Amy's cats, rabbits, etc!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marlin is just too fluffy! He's getting some hair chopped off tomorrow - especially around his eyes because when his eyes leak, he gets crusty mats :(. So, I need to wet those up tomorrow with a damp cloth and try to get those mats out of there. Bunny skin is so delicate, or I'd just try to comb it out.

The cake was delicious....it was 2 mini chocolate cupcakes and the rest was buttercream frosting. The ratties and I shared it :D.

Congrats on the grooming school! Your ratty cage is drool worthy, so organized and beautiful. My boys would have that destroyed within 24 hours... tops. Including bowls tipped over, lol. I'm envious! Molly and Marlin would make a great couple, fingers crossed it works out for them. Love the cake, yum!

Awesome rat cage! I always thought that it looks like a lot of fun to set up their cages with all the cool hammocks and such.

Your bunnies are adorable! Good luck with bonding! All the trouble will be worth it in the end if you can get them bonded, believe me!

Awww but I love his long hair.
Hey Amy when you get the chance, I need a FN fleece liner and that house thingy. I am not going to have money for a couple weeks..(the 19th of March) if you can.

Erika (not Amber, LOL!) *** Thanks for the rat cage compliment! The boys are loving being back in the CN. I don't think they are too happy about being in the living room, though, as it is noisier out here then in the bunny room (which is right off the living room). I am super lucky that my boys don't really chew their hammies...they will only do so if I leave them in too long (procrastinate cleaning day) or if they are too small. I made the mistake of making a smaller pocket hammie and that got shredded up really quick - the boys are so bonded (all brothers) and always sleep in the same hammies together...I guess they need their stretching room :D.

Chelle *** It is really a ton of fun to decorate the rat cage, it makes cleaning day not so bad. When I had 10 ratties quite a few months ago, then it wasn't fun at all - that many rats just isn't easily manageable for me...I much like having only 4 boys. I think once I have rats again (way into the future), then I will limit myself to 2-3 neutered boys...definitely no more then 4.

Myia *** I can definitely do a trade with you still (toys for liners/cubes). I just need to wait and see because I don't have black fleece and now that I am jobless due to starting grooming school on Monday, I need to see when we will be able to purchase enough black fleece (thats what you wanted, right?) - or you can send payment for the liner material and we can trade with the cubes. Just let me know when you are ready :).

--------------------------

I have some disappointing news :(....the rat/mouse breeder in San Diego isn't the type of breeder for mice that I thought she was. I knew she didn't keep tract of her mouse lineage, but I suspect she breeds pet store lines into her mice. I do know some mouse breeders do that, but there are a select few out there who do not do that. So now it is pretty much go to the local mom & pop pet store who breeds feeder mice in-store, still go to the rat/mouse breeder, or go to Petco for a mouse. There are obviously pluses and minuses to each of those options...but we will see what happens.

Today I was soooo bored and was really excited to get Dexter....(that will be my male mouses name - named after the SHOWTIME show "Dexter")....that I decided to sew up some hammies for when I get him. He will be housed in a 10gal. tank and I decided his first cage theme will be "outer space" :biggrin2:. The star shaped bed in the back right is my original design from when I used to make and sell rat hammocks online. Just as a size scale, I think the little cube is 4" long x 3" wide ;).

4391012175_77068f6146.jpg

We need to talk today about measurements! Call!

You made all those? That's awesome! I've made a few things from fleece, blankets for the dog and rabbits and cage liners for the rabbits, easy stuff like that, but those things (sorry don't know what to call them) you made are awesome!

Someday I want to get sugar gliders, and I think one of the funniest parts will be making up their cage themes and setting them up with all kinds of cool fleece hides and hammocks and toys. Too bad that probably won't be for a long time.

Sorry to hear that the mouse breeder wasn't the type you thought she was.

Alicia *** I will call you a little later today :).

Helen *** Thank you for the compliments :D! I used to make and sell hammocks/beds for rats/ferrets/mice/etc, but I have since stopped selling and sold off my fabric collection of over 65 different fabric choices. I didn't want the the pressure of orders while in pet grooming school (which starts Monday!). BUT....if you ever want some resting pads for bunnies, then do let me know! They are very easy to make.

Chelle *** Thanks :biggrin2:! Yeah, definitely one of the funnest things about small critter is the stuff you can make then and decorating their cages. Today I am going to go and get colored popsicle sticks to make some houses for my mouse! It just really stinks about the breeder. I didn't want to have to go and give Petco my money, but I also don't want to support the breeder by basically letting her know its okay to be breeding pet store mice - but at the same time her mice will be handled from birth and be hand tame, where as I will need to tame a Petco mouse. But we shall see what happens!

I will explain what the beds are....

Star Dome (my original design)...
4391014743_af1db6c0f3_m.jpg

Double Decker....
4391014097_241e0fdc62_m.jpg

Bunkbed....
4391781424_92dc03e863_m.jpg

Cube....
4391782102_603348d696_m.jpg

I really want to figure out how to make those for my guinea pigs! Especially the cubes.

Grace *** I can get you a tutorial on making the cubes - I just need to find it ;).

------------------

On a side note...I posted an ad on CL asking if anyone was a "feeder breeder" and would be willing to let 1 single male mouse go to a pet home, and I had someone reply saying they always have litters, all colors & ages too. Ya know...as much I don't like people who breed animals for food because it is sad and I love the little animals.....I feel better about taking a FREE mouse from a "feeder breeder" rather then buying one from a pet store or a breeder who breeds in pet store mice. By getting a free mouse, I am not supporting anything, but rather saving a little guy :biggrin2:.

The lady who emailed me has a few litters right now. I told Ryan about it and he thinks its a good idea to just get one from her. Then he was like "Uhhh...so how soon are you thinking about getting one?" in a "you better not be planning to get one anytime soon" tone :rollseyes.

Ugh I have been so busy the past 2 days with grooming school that I haven't even really thought about getting my mouse. I am soooo pooped when I get home that all I do is feed the animals and spend a little time "escaping" online and then head to bed :(.

Sorry school has been wearing you out. Hopefully you get use to it soon.

If you ever groom a papillon you haaave to post about it! haha I <3 papillons.

Its getting a bit easier, but its still tough work and I bet it will always be....especially when I start getting older. No wonder lots of groomers have issues with their bodies! Its tough on my 21 year old body, LOL.

My friend has a Papillion! I haven't really seen them a lot in my area, but I will let you know if I do happen to see one in the shop :D. I *think* there might have been one in today, but he was wet in the tub waiting for conditioner to soak in, so I couldn't really tell. Do they come in tri color or just brown/white?

Do they come in tri color or just brown/white?

They come in tri color. I have a tri color papillon :) I looves him to death - pappys are my favorite breed ever. My doggy isn't a breed standard pap though, so I don't know if most people recognize that he's a papillon. He's purebred, and came from an amazing breeder, but he is a "reject" as far as being a show dog would be concerned, so we got him on a pet contract.

Well...I have been pretty busy lately! Grooming school is so much fun and a ton of work, I've been spending more time with the rats lately, and the bunnies are very demanding too LOL! My husband and I have also realized that we need to be doing things together more, so that has been really nice. I've been taking Sammy (our doggie) to school with me and he has been LOVING it because he usually has to stay in his kennel all day because we *thought* he would tear up the house.....well, I left him out of his kennel all day for 7 hours yesterday and he didn't potty inside or tear anything up!! I'm proud of my doggie :D.

Soooo....you guys all know that I was waiting to get a male mouse until my 4 rattie brothers passed away, right? Well, I got a little boy mouse today on impulse. Well, I mean its not like I didn't already have his tank set up and everything purchased for him....but the way I got him today was very impulse-worthy! Let me explain....

My husband is at the tattoo shop today for 7 hours, so I decided to get out of the house and enjoy this really nice day. I went and got coffee...went to PetSmart to get kitty litter & see if there was any rabbits/rats/etc at the Humane Society's adoption center inside of PetSmart because when there is, I socialze them and bring them toys...then I decided to stop into Petco to see about getting more kitty litter because I had a 10% off coupon to use up soon. Of course I HAD to look at the mice & rats and was definitely dead set on not getting a mouse.....until an employee came up with a dirty looking guy. He wanted "10 mice & the bigger, the better!". I was already looking at the male mice at that point and the employee was taking big female mice out of the tanks...so I said "phew", so I wouldn't be tempted. Then she opened up the male tank and started grabbing them out by their tails. One bit her and she definitely deserved it!

Then I did the dumbest thing ever when she lifted up the igloo and I saw an adorable chinchilla colored male mouse...I told her "WAIT! I want the grey one as a pet". She grabbed up a black and white male by mistake and dropped him into my hands. He was very small and friendly...crawled up into my neck. UGH.....damnit....I was trapped. I knew if I put him back into her hands she might put him into the container with the other 10 mixed sex mice...to end up as snake food.

So....I paid for him and left
Undecided.gif
. My husband was really the one who was telling me not to get a mouse until the rats passed, so I knew he might be angry. I texted him and told him "Uhm...I might have just bought a mouse on impulse, but he was probably going to be someone's dinner tonight.". He texted back saying "I don't care...I'm not mad. love you"
EarWiggle.gif

Sooooooo...little baby (he's pretty small and definitely a "he") Dexter and I are sitting here in the living room! He's in his 10gal. tank running on his wheel and having a blast walking through his tank. He is a bit sneezy, but it could possibly be "happy/new home sneezes" - I'll definitely watch him carefully with those though. He's bright eyed, coat looks good, and really active. I'm a tad bit mad at myself for getting him "so soon" and from Petco....but whatever because he's safe with me now. I'm just glad I had the tank all ready to go for the past few weeks!

4448043509_8f4d21099e.jpg

4448819968_1342281f0a.jpg

4448821230_ce4dab99c7.jpg

4448047187_673411124b.jpg

4448826154_b6252d1277.jpg

4448823712_e2e2bfc111.jpg

4448825106_6e3573e835.jpg

I have heard male mice really stink...and it's true! BUT...I can't say that 4 girl mice wouldn't stink any less then him. I already can't wait for a few days to go by, so I can start handling him.

Oh Amy congrats!
What a cute little mousey! He made me smile :) Now I want a mouse lol! I love his tank, so pretty! :) His name suits him. He looks like an ickle baby :) Do you know what age he is?

Thanks, Grace! I am not sure how old he is...maybe 8 weeks or so? I am going to see if anyone on the mouse forums can take a shot at his age. From what I could see, he was the smallest in the tank...but I was only looking at the colored mice, not the PEWs. Right now Dex is sleeping in his little cube and has been for a while. I want to hold him sooo bad!!

Latest posts

Back