Advice for proper feeding and feed transition

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaoticness

Reaction score
Hello! So the breeder I got my bun from gave me a large baggie of pellets and told me to feed him that for a week then intergrade his new feed in with it. She said it was a Purina pellet and there were some oats mixed in with it(but not a lot). The food I have is Oxbow Garden Select Young Rabbit.
How would I go about transitioning him to his new feed when it's time? Just do a small ratio at a time and slowly take it away? What would I do with the possible left over pellets he has if I don't go through the entire bag that was given to me?
How much should he be given a day? I've read that he would need 2oz(weight) of pellets daily and I am just wondering if that is correct. I want to make sure I do everything right and no waste food or leave him without food overnight.

To transition to the new food, mix 1 part of the new with 3 parts of the old. Feed that for several days. Then mix equal parts of each type for a few days. After that, use 3 parts new to 1 part old. By then, bunny will have been getting used to the new pellet. Several days of that last mixture will make switching solely to the new brand an easy transition.

How many pellets your rabbit should get depends on his age. If he's under 6 months of age, then the amount doesn't need to be limited. He's still growing and needs the extra nutrients. The only exception to this I'll explain in a moment.

Most important is that he is given plenty of hay. Any type of grass (not legume) hay -- like timothy or orchard grass. He should have loads of easily accessible hay available 24/7. As a general guide, you'll want to see him eating about his body size in hay every day. If he is not eating that much, then you may need to cut back somewhat on the amount of pellets. Some rabbits will favor the pellets and choose the pellets over the hay. If this happens, then the amount of pellets will need to be limited (this is the exception I mentioned).

If you don't go through the entire bag of the old pellets, that's fine. Don't keep feeding the old stuff once he's transitioned to the new. You can either throw it away or (depending on where you live) toss it out for the wild rabbits.

To transition to the new food, mix 1 part of the new with 3 parts of the old. Feed that for several days. Then mix equal parts of each type for a few days. After that, use 3 parts new to 1 part old. By then, bunny will have been getting used to the new pellet. Several days of that last mixture will make switching solely to the new brand an easy transition.

How many pellets your rabbit should get depends on his age. If he's under 6 months of age, then the amount doesn't need to be limited. He's still growing and needs the extra nutrients. The only exception to this I'll explain in a moment.

Most important is that he is given plenty of hay. Any type of grass (not legume) hay -- like timothy or orchard grass. He should have loads of easily accessible hay available 24/7. As a general guide, you'll want to see him eating about his body size in hay every day. If he is not eating that much, then you may need to cut back somewhat on the amount of pellets. Some rabbits will favor the pellets and choose the pellets over the hay. If this happens, then the amount of pellets will need to be limited (this is the exception I mentioned).

If you don't go through the entire bag of the old pellets, that's fine. Don't keep feeding the old stuff once he's transitioned to the new. You can either throw it away or (depending on where you live) toss it out for the wild rabbits.
Thank you I appreciate it all

Latest posts

Back