Alternative to paper bedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SummerAutumn

Reaction score
I have 2 rabbits at home and they produce so much waste that paper bedding is getting expensive. What other alternatives are there that is cheaper?

Well, wood stove pellets are a great option, work really, really well with a top layer of hay. They are not as cheap anymore over here as they were a year ago, more than doubled in price to 10€ per 15kg. With 2 10lbs house bunnies I use up appr. 3-4 bags per year.

Wood pellets work fantastic for odor control. They can be wood stove pellets or wood pellets made for horse bedding. In the US, a 40lb bag costs about $7. One bag would last over 2 months for 2 rabbits. Top with hay.
1672253422409.jpeg

Wood pellets work fantastic for odor control. They can be wood stove pellets or wood pellets made for horse bedding. In the US, a 40lb bag costs about $7. One bag would last over 2 months for 2 rabbits. Top with hay.
View attachment 63338
Do you have any idea where I could get wood pellets? I usually buy my hay from a farm. Will they have wood pellets too?

The wood pellets will absorb their pee too?
Absolutely -- better than paper bedding!

I use Blue Eyes' litterbox setup, only I put a thin layer of paper bedding (and hay) on top of the wood pellets due to my doe's sore hocks.

I found something like this, it says hardwood pellets, will this work?

Attachments

• Untitled5.png
    Untitled5.png
    176.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back