And... we are nesting.. again!! :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhoffman

Reaction score
Well, Bubbles has started nesting again. So this time, i decided to put the nest box in now. I know we are still 5 days away from her due date.. but I dont want to end up with dead kits again like last time. This time, I used a different box. She woud not go into the last one. I used a little plastic basket this time. I lined it with a small crocheted blanket and put a wack load of straw in it. I am in the middle of trying to up load a few pics to show you what I used. Hopefully this will be good enough this time. I just want to make sure the kits survive. ALso gonna try to post a few pics of my doe and buck. Cant wait until next week!

Bubbles and her nest box
photo6.jpg

She wants to see what I am doing...
photo7.jpg

Speckles the father, sorry its a bit blurry

photo8.jpg

I would have put some wood chips in the base of the nest box and then added hay on top. I had a rabbit that would start to make her nest 2 weeks in advance. She was the best rabbit ever. The would even make a rood to the nest box. I miss my Tiger SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. (my dogs killed her earlier this year right before her 5th bday.)

You know, I have never actually weighed her before. But If I had to take a guess I would say about 5 lbs. Give or take a pound. I will probably be buying a scale in the next week or so, so I will know for sure.

The lady whom I got her and her sister from, told me that they were mini rex. But I really have not seen any standard rex rabbits before.

Good luck!

I guess my only concern would be to watch and make sure that no kits get a foot through the holes in the crochet material and twist it or something. It looks like there is straw on top of it though, I think I am just a little too paranoid! :)

Best of luck to you and your doe!

Helpful tip: don't feed her 24-48 hrs. prior to kindling and gradually increase total feed intake til 5-7 days after kindling. it will help prevent "Young Doe Death Syndrome" which is caused by enerotoxemia or mastitis.

bunnychild wrote:
Helpful tip: don't feed her 24-48 hrs. prior to kindling and gradually increase total feed intake til 5-7 days after kindling. it will help prevent "Young Doe Death Syndrome" which is caused by enerotoxemia or mastitis.

Hmm.. But what happens if she is late kindling?? I would be concerned that she gets way too hungry? She is due on Wednesday, but if a does pregnancy can last between 30 and 35 days.. then this is a large time frame to be not giving her food. Unless I am understanding this wrong.

I always keep food in front of my does when they are about to give birth. They normally stop eating before hand, but sometimes do not. I have never had a problem. Rabbits know what to do.

I have also had 1 rabbit that would always give birth 2 weeks late. She would show no signs that she was pregnant and then one day, a month and a half after she was breed, there would be babies on the wire.

I wouldnt stop her food. If she wants to stop eating on her own thats fine.. but I personally wouldnt stop her food. She's about to give birth! Have you been giving her Calfmanna? I think its an awesome supplement for preggo/nursing does. I think of it as a pre-natal, like the ones we took when preggo! :)

Oreo ate the whole way thru, she didnt stop eating at all. Stuffed her face full of Spring Mix the night of her kindling.

I would be really Leary about that blanket. With all those little hole not only could a foot get stuck but even a head. You would be surprised how much they burrow in that box. Just to be safe I would really remove the blanket. If you feel the need for a blanket use a solid one where all you have to worry about is momma eating it and the fabric causing a problem for her. I have had kits get stuck in the weirdest places, especially newborns. Just my opinion though.

We keep food with our does at all times from kindling on. We never withhold food and have not had a problem.

Good luck! Looking forward to lots of pictures of baby buns soon!

Good luck! I would keep the food in the cage for her, instincts will tell her whether she should eat or not... Send pics when the babies come! :pray:

I ended removng the blanket the other day after being reminded that little feet can get stuck in the holes. I wont be with holding food either. I dont feel right about it. But it may work for others. Only a couple more days and we will hopefully have little bunnies :)

Good luck! :)

I've never removed food for any of my does and I've never had a problem. Some does will stuff their faces 5 minutes before kindling while others definitely stop eating long before they kindle. It all depends on the doe.

This is according to Mercks vet manual:
"Enterotoxemia is an explosive diarrheal disease, primarily of rabbits 4–8 wk old. It occasionally affects adults and junior stock. Signs are lethargy, rough coat, a perineal area covered with greenish brown fecal material, and death within 48 hr. "
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/exo...acterial_and_mycotic_diseases_of_rabbits.html

Never have I heard of a pregnant doe dying from enterotoxemia because the caregiver didn't withhold food. Withholding food from a rabbits GI system can become very bad. A rabbit is much like a horse as in the GI tract should always be moving and filled to keep the gut happy. A doe won't stop eating fully ever unless there is something wrong. The only thing I have heard of a pregnant doe dying from is hypocalcemia and fasting them would only make the problem worse. I wouldn't suggest to anyone to remove a does food. The nutritional requirements for a gestating and lactating animal are very high and they need all they can get to support themselves and the babies they are carrying.

Oh and this is about mastitis which is a whole separate thing and has nothing to do with the feed (this is from the same link)
"Mastitis is common in commercial rabbitries and is occasionally seen in smaller units. Poor sanitation enhances spread throughout the rabbitry. Mastitis affects lactating does and may progress to a septicemia that rapidly kills the doe. "

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back