Any ideas what official color she is?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acacia-Berry

Reaction score
Acacia is over 5 years old now. I have always wondered what her official Rabbit community color is? Her vet records have her as seal point (they know it's inacurate they just didn't know what else to put on her chart) and since then I have made the closest guess to be chinchilla/sable. Is this the closest accuracy? It's not a big deal, it would just be nice to know ^.^
Her mama was a broken caramel color and her daddy was black. Her 2 brothers were black like daddy and Acacia and her sister were the same color. Noone looked like mama bunny! I'm sure they're dwarf mixes bc the people selling them were BYB who had 2 unaltered pet store rabbits.
First is her baby pic- she's gotten darker with every molt since maturation!
275805eb.jpg

halifax2011bananabunny022.jpg

halifax2011bananabunny026.jpg

Thanks!

Some people call the color seal point, but there is actually no such color in the ARBA standard (used by Canada also). I'd call her a vienna marked sable point. She doesn't appear to be a sable chin.

Haha!! Yes that's all Acacia pics!! The first one she's about 5 months old (and is a picture of a picture). The last 2 pics were taken 2 days ago in the bathroom, front on she looks dark, but I put that one there to show her facial markings (the blaze is crooked bc of a bad abscess a couple years ago). She was very light cream when I got her, now she's darker with this gorgeous white shawl :) Vienna marked sable? Thanks!

Acacia-Berry wrote:
Haha!! Yes that's all Acacia pics!! The first one she's about 5 months old (and is a picture of a picture). The last 2 pics were taken 2 days ago in the bathroom, front on she looks dark, but I put that one there to show her facial markings (the blaze is crooked bc of a bad abscess a couple years ago). She was very light cream when I got her, now she's darker with this gorgeous white shawl :) Vienna marked sable? Thanks!

Vienna marked Sable Point. Sable is a completely different colour in itself, so you can't get them mixed up. ;)

Emily

Yeah she's definitely a point. It's like a siamese cat where certain body parts/points are darker than the rest of the body.

She's a very pretty girl :)

are any part of her eyes blue? I'm not sure if they have to have blue in their eyes to be a vienna marked but she does look like one. From that first picture I thought she was a Britannia Petite but being as they aren't very common in most places i'm not sure.

Heres a picture of a VM brit to show how closely VM can resemble a dutch. It has the blaze, saddle, front feet and stops. But is a Dutch Marked Sport
Blue Eyed White (Vienna Gene) Carrier
according to the description by the breeder
dutchsport.jpg

That rabbit doesn't need ALL of those names to describe it--they all mean the same thing! "Dutch marked", "Sport", "BEW Carrier", "BEW Marked", "Vienna Marked", "Vienna Carrier" all mean the same thing. :)

Hmm, No there's no blue in her eyes. I know for a fact that she's been bred by some probably badly bred pet store rabbits. Her parent-bunnies were kept by some pretty low people who obviously knew nothing of rabbits. I wouldn't be surprised if Acacia was the only survivor of her litter.
The Vienna marked thing makes a lot of sense. I couldn't find too many online picures to support it as well as that one posted above :) Can that gene be carried down through a long line to pet stores?
Last year there was a rabbit in the rescue of similar color.

HappyFarmBunnies wrote:
That rabbit doesn't need ALL of those names to describe it--they all mean the same thing! "Dutch marked", "Sport", "BEW Carrier", "BEW Marked", "Vienna Marked", "Vienna Carrier" all mean the same thing. :)
lol i know i just copied and pasted what the description was. Thank you for clarifying

I think if there was a true blue eyed white rabbit in the mix then any offspring mixed or not would be affected (meaning also a true blue eyed white rabbit) or a carrier (recessive BEW carrier). If the carrier is mixed with another recessive carrier then a VM is highly probable. There are surprisingly alot of VM rabbits in the pet world because VM is not a showable color so they are either used in the breeding program if they are good typed or sold as pets. Because of the cute markings they are sold quickly and very desirable

Oh! Very interesting. Ok,I'd say there's some VM in the mills then, sold there bc of "undesirable" coloring. I admit, back 5 years ago, I chose her for her coloring (bonus was she was a female, which I wanted)

Latest posts

Back