Age related questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyAmi

Ami
Reaction score
1.) I have a rescue bunny and I'm not positive how old he is. Last month I took him to the vet, and the vet said to bring him back in 2 months to get neutered. So how old does that make him? >.> I forgot to ask the vet when I was there...

2.) Lucky is (I think) a mixed bunny and he is pretty young right now. I'm curious as to how big he will be when he is an adult, but it's hard for me to tell without being able to pin down his breed. How long does it take a bunny to grow to their full adult weight?

Do you have photos of your bunny? Was the two months due to scheduling or due to him being too young? If he was too young it really depends on your vets protocol for surgery with rabbits. Most will do surgery by 6 months of age so assuming that maybe he is four months?

How much did your bunny weigh? Small breeds may stop growing around 6 mos and large breeds can take over a year

I think it was 2 months because he was still too young.

I'm not sure what breed he is... I've been able to narrow it down to possibly a flemish mix baby. Still not 100% positive on that but the body and ear type seem like that's what he might be.

Here is recent picture of him with my hand on him so you can have that as a gauge. Is that big, small or just right for about 4 months old?

IMG_7763.JPG

Do you know this bunny's weight? from photo, looks maybe 2 lbs???? He looks small for four months even for average sized rabbit breeds.
Maybe one of the breeders can offer an opinion here.

I would not guess this rabbit to be 4 months of age if it were a Flemish. A 7 week old Flemish can weigh over 4 lbs.

Well, I honestly don't know about his breed. The vet didn't recognize it either. And the age is a big ? too. He could be younger... I have no idea. He just showed up out of the blue one day.

As for the weight, I'm not sure yet. He feels about 3 ish lbs, maybe? He wasn't weighed at the vet, and I don't have a scale at home yet. I was planning to go find one this weekend that will work for him. That way I can get some numbers and try to figure it out from there...

Here is another picture of him. Maybe someone can recognize what breed(s?) he might be.

IMG_7812.JPG

He was smaller when you first found him right? So he was still a baby. If you have pictures of him from then, we might be able to give you a better idea of his age.

yes, he was smaller when I found him. When I first found him, I could hold him with one hand and he was fully supported. Now I have to hold him with both hands, in the typical hold (one hand on chest one hand under back legs / butt). I found him early July, the 12th I believe. Here are the first 3 pictures I took of him. One is when I found him in my garden, the bucket one is what I used to bring him in the house after I picked him out of the garden. The one where he is in my hand is the first picture I have after he was brought in the house.

And after my last post (where I said Lucky might be about 3 pounds), I went and left Lucky up to get a better idea of his weight in my hand. I think he might be closer to 4 to 5 pounds, maybe...?

First.jpg

IMG_7176.jpg

IMG_7177.jpg

Our vet says four months for a neuter. Depending on breed they can be full grown at 6 months and the larger breeds will take a year. It's impossible to tell what the lineage of a mix might be. We rescued what we were told was an English Spot mix, but at one year she was 20 pounds and turned out to be a pure Checkered Giant and was bigger than any Flemish we'd had. Our crystal ball was in the shop that week, but, she just kept growing till we figured she wasn't a Spot.

Here are a few more photos of him with objects that you can use as a reference for sizes. These pictures have been since he was adopted and probably all from Aug.

IMG_7433.jpg

IMG_7444.jpg

IMG_7446.jpg

IMG_7484.jpg

IMG_7500.jpg

Our vet says four months for a neuter. Depending on breed they can be full grown at 6 months and the larger breeds will take a year. It's impossible to tell what the lineage of a mix might be. We rescued what we were told was an English Spot mix, but at one year she was 20 pounds and turned out to be a pure Checkered Giant and was bigger than any Flemish we'd had. Our crystal ball was in the shop that week, but, she just kept growing till we figured she wasn't a Spot.

XD haha so, basically just wait and see how big he gets?

And honestly, I don't even know for sure he is a HE. When I first found him, I took him to the vet the next day. The vet, who said he had bred rabbits for a long time when he was younger, had a very hard time being able to tell if it was a girl or a boy when he checked down there. He gave a "maybe boy." as his final answer.

I would say that when you found him he was about 5-6 weeks old. So that would make him about 11 weeks old now, or 2 1/2 months. In his current pictures, I agree that he does look to be about 4 lbs. At 2 months old that is still quite big. Just as perspective, my 7.5 lb full grown rabbit was probably around no more than 2-3 lbs at that age. So your bun will likely be close to 10 lbs full grown, though could be bigger. Which would match if he was a flemish giant mix. He probably won't be as big as a full flemish, but will still be quite big as rabbits go.

Small to medium size rabbits are usually fully mature around 6 months, though do continue to grow and fill out a bit more in the next few months. Large breed rabbits like flemish, take about a year plus to fully mature.

So yeah, you do need to wait at least 2 months and for his testicles to descend, before you could get him neutered, if that is what you plan to do. Though if he is a flemish mix, some vets like to wait a bit longer to neuter for large breed rabbits. Usually around 8 months old. Neutering isn't a necessity though, if you don't plan on having other rabbits and he doesn't start displaying hormonal behaviors like humping and spraying. If 'he' turns out to be a girl though, I would suggest a spay, as uterine cancer is an issue for pet rabbits especially.

It can be very difficult to sex young rabbits, even for very experienced rabbit people. Sometimes you just have to wait til they mature enough for the 'plums' to drop(in the case of boys). Once that happens they are old enough to get neutered.

Do keep us updated on 'his' growth. I'd be very interested to see how big he gets.

Ah, ok! Thanks for the help. Awww... only about 2 monthsish (maybe). How cute! <3 I thought he was older originally, but I do think he is a little younger as well after looking up some age / weight numbers.

I do plan on getting him neutered, when he is old enough (and if it's a she I would get her spayed as well). His "plums" have def. not dropped yet, assuming it is a boy. When Lucky goes back to the vet, he was going to get checked again to see for sure if it's a boy or girl, and then get either neutered or spayed.

I will keep you updated when I get an official weight for him and as he grows.

I believe at around 14 weeks of age, Bandit's weight was just under half of his adult weight. As in, at 14 weeks he weighed about 1.2kg, and as a fully grown adult, he now weighs 3.3kg (7.2 pounds). So I would estimate about 2 and a half times your bunny's weight at 12 weeks.

Latest posts

Back