Another Newbie and 🐰 Here

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMommaDrea

Reaction score
Just didn't want to join and not intro myself here. I am a brand new bunny momma with a rescued buck who is not yet neutered. I plan on sharing some more about him as soon as can get some pics of him uploaded. His name is Hank, but I can't see myself calling him that for some reason or another. Harvey or Peanut comes from my lips when saying hello to him. I've even called him Hamlet. Someone told me to just leave his name Hank. Why I say? The person/people who gave him that name didn't want him anymore and from what I am told abandoned him. I don't think he likes the name, he doesn't come to it when called. He does come when he sees me, but he wants to get to personal with my hand which is why I feel he probably needs to be neutered. I had many buns when I was a young girl. So many funny times way back then to share about them. However times have changed, and I am no spring chicken and I seemed to have forgotten just how much care and "Feedings" are required for my bunnies well being. Before posting here I sneaked a peak at another newbies (Blue eyes and Odyssey) thread and saw she had a YouTube channel and watching her intro video I feel a little overwhelmed now but grateful that if this is the way my bunny needs to be cared for and fed then I am willing to do what is necessary. I have been doing all I can to spoil him and give him his best life ever but I do have cats and dogs and I really don't want him being scared of his new home. Any help and advice anyone can point me in the direction to and or offer me is greatly appreciated. It's great to be here, time to hop on off of here and go Feed my bunny🐰 before I head to bed myself since I work nights. Thanks in advance.

I think he was actually posing for these pics when I told him I joined here and wanted to introduce him to other bunny moms, dads and bunnies.

I did give him his 1st real salad of greens made by me and he was only a fan of the cilantri, celery top greens. He didn't want the romaine at least not yet anyway. He also got 2 baby carrots he ate. I fear he's more addicted to treats and not the more beneficial greens he needs. He does prefer Timothy hay over the pelleted food I've been giving him where he eats the that like stuff from it. I have some eating behaviors to work on with him that were created by his previous caretakers including but not limited to those who tried rehoming him from his original owner(s)? I waste to thank Odyssey/Blue eyes for all the helpful things I'm learning. I guess I need not mention you have a fan in me.❤🤗🐰🐇🌿🌾🍃🥕

Hello and welcome to the forum! Knowledge about pet rabbit care has grown considerably over the past couple/few decades. Some of the "old" ways are still being promoted online, so it can certainly get confusing trying to sort through the good advice and the outdated advice.

Do you know your rabbit's approximate age?

If greens and veggies are new to him, do go slowly. Best to offer only one type at a time, not multiple. Carrots are high in sugar, so if they are new to him, hold off for a couple days since he just ate 2 baby nibs. Don't want a sugar overload.

If you haven't found my website on any posts you've read here on RO, you may find it useful:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/

Hello and welcome to the forum! Knowledge about pet rabbit care has grown considerably over the past couple/few decades. Some of the "old" ways are still being promoted online, so it can certainly get confusing trying to sort through the good advice and the outdated advice.

Do you know your rabbit's approximate age?

If greens and veggies are new to him, do go slowly. Best to offer only one type at a time, not multiple. Carrots are high in sugar, so if they are new to him, hold off for a couple days since he just ate 2 baby nibs. Don't want a sugar overload.

If you haven't found my website on any posts you've read here on RO, you may find it useful:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/
Thank you Blue eyes, I think I had you confused with odyssey but now I am learning. Also please excuse the few typos... my vision isn't the greatest and when I post from my phone though I do proof read everything I have a tendency to post words that if I read them back later as a reminder of what I posted I will notice. Hopefully everyone around here is as fluent in typonese as they you all seem to be in bunnynease LOL

Peanut (name for now anyway) I was told is about a year and a half. I wish I was able to get his actual birth date because like all my furbabies I love to have them a party every year. Not Kidding!

I checked on him just a few moments ago before it was time for me to come into my office to work. I wanted to be sure if there was any leftover greens in there that they didn't stay in there and rot, cause any issues for him. Apparently he did eat all I put out for him. This is only the 1st time in about 3 days I allowed him the 2 tiny carrots for treats. I know even for me carrots are high in sugar and thus should not be given abundantly. The greens on fresh ones though might be more suitable for future feeds. Afterall I am trying to garden as a 1st time gardener and most of what I will now grow will be for Peanut.

I hadn't found your website, clicked to visit now. I surely will go have a look and enjoy while I sip on my no longer hot cup of coffee and wait for work to call on me here in my office. Thank you for sharing with me. Not just your knowledge but your website. I look forward to checking it out.

I so am enjoying it here and what I have learned so far. I am actually quite grateful for the post from Odyssey about feeding. Wish I had known before I went out and spent what I did on food I see is not optimal for him like I assumed by the price and where I got it from. Sad how food manufactures care no more about the buns than the ones who make food for humans to consume do. Easier to eat what you grow! Also same can be said now for Peanut.

I love him so much! It was actually love at 1st sight. I didn't see him before I asked if I could have him. He was posted on a free site like Marketplace and without a rehoming fee I feared he would succumb to something horrid. I couldn't' stand the thought. I clicked fast and feel like I won a lottery when the lady gave me her address and told me I could come pick him up. She even had her husband go out and get him some fresh bedding when I was on my way so she could clean his cage so I didn't have to travel with a dirty cage. I didn't understand that at 1st but then was reminded why. I took him home, got him settled and went back out to Tractor Supply to see what I could find there to spoil him with.

I got him some new bedding but I don't like it. It's kinda hard and glandular like and it's hard to see what he's gotten wet and the poops are not easy to sift out of it. Sorry I am super OCD with everything I do, and cleaning out the Buns cage for me is a daily task. I clean my kitty boxes several times daily so why not not do the same for him? I read poops are a teritorial thing, so I hope this isn't a bad decision on my part? I ordered 2 corner litter pans for him as he goes only in the corners but only when it comes to #1s but #2s are everywhere. Thus his nickname is Sir Poopsalot! The cage he is in is the one he came with and to me its not as large as I would like. I would love to let him out and run around but there is too much too soon and 6 cats, 2 LARGE dogs I don't trust so I am curious as to what others here who may be in the same or similar situation use to give their buns more room and some freedom.

Thanks again for all the help. You will be seeing more from me, I am new but really feel this is a great place for me and for Peanut.

he's absolutely adorable! the enclosure does look a little small as with the setup isn't the best, but I'm sure with some time on here you'll be able to get his care amazing! i love his colouring!!! :) <3

Thank you so very much and yes as I said above in my reply to Blue eyes, I realize the cage isn't optimal. It's what he was given to me in. I thought it was big when I 1st saw it because it hardly fit into the backseat of my car, but I had wanted and have been looking into many different options as far as much larger areas for him to roam safely during the day. The cage should only be a place for him to sleep in at night or take naps in where he can feel safe. I love how you have your set up for Odyssee, that is one lucky and very spoiled Bun! So any help, advice, links to cage materials, plans, etc.. would be awesome and appreciated so very much. I probably should add that I would like a way to save his poops for the garden. I don't like having him in a hutch with hardware cloth on his feet that would be uncomfortable unless it was just in the corners as he seems to already use now for going #1 (see reply to Blue eyes). I keep my garden Organic and no use of chemical or "organic" fertilizers, or pesticides for the safety of my bunny who will be the future consumer of what grows in there but whomever else eats from it. I also am a Worm Momma and do vermicomposting which is what I plan on adding to my garden instead.

I did look up Peanut's color, appearance and size and I think he is either a Dwarf Rex or a Thrianta. I currently have Blue eyes website up in another tab waiting for me to enjoy. Perhaps I can learn more on there. I already see from the main page I can get some help and ideas about cages, play pens, etc.

Thanks again, see you and Odyssey on your YouTubes. Can't wait to watch more! 😍🐰

Hello! Welcome! Look at that beautiful bunny you have there. Enjoy your stay. We're great people here. <3 I think a name change would be in order for him. He doesn't look like a Hank. How old is he? I didn't read all the replies yet, so just curious. (On my last break of the day from work so really cannot sit and read all replies right now.)

Hello! Welcome! Look at that beautiful bunny you have there. Enjoy your stay. We're great people here. <3 I think a name change would be in order for him. He doesn't look like a Hank. How old is he? I didn't read all the replies yet, so just curious. (On my last break of the day from work so really cannot sit and read all replies right now.)
Thank you for the warm welcome, I love that your an artist. I had a friend who called herself Chibi Madi and she used to create the most awesome polymer clay chibi miniatures and sell them on ebay and places like that. She drew them and other things also.

Yeah I've been calling Hank Peanut but for some reason I am still thinking of other names for him. Just not sure but don't want to confuse him. I have 6 kitties and fun fact they all almost have names or nic names after food items. Like I have a black cat we call Pickle, and a Russian Blue kitty we named Blue but call Blueberry and I have a black and white kitty that I don't know why my husband years ago started calling Pancake and now we have Peanut LOL...but while every one of my furbabies has a name they each have at least. 1nic-name we also tend to call them and they seem to know all their names when called.

I was told he is about 1 and a half years old. I wish I knew his exact birthday and most especially his breed. I have tried guessing and then see more and more information about breeds online that I then wonder if he is something else or mixed with other breeds, etc. All I know is I am so in love with the little fella and I've been wanting to spoil him more and more every day but there is still so many questions I want to pick everyone's brains here to know. Have to post about cages because I have some in a shopping cart now and not sure which to get.

Thanks again for posting to my intro here. I am trying to keep up but I work nights and its not been easy with everything else I try doing and have to do.

Thank you for the warm welcome, I love that your an artist. I had a friend who called herself Chibi Madi and she used to create the most awesome polymer clay chibi miniatures and sell them on ebay and places like that. She drew them and other things also.

Yeah I've been calling Hank Peanut but for some reason I am still thinking of other names for him. Just not sure but don't want to confuse him. I have 6 kitties and fun fact they all almost have names or nic names after food items. Like I have a black cat we call Pickle, and a Russian Blue kitty we named Blue but call Blueberry and I have a black and white kitty that I don't know why my husband years ago started calling Pancake and now we have Peanut LOL...but while every one of my furbabies has a name they each have at least. 1nic-name we also tend to call them and they seem to know all their names when called.

I was told he is about 1 and a half years old. I wish I knew his exact birthday and most especially his breed. I have tried guessing and then see more and more information about breeds online that I then wonder if he is something else or mixed with other breeds, etc. All I know is I am so in love with the little fella and I've been wanting to spoil him more and more every day but there is still so many questions I want to pick everyone's brains here to know. Have to post about cages because I have some in a shopping cart now and not sure which to get.

Thanks again for posting to my intro here. I am trying to keep up but I work nights and its not been easy with everything else I try doing and have to do.
My pleasure. I know the feeling of not really having time to do things. I spend all day at work. I haven't had a chance to draw since Easter. :/ But at least my bunnies get to spend time with me as I work from home.

Thank you Blue eyes, I think I had you confused with odyssey but now I am learning. Also please excuse the few typos... my vision isn't the greatest and when I post from my phone though I do proof read everything I have a tendency to post words that if I read them back later as a reminder of what I posted I will notice. Hopefully everyone around here is as fluent in typonese as they you all seem to be in bunnynease LOL

Peanut (name for now anyway) I was told is about a year and a half. I wish I was able to get his actual birth date because like all my furbabies I love to have them a party every year. Not Kidding!

I checked on him just a few moments ago before it was time for me to come into my office to work. I wanted to be sure if there was any leftover greens in there that they didn't stay in there and rot, cause any issues for him. Apparently he did eat all I put out for him. This is only the 1st time in about 3 days I allowed him the 2 tiny carrots for treats. I know even for me carrots are high in sugar and thus should not be given abundantly. The greens on fresh ones though might be more suitable for future feeds. Afterall I am trying to garden as a 1st time gardener and most of what I will now grow will be for Peanut.

I hadn't found your website, clicked to visit now. I surely will go have a look and enjoy while I sip on my no longer hot cup of coffee and wait for work to call on me here in my office. Thank you for sharing with me. Not just your knowledge but your website. I look forward to checking it out.

I so am enjoying it here and what I have learned so far. I am actually quite grateful for the post from Odyssey about feeding. Wish I had known before I went out and spent what I did on food I see is not optimal for him like I assumed by the price and where I got it from. Sad how food manufactures care no more about the buns than the ones who make food for humans to consume do. Easier to eat what you grow! Also same can be said now for Peanut.

I love him so much! It was actually love at 1st sight. I didn't see him before I asked if I could have him. He was posted on a free site like Marketplace and without a rehoming fee I feared he would succumb to something horrid. I couldn't' stand the thought. I clicked fast and feel like I won a lottery when the lady gave me her address and told me I could come pick him up. She even had her husband go out and get him some fresh bedding when I was on my way so she could clean his cage so I didn't have to travel with a dirty cage. I didn't understand that at 1st but then was reminded why. I took him home, got him settled and went back out to Tractor Supply to see what I could find there to spoil him with.

I got him some new bedding but I don't like it. It's kinda hard and glandular like and it's hard to see what he's gotten wet and the poops are not easy to sift out of it. Sorry I am super OCD with everything I do, and cleaning out the Buns cage for me is a daily task. I clean my kitty boxes several times daily so why not not do the same for him? I read poops are a teritorial thing, so I hope this isn't a bad decision on my part? I ordered 2 corner litter pans for him as he goes only in the corners but only when it comes to #1s but #2s are everywhere. Thus his nickname is Sir Poopsalot! The cage he is in is the one he came with and to me its not as large as I would like. I would love to let him out and run around but there is too much too soon and 6 cats, 2 LARGE dogs I don't trust so I am curious as to what others here who may be in the same or similar situation use to give their buns more room and some freedom.

Thanks again for all the help. You will be seeing more from me, I am new but really feel this is a great place for me and for Peanut.
Peanut is a beautiful bun and I can tell you're gonna be a great bunny mom based on the questions you're asking. He is in good hands. My advice is to find a hay he loves and make sure he eats plenty of it. And welcome to the bunny community!!!
-Cara

My pleasure. I know the feeling of not really having time to do things. I spend all day at work. I haven't had a chance to draw since Easter. :/ But at least my bunnies get to spend time with me as I work from home.
I work from home also. I can't wait till the stuff comes to build Peanut's new area where I hope he will enjoy binkying around and being better able to stretch out and play. I even picked up a cute childs doll bed at the thrift yesterday for him. I can not wait to spoil him some more. I hope you soon find some time to draw. I know how having hobbies and doing polymer clay and dollhouse miniatures which was my love once upon a time was such awesome therapy for me. Now it's learning to be a gardner. Another plan in the works is growing Peanut all of is greens, herbs and treats I plan to give to him from a special garden I plan on naming after Peanut himself.
-Drea

Latest posts

Back