Ample amounts of water available but still has amber colored urine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini_Rex

Reaction score
Vet appointment tomorrow.

First sign of amber urine was two nights ago when I removed my bun's litter box I found amber colored urine behind it. My kids said they witnessed Rocket jump from his litter box into the side of the cage bars across from it. I'm unsure why he did that unless I need to re instruct my kids that they cannot be scaring him.

This morning I found amber colored urine on the bottom of the cage. There was more when I removed the black house in there and it was lined against the wall dried up and sticky. Rocket has a cat-bowl sized of water offered to him. I have been noticing he's drinking slightly less water. Vet appointment at 2 pm tomorrow. Should I try to make the appointment for today?

Attachments

• 20230626_062941.jpg
    20230626_062941.jpg
    945.8 KB · Views: 0
Rabbit pee can vary from almost clear to pretty brown, including the dreaded red Pee Of Horror. It also can darken considerable after some time.

Imho colour is mostly determined by what they eat, small changes can have an effect. I would consider amber pee rather normal, mine eat a lot of different forage and their pee usually is way darker, and darkens to dark brown after some time.

Orange-colored urine is within the normal color spectrum for rabbit urine and is not necessarily associated w/ how hydrated they are. Orange colored urine can be a natural by-product of their diet or medication they are on and is not an instant cause of concern.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Urine
If your rabbit hasn't seen a vet in a while, it doesn't hurt to keep the appointment just for a general wellness check-up and to speak w/ the vet in case you have any concerns or want to verify your rabbit care is appropriate. For just orange-colored urine though (and no other changes/concerns), you do not need a vet visit, since orange urine is in the norm.

Orange-colored urine is within the normal color spectrum for rabbit urine and is not necessarily associated w/ how hydrated they are. Orange colored urine can be a natural by-product of their diet or medication they are on and is not an instant cause of concern.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Urine
If your rabbit hasn't seen a vet in a while, it doesn't hurt to keep the appointment just for a general wellness check-up and to speak w/ the vet in case you have any concerns or want to verify your rabbit care is appropriate. For just orange-colored urine though (and no other changes/concerns), you do not need a vet visit, since orange urine is in the norm.
I don't think he's ever been vetted. (Bday april 24 this year and I'll have him for 1 week tomorrow).

He came from a breeder (i just found out about adopting) and when I told the breeder his vet appointment was next week (tomorrow now), the breeder was shocked and said "I don't think you can neuter a bun that soon" .... this appointment is for a vet check up... not a neuter lol. I made the appointment 2 hours before I picked up Rocket and paid the breeder. He didn't even have a name yet lol.

Last edited:
If you are worried about his water intake, and your Bun doesn't seem to be drinking from his bowl, I would suggest that you run his greens under some water, and give them to your Bun still wet with water, this helps their water intake. Also how much greens you give your Bun can change how much they drink out of their water bowl, as greens can hold a lot of water, and some Buns can get the hydration they need, just from the greens, or grass. But if you are a bit worried about the water, just run the greens underwater, and give them wet.

If you are worried about his water intake, and your Bun doesn't seem to be drinking from his bowl, I would suggest that you run his greens under some water, and give them to your Bun still wet with water, this helps their water intake. Also how much greens you give your Bun can change how much they drink out of their water bowl, as greens can hold a lot of water, and some Buns can get the hydration they need, just from the greens, or grass. But if you are a bit worried about the water, just run the greens underwater, and give them wet.
He doesn't take greens right now. That was one of my questions for the vet appointment tomorrow. He drinks. Just got scared by the color. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back