Alternatives to tape

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirBunny

Reaction score
Hello,

my 10 month old netherland dwarf has BAD problem of chewing the carpet. I have tried to divert this behavior with many suggestions, providing him with ample newspaper to rip up, limitless hay, grass mats, a box which I turned into a maze stuffed with newspaper. But he still loves to pull up the carpet.

The carpet in my house was already in very poor condition when I moved in, with random bald spots in the carpet, so hopefully the landlord will not notice the additional damage by bun has wrought.

The only remedy I have found is to tape pieces of cardboard on places where he likes to rip up, usually spots that were already peeling and coming apart. I will lightly spray an area with vinegar, which will ward him off for a while.

But the point of this thread, is that he will still try to tear at those places I where I have put down cardboard, but there have been several instances where he runs back into my room and I see he has tape on his face or stuck to his mouth, which can be rather difficult to remove sometimes (I wish I could tell him to stay still because I am just trying to help him!).

I am nervous that one day I will be at work or in class and he will somehow get tape over his mouth and suffocate or injure himself. Are there any alternatives to taping down these pieces of cardboard, to keep him away from chewing carpet?

I suppose the last option would be to cover every square inch of his living area (my entire bedroom, the entire hallway) with rugs.

Buns are fun aren't they ;)

Is he neutered? Intact rabbits can be excessive with destructive chewing.

Depending on how many areas or how much of the carpet needs to be covered, you could put down squares of ceramic tiles over the damaged areas just to keep him from accessing those edges. Then you wouldn't need tape. Alternatively (and perhaps an easier option) would be to cover the entire carpet with rolled linoleum.

Latest posts

Back