another rabbit family menber

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buneary49

Reaction score
2879376641_32e67d5ba2.jpg

479214161_0a3e8bae77.jpg

Look at this face of this cotton tail rabbit

once again the question pops up has anyone ever had one of these rabbits as a pet? I remenber in desert survival these poor creatures were thought as food for survival, but it stated don't eat sick cottontails or if has fleas.but these beautiful rabbits are worth photos and videos, but eating? noI think not.

Well Bo B Bunny has Clover, a little cottontail with a messed up leg after a cat attack.

And Hazel-Mom has Hazel -- although I'm still not sure Hazel is truly a cottontail 'cause she's pretty darn friendly for a wild bunny.

Cottontails normally make lousy pets because they're really skittish -- they can slam into walls and cage bars while trying to avoid humans. They never get over those instincts, and they're usually desperately unhappy in captivity.

Hand-raised babies may not be as bad when they're tiny, but they grow into that wild streak.

Bo had to keep little Clover because she wouldn't have survived in the wild, and she's not too too bad, but it's normally really a bad idea to try and keep them.

They're a lot of fun to watch in the wild, though!

sas :bunnydance:

Clover is an Eastern cottontail - and it was a dog attack ;)and she is adorable, hilarious, but also still pretty wild. We had intended to release her but she was too badly hurt. Setting her free would have been a death sentence. I couldn't do that to somebunny I worked so hard to keep alive!

No one should keep cottontails that can release them. Hazel was too imprinted, Clover was too handicapped. You are right tho, they are gorgeous! Clover has the biggest tail :)

PIPP is right about how skittish they are. Clover has literally climbed the wall! :shock:

She does let us pet her a little now. That's only taken almost 3 years LOL!

clovervalentine.jpg

here in arizona they have them next to the jackrabbits thier not in cages they are kept in a enviroment and there is a spiecal window where you can see them but they can't see you.

they prepare each day a lot of wild rabbit food.

but I agree I would love to video tape them and take photos of them.

wabbitmom12 wrote:
Buneary49 wrote:
and yet in a desert survival book they say eddiable rabbits only when healthy
Hey, Buneary, I'd watch that "eddiablerabbits" talk on this forum....you might get lynched!! ;) hee, hee
:energizerbunny:
It's not my fault blame the arthors that wrote the book on desert survival.

I like to photos and videos on wild rabbits.

Buneary49 wrote:
wabbitmom12 wrote:
Buneary49 wrote:
and yet in a desert survival book they say eddiable rabbits only when healthy
Hey, Buneary, I'd watch that "eddiablerabbits" talk on this forum....you might get lynched!! ;) hee, hee
It's not my fault blame the arthors that wrote the book on desert survival.

I like to photos and videos on wild rabbits.
It is kinda your fault. Even tho u just typed what u read. We don't talk about "eddiable" and rabbits in the same sentience it's a NO NO on this forum.
I'm sure it's posted somewhere but i can't find it right now.

ever wondered what cottontails eat out in the deserts

I found this article our bunnies relations here in Arizona

http://www.alexandgregory.com/hares.html

read this about the artic hare

it's wonderful.

Marsh rabbits have dark brown coats and white bellies. Their ears are relatively short, but wide. They can walk on their hind legs, which are shorter than those of their cousins. They live near water and flee there in case of any danger. They can float in the water with their eyes and

Latest posts

Back