Advise/Help re new bun & Delilah

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envyme

Reaction score
Hi,

So, I will try to keep this short...I adopted a male baby from a rescue. He is about 3 months old and WILL be fixed in a weekor so. Delilah is our current bun. She is fixed. I had Delilah and the new bun meet in the resues home where the lady has all of the buns. Anyways, they seemed to do really well together. Even when I left them for the day and returned they were getting along pretty well. No chasing or any of that. Now FF. I took the new baby homeand we had Delilah sleep outside the cage and the boy sleep in the cage (just temporary of course). I have had the nen bun for aboutu 6 days now. Everything went ok and they can spend a all day together. At first Delilah would hump him (he did not seem affected by it). I would letthem do that for 5 sec then stop it.She finally got over that and stopped...then he started doing that to Delilah and she was FREAKED! She did not like it at all. Now he has stopped that.

The issue is this:

The new boy is always chasing Delilah in circles and she gets annoyed. I know she is annoyed...she runs away and it is this big circle of him chasing her. Of couse I have them stop when I am in the room BUT I work a full time job and get home at 6 pm. I do not know what I should do. Should I cage him in the room while I am gone and when I get home let him out with her supervised so that I can stop the behavior?

I do not want Delilah to feel tortured. She doesn't try to hurt him or even nip at him. It is basically they could be best of friends if he would CALM DOWN and just chill!

Please help :)

XOXO :bunnydance:

Is she fixed? If not they should be seperated.

I would get him neutered, if you can afford it. I think circling and chasing may be a dominiant thing Or hormones. I think as long as he's not really not hurting her, they should be ok together. Or put their cages close to each other so they can bond. (Til you trust them fully together.)

Once they figure out who the dominant one is, the humping should slow down. Their new to each other. Plus his hormones maybe going crazy.

:)April

Yes, absoultely Delilah is fixed. He will be fixed in a week or so. :) Yeah, maybe they are just figuring each other out and he is hormonal so hopefully he will slow down on the chasing.

The issue here really is not the humping bc they seldom do that now. The issue is him (new one) chasing her around the room. I do not want the behavior to continue.

:wave:

I would stop the chasing if you can. I did when I first re-bonded my buns. It's just a dominant thing, I think.

They sound like their fine together so far. Once you put them together I wouldn't seperate them again. :biggrin2:

He's probably chasing her because he's hormonal and wants to mate with her! You can keep them together when you're home, but I would cage them separately when you're gone until he's neutered. She might eventually turn around and attack him to get him to stop chasing and you don't want that to happen when you're not around.

Do you think he is too young to be fixed at about 3 months old? He is about 2.5 lbs and my vet had a look at him for an exam and said he would be ok to be fixed now. I have an appt for him to be fixed Monday. Any thoughts?

I think my bunnies were 3 or 4 months when they were fixed. If your vet is an experienced rabbit vet, he should know what he's doing. :)

Latest posts

Back