Announcement!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dora has the same body type as my Britannia Petite foster. I'm so glad you're getting to keep that precious girl.

Congrats and yay and I'm so happy she's yours! We need to see her entire life documented on film!!!!
:party::bunnyhug::rabbithop:bunny18:group::party0002::party0002::trio:anotherbun:clapping::panic::weee::yahoo:

can you tell i'm excited?

OK, I am doing the Happy Bunny dance here :bunnydance: :D

I am soooo pleased that Dora is at her forever home with you. I think after all you've been through, and how she has bonded with you two, it would have been a shame to let her go. PLUS, we get to see her grow up :);)

Congrats to you, and a huge congrats to Dora for finding such a perfect home.

Jan

She is a dollbaby for sure.

It's wonderful when you bond with a pet like that and I think had you been made to give her to the owner..... you would have mourned her loss!!!

She couldnt have a better home.

Mr. Stee wrote:
Bo B Bunny-

I am 100% positive that Dora is not a wild bunny.
And the biggest thing about her that made me 100% sure is that she is absolutely in love with us. She begs at the cage when we walk by and sits nicely for pettings. She snuggles into our lap and tooth purrs. When let loose, she will continuely come back to you to play with you and be petted. A wild cottontail would never exhibit these personality trademarks. even if raised from a newborn in the hands of a human, they will begin to spook and try hard to run and hide as often as possible when attempted to be touched.

Bo B Bunny wrote
: "Hazel is a Western Cottontail and friendlier than some domestic rabbits, so there are some that are friendly."

Yep, Hazel is one big love-bunny :D. I'm beginning to think that the "wild cottontails always spook and run, they always keep that wild streak" myth is mostly just that, a myth. One friend of ours also has a rescued cottontail, a male, and while not as cuddly and friendly as Hazel, he's not nearly as wild and spooked as one would think. Another friend of us has kept cottontails before, and says the same... They do often stay friendly, especially when raised from before 3 weeks old.
And then there was the story of the Jack Rabbit in Marin County here, and the "My Space" page of another Western Cottontail, and the story of one in Arizona, who sounded as loveable as Hazel, and lived to be 12 years old or so...
Never under-estimate those Cottontails! :)

But, of course, all the ones I mentioned were Western Cottontails, or Jack Rabbits... maybe bunnies are just friendlier out West here :biggrin2:.

It's the beautiful weather! LOL!

Clover was kept wild intentionally.... we thought she'd be released, but she's still kinda sweet and will let us pet her once we "catch" her. She loves that! It's just the whole "catch" issue with her. She takes treats and loves for me to whisper to her. It's funny.

Anyhow, Dora is gorgeous and lucky and loved.... I'm so happy for the "Stees" and would love a little Dora of my own!!! She's so cute!

Thought it has been awfully quiet on Dora's thread for a while... no wonder why.

Congrats on the new addition!!!! I am sure Dora is relieved that she gets to stay with the only people she has ever known. :DShe was meant to be yours all along. :p

Hope she continues to thrive and grow in your care. (Look at those crazy legs...maybe the rest of her will catch up).

:bunnydance:So happy for all of you!!!!

myheart

New pictures! Just like I promised, for once.;)

These were all taken yesterday.

Dora in James' man hands. Look how much she's grown!
100_6362a.jpg

She's sitting still? OMG! Definite Brittania Petite resemblence here.
100_6398a.jpg

Here's a young Brit buck I saw at a show for comparison. Dora's ears are wider but otherwise she looks very similar. She poses like this sometimes while eating food. She's very "light" on her front toes and Brits are supposed to pose more or less on their front toe tips. Maybe German dwarf was actually Polish? In Europe the Polish breed is like our Brittanias.
100_3375a.jpg

The long leg advantage- she doesn't have to even turn her head or body to scratch her ears!
100_6376a.jpg

Dora= kangaroo. She stands more than sits and has amazing balance and back strength. Here she's leaning halfway forward and holding her pose where other rabbits would just go down on all fours.
100_6399a.jpg

Playing with Daddy's feet.
100_6375a.jpg

I fit just right!
100_6393a.jpg

Whatcha doing Daddy?
100_6404a.jpg

She's adorable! but I gotta show you this...... it's why I feel she is a cottontail.... at least she looks just like one :) Not trying to be rude..... it's just she's identical to Clover! (except for Clover's bad leg that is!)

100_6398a.jpg

Oh wow, she's so cute! She does look just like Clover too :shock:. I don't know anything about cottontails but I would have thought they were pictures of the very same rabbit.

That pic where you described: "Dora= kangaroo. She stands more than sits and has amazing balance and back strength. Here she's leaning halfway forward and holding her pose where other rabbits would just go down on all fours." ...that's exactly how Sakura stands when I pet her on the head, she will stand like that for more than ten minutes if I keep petting her.

A lot of bunnies are similar, but it freaked me out! She's so adorable and I love when they sit with their little legs so pretty in front...... so proper!

I know there's a lot of similarities. But if you've ever seen a Brittania Petite in person she has the near-perfect attributes (and attitude!) for it. After talking on the phone with the owner and meeting him- and James' impressions of him- I don't think he has the creativity or intelligence to pull off a lie like giving me a cottontail baby for a domestic. James works with higher-functioning DD (developmentally disabled) adults so he's used to working with people of similar... abilities. Not to rip on the guy but... yeah.

I'll know more if he does bring the daddy bun to the Humane Society. James just glanced at him once when he picked up Dora and Gir and if the bun was in a meatloaf position he wouldn't have noticed the body type or legs. Or if the guy finds those pedigrees which are in some box shoved away somewhere.

No, he said they were "german dwarfs or something (European?)." He was sure about the dwarf part but not much else. He'd have to check the pedigrees to be sure and he can't find them at the moment. They were bought from a show breeder and had been to shows but weren't great, hence being sold as pets. I'm thinking German is actually Polish which is what Europeans call their rabbits that look like our Brittania Petites.

They were living in Minnesota at the time so it's not a local breeder I could look up and he doesn't think the pedigrees have been unpacked from whatever box they were in when they moved here. :?

Gotcha!

Regardless..... she's adorable and I am glad she's with you and doing so well.

When Clover was a bit underweight, we added a tiny (and I mean TINY!) amount of banana baby food to her dinner. She picked up really well and it wasn't hard on her system (she seems to have a cast iron tummy).... maybe it would help Dora? Bo gains weight looking at a banana.

I wouldn't try that with her. She's had multiple problems with severe intestinal upsets. She's actually both growing and filling out really well now that she's finally healthy and she eats like a pig. I'm feeding her the Heinhold Show pellets which have ground sunflower seeds and stuff for higher fat content. I might start adding a tiny bit of parsley in another week or two if she doesn't have issues. But no carbs, not for a long time. Not even oats.

Oh gosh! My brain is missing or something..... I knew she had issues. I sort of followed that thread for a time..... I sort of lost it when you lost her little sibling. I have had to distance myself from those things as much as I can. I got really depressed last year when we had so many losses..... crazy I know.

Anyhow, nope I wouldn't give her anything weird like that either.....

Ignore my stupidity! Just give her a kiss for me :)

Latest posts

Back