of selling via pm I like that idea. And thanks for telling me about the packages, I didn't know you could just stick it in the mail box.

yup, just like you would do with a letter, as long as you've got a pre-paid shipping label on it!

it's *so* nifty, especially since I'm half-nocturnal! the fact that I'm not always awake during the closest post office's business hours never causes any delays in getting things shipped, which means any orders I get are always in the post office's hands the next morning at the latest unless the order includes a custom (ie made-to-order) toy. well, unless they come in after about 9:30 pm on a Saturday, since the late night post office location closes at 10 pm on Saturday and doesn't open until 1 pm on Sunday :p

yup, just like you would do with a letter, as long as you've got a pre-paid shipping label on it!

it's *so* nifty, especially since I'm half-nocturnal! the fact that I'm not always awake during the closest post office's business hours never causes any delays in getting things shipped, which means any orders I get are always in the post office's hands the next morning at the latest unless the order includes a custom (ie made-to-order) toy. well, unless they come in after about 9:30 pm on a Saturday, since the late night post office location closes at 10 pm on Saturday and doesn't open until 1 pm on Sunday :p

I know, they close so early. Here the closest post office closes at 3:30 but on May 18 they are going to close at 12:00 so I think shipping from the mailbox is a great idea.

wow, that's nuts. the little strip-mall mini post office that's less than a mile from my house as well as the major location (that actually deals with out-going stuff, too) a couple miles away are both open 8:30 am to 6 pm on weekdays and 8:30 to 1 pm on Saturday. the location behind the airport, which is 4.5 miles away, is open 8 am to 10 pm Mon-Sat and 1 pm to 8 pm on Sunday. the hours and locations are actually pretty convenient, but I still thoroughly appreciate being able to mail packages without leaving the house.

wow, that's nuts. the little strip-mall mini post office that's less than a mile from my house as well as the major location (that actually deals with out-going stuff, too) a couple miles away are both open 8:30 am to 6 pm on weekdays and 8:30 to 1 pm on Saturday. the location behind the airport, which is 4.5 miles away, is open 8 am to 10 pm Mon-Sat and 1 pm to 8 pm on Sunday. the hours and locations are actually pretty convenient, but I still thoroughly appreciate being able to mail packages without leaving the house.

Wow, you have much better hours than us. But I agree its much easier to just walk down your driveway and shove a package in the mailbox instead of having to drive 15 minutes to a post office.

Well, I got the main body crocheted up, and I'm noticing that the rapid decrease causes a really pronounced rippling that won't smooth out. I notice it showed up in your samples, too. What would you think of tweaking it so the decrease was spread over one or two more rounds, similar to the gradual increase at the beginning?

I also did two front paws so far. The first one is all brown just so I could get a feel for it, then the second one I started with cream and used that for the first 3 rounds, then switched to brown :) I like it! Now to make a second one with a cream paw, then I'll move to other parts :) I'm going to do the back feet the same way.

Well, I got the main body crocheted up, and I'm noticing that the rapid decrease causes a really pronounced rippling that won't smooth out. I notice it showed up in your samples, too. What would you think of tweaking it so the decrease was spread over one or two more rounds, similar to the gradual increase at the beginning?

I also did two front paws so far. The first one is all brown just so I could get a feel for it, then the second one I started with cream and used that for the first 3 rounds, then switched to brown :) I like it! Now to make a second one with a cream paw, then I'll move to other parts :) I'm going to do the back feet the same way.

Great you got the body done! :thumbup. Yes, I'll try to alter the pattern and make the deacreases more spread out. I'll see what I can do.

The front paws sound good! I think yours will look great! I like that you are switching colors for the paws. I bet it looks great! I can't wait to see what your bunny looks like.

On another note, I'm creating a pattern for a small bunny. I could either use it for a baby bunny or a miniature version of adult bunnies. I think I'll use it for both.

So far:

2ex3e5f.jpg

2n7i2s3.jpg

210ddep.jpg

30rkydz.jpg

awrsr6.jpg

Wow, its looking really good Missy! I bet it will be a very nice looking bunny. It looks really great, and for a first time amigurumi its really good. Are you going to make it look like Monty? or are you just crocheting any bunny just to see how it turns out.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm making it kinda Monty-like. I dunno why my first attempt at this post didn't get sent. I probably went to the first page to look at the pics of yours without posting my reply first. duh.

Anyway, I'm a little further along now. I did one back leg so far, and it seemed like it was coming out really short, so I added one round of SC when it was still 10 stitches, and an additional round of 20 after the increase. Maybe it'll look better once it's all sewn together, or maybe it'll look funny :p We'll see.

I jumped forward and started working on the foot pads. I made one per the original pattern, with 3 toes, then experimented with redistributing the stitches to allow for 4 toes so it's more realistic. I can type out what I did if you want to offer that option in the pattern.

Here's a shot of the original, then my first attempt at 4 toes, then the second try. I like the far right one the best :) I'm going to do 1 of cream and 1 of brown for each foot so they'll have light soles

b82qg9.jpg

When I made the white bunny, it seemed like its legs needed to be a little taller, so I added 2 rounds of 20 and that seemed to do the trick. Also, to see what it will look like you can pin it on to the body and to the foot if you want.

I think your foot pattern looks more realistic than theirs. Yes, it would be great if you could share the pattern! I think yours look much better.

Everything is looking good so far! I can't wait to see how your bunny looks when fully assembled. How much of the bunny do you have done now, how many body parts?

I've got enough done that it's starting to look like roadkill :p Poor crochet bunny

e5lqc1.jpg

Top of the one back foot I finished:
11avqrb.jpg

Bottom view:
6yehbb.jpg

It feels like the head came out a little small, but I'll wait and see how it looks once I make the ears.

It is looking pretty good! I can't wait to see how it looks when its done. When I first made my bunny I was afraid it wouldn't look good when all sewed together, but once it was sewn together it was better than I thought it would be.

Also, a tip about the feet, when I made my bunny I made the first base part of the foot and then I made the second one but instead of finishing off I went ahead and slip stitched the two base feet together than I stopped and left a big enough gap for me to turn it inside out.

Last edited:
Ah, okay. I wasn't sure since there aren't really any assembly instructions :p I was also a little worried about trying to do something like that because it seems like my gauge is so tight that everything is coming out small. Hmm, I flipped the foot that I'm slipstitching now and it looks interesting that way too, but I'll just leave it with the seam out so it matches the one I already made. Tester bunny will be a little special.

I just realized I don't have any black or other eye-colored yarn, so I might cut out felt circles for the eyes and sew them on with embroidery floss. Eeeeee I'm getting so excited that I'm nearing the finish of this little guy :)

I made a new white bunny from the same pattern as the brown bunny. I tried to correct the problems the old one has. Here it is. Let me know what you think.
phprafwodpm-7065.jpg

phpryhh9vpm-7064.jpg

^ As you can see, I compared the two. I used a much smaller hook for the white one. And a big hook for the brown one.
phppm1bqtpm-7057.jpg

php4sgyvepm-7063.jpg

phpe7rppepm-7062.jpg

phplldkfvpm-7061.jpg

phpnjwokopm-7060.jpg

phpo0l0lrpm-7059.jpg

phpoiniqrpm-7058.jpg
I think they are both adorable. One tiny suggestion you might try. Put a tiny square of white in each eye, to give them a more lifelike look.

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure since there aren't really any assembly instructions :p I was also a little worried about trying to do something like that because it seems like my gauge is so tight that everything is coming out small. Hmm, I flipped the foot that I'm slipstitching now and it looks interesting that way too, but I'll just leave it with the seam out so it matches the one I already made. Tester bunny will be a little special.

I just realized I don't have any black or other eye-colored yarn, so I might cut out felt circles for the eyes and sew them on with embroidery floss. Eeeeee I'm getting so excited that I'm nearing the finish of this little guy :)

Sorry about no assembly instuctions. I was going too. But then I thought ah well know one will probably even use this pattern except me and I already know how to assemble it. Hopefully the pictures will help. I don't crochet really tightly so maybe thats why mine is bigger than yours.

I think felt eyes would still look pretty good. But how will you make the mouth? I embriodered my bunnies mouths, but you could draw it with a marker. I always get excited when nearing the end of my project too. It is pretty exciting.

Also yes, it would be great if you could type out your four toed foot pattern. I think it looks much more realistic! :)

Last edited:
I'd probably embroider it with some DMC floss or pearl cotton since I don't have black yarn :) If I had some tiny hooks I could probably crochet some round eyes out of the black pearl cotton, buuuut I don't have tiny hooks yet. Smallest I have so far is an F. Noob!

Hmm, I think these ears need to be longer :p I'm going to fiddle with them a little.

In the meantime, here's the change I made to the foot base to produce 4 toes:
Rnd 1-2 are unchanged
Rnd 3: 2 hdc in first st, hdc in next 8 sts, [5 dc in next st, sc in next st], repeat [ ] 3 more times, hdc in next 8 sts, 2 hdc in last st, join.
Make 2 for each foot, or one of main color (MC) and one of contrasting color (CC) for each foot. Attach to Leg piece with MC side up.

Back