Announcement!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
Some of you may have been following my and Mr. Stee's thread about the orphaned baby bun we've been raising. We named her Dora (the Explorer!).
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=39089&forum_id=8

It looks like we can keep her! Her owners are splitting up and the guy wants us to keep her because he doesn't think he can care for her. He might end up bringing Dora's daddy to the Humane Society too, he's not sure yet. She doesn't know the plan yet, he doesn't think she'll think about Dora at all and he doesn't want her to take any of the pets because he doesn't think she'll do even basic care. Hence daddy bun being better off at the shelter if the guy can't afford to care for him. It's a sad situation for them, but I get to keep Dora!

Dora is around 7 weeks old, she doesn't have an exact birth date. And she's been medicine free with no problems for several days now! No more tummy meds since last week too! Although she still gets Benebac daily as a precaution. Sensitive little bugger.

Here are some pics of her from 10/6 that I've been promising for a while. She's growing really well now and has crazy long legs... and what appears to be a tiny dewlap? Dunno. We have no clue on her actual gender. If she ends up being a boy will change the name to Roo because she stands up like a kangaroo ALL the time. :p

100_6356a.jpg

100_6337a.jpg

100_6332a.jpg

100_6328a.jpg

100_6324a.jpg

100_6317a.jpg

She's a lot more filled out now. Finally! Unfortunately my video converter program isn't working but I have some really cute videos of her.

Dora is so darling! I think you picked the perfect name. She looks very energetic, too. Congrats!

She is so adorable! She looks like she is a wild rabbit though. Or at least Britianna Petite.

Oh My Goodness, I'm so happy for you and Dora. She couldn't ask for better parents. Woo Hoo! Dora is at home now.

Susan
hase_gruen.gif
abunny.gif
hase264.gif
hase133.gif
rabbit29.gif

I am honestly soglad to hear this! You guys saved her life, you two are awesome!

She's super cute, and does remind me of a wild bunny, hehe! Aww!

Congrats !! on baby Dora :woohoo

you sure deserve to keep her after all you've been through ...:party:
She is very unusual looking .. are you 100% sure that she's a domestic??

Yeah, we keep looking at the wild rabbits in the yard and we've been finding small differences. I think she looks like a Britannia Petite mix. I've seen others in the area. If her daddy goes to the shelter I'll be able to get a good look at him. James saw him when he picked Dora and Gir (RIP) up and said the dad looked like a dwarf bun with kind of long-ish fur. Dora's getting that fur now too. The wild buns have sleeker fur, among other differences.

I'm also wondering if she may have developed differently because of how malnourished and sick she's been. I don't know anyone who's raised an orphan through circumstances like this so I don't have a comparison.

I'm going to try to get more pics this weekend. She's a lot bigger now and more filled out too.

Good news. :bunnydance:

Like the song, Que Sara Sara, what ever will be, will be.

One of our neighbors are going through a divorce, they are selling their house, and their cat won't be around any more to run free outside.

She's really cute! Congrats!

On the note of what type:

I think she's a cottontail to be honest. Did she have the white mark on her forehead? She looks nearly identical to Clover except for Clover's bad leg.

I've noticed that Clover isn't quite as big as the outside wild bunnies and I think that is because of her being fed differently as a baby and stuff like that.

Do you have more pics of her as a baby? N/M I found them. See her pointy little nose as a baby? That's how clover looked too.

Look at the older pics and now - she has almost a mane in a way - not so much a dewlap but a thicker band of fur around her neck. Clover has that also. and the fur that is sort of crazy above her nose...... Clover gets that when she's about to molt.

I've never been around the Britania Petites, but I honestly can say that she looks identical to Clover, and we know for sure that Clover is a cottontail.

Look at their back feet, they aren't as pointy and thin as Dora's and Clover's.

Can you tell me where the other people got her? I know I've missed some of this story. I remember that she had a sibling and all that....... I just got lost on it when he died..... I avoid those things. Sorry.

I have some pictures, I'll try to get them all together for you to look at.

Sorry I haven't been more helpful before. It's been kinda goofy around here for a few months...... Summer/4H/horse season always is.

Here's a photo of Clover at about that age and her leg wasn't as bad yet. I think it gradually got worse cause she could hold it under herself and look normal back then.

CloverLegNotBadYet.jpg

Yay!! That's great news! It would have been such a shame if you hadn't gotten to keep her, after all you've been through with her and how attached you've gotten. Plus, we all know she's got such great care and the best home possible with you guys!

I'm SO happy for you!

:jumpforjoy:

And those pics of her are soooo cute too- she really does look like a wild bun! And like Maureen says a deer in the ones where her legs are stretched out! :p

Bo B Bunny-

I am 100% positive that Dora is not a wild bunny. She is a britiania petite mixed with netherland dwarf. The differences between her and the eastern cottontail are subtle, yet profound. Wild cottontails have very little variation from rabbit to rabbit. There are minor differences in most the main categories. Legs too long, different type of hair, colorations around head is too striped and atypical of eastern cottontail colors, body structure is too round (earlier the picture, the less this shows due to near fatal health early in life) and her head may be pointy at the top, but it is very wide at the checks giving her head a triangular look.
And the biggest thing about her that made me 100% sure is that she is absolutely in love with us. She begs at the cage when we walk by and sits nicely for pettings. She snuggles into our lap and tooth purrs. When let loose, she will continuely come back to you to play with you and be petted. A wild cottontail would never exhibit these personality trademarks. even if raised from a newborn in the hands of a human, they will begin to spook and try hard to run and hide as often as possible when attempted to be touched.

Hazel is a Western Cottontail and friendlier than some domestic rabbits, so there are some that are friendly. Clover's hair is long like that, and under her coat is a fluffy blackish/grayish hair that moults out. Honestly, looking at her, actually is like looking at Clover at that age.

It's your rabbit so you would know more I suppose.

Latest posts

Back