Advice Bonding Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari-

Reaction score
1CCD0161-0A29-4A18-8ABE-A92183F3585A.png
I have a 6 year old neutered male holland lop, and yesterday I picked up a 4 year old female holland(unspayed)- we were told she wasn’t territorial like most does, so that was a big plus. He’s been in need of a companion for years. As recommended from reading, I put them together in the car ride. He was in shock when I set her down- he froze for about 5 minutes straight, then began to move. They ignored each other for awhile, but then the female shoved her head under his chin to kind of hide from the stress of the car ride. Now my rabbit loves car rides, he just lays down on my lap in the sun, or on the ground, so he the only thing he had to focus on was another rabbit who was scared to death. Very soon, he was going to groom her, but would freeze, unsure if he should. We decided to go around running some errands and by the time we got home she was stretched out on her side huddled against him(photo above) and he was grooming her. During the ride(4 hours total) he also began to lay down partially on top of her and she really didn’t care. I assumed this was an establishment of social status. When we got home, he ran off before I could put him away, so I put her in the divided dog crate I had set up for them. Later on, I had the door open and was trying to interact with her(no success), when my rabbit, Gavroche, ran over, looked inside, and went in with her. They both just sniffed each other’s noses for a bit, then he started mounting her. She didn’t react at all. After that, when he couldn’t get to her he started stomping his feet. I’m not sure what to think a this point/how to proceed, as there is no hostility on either sides. But the female is so scared of the new situation that she’s barely eaten and hasn’t really moved from her litter box. I haven’t seen her try grooming him either. This morning I opened the door and Gavroche shot out and ran some laps around the house, then came back only to find the door closed. He started making sounds until she would look at him, then stick his nose through the bars. She would put her nose to his as well, and was starting to go to the door when he was there, but would huddle into the corner again. I see she is pretty afraid of all the new humans and sounds, though interested in Gavroche. I thought of waiting until she’s comfortable enough to lay down, eat, and just be herself before going too far with things. But then I’m not sure if I should do neutral territory over the course of weeks, or move quicker since they seem to really like each other.

I would get her spayed because females have a high chance of getting cancer by age 2. Spaying will also help with bonding, behavior issues, and litter box habits. If you get her spayed you will need to have the separate for 1 month for her to recover. I would separate them for 2 weeks (if you don't spay her), and then start the bonding process over. Here is a link and video on bonding: https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

I would get her spayed because females have a high chance of getting cancer by age 2. Spaying will also help with bonding, behavior issues, and litter box habits. If you get her spayed you will need to have the separate for 1 month for her to recover. I would separate them for 2 weeks (if you don't spay her), and then start the bonding process over. Here is a link and video on bonding

the thing is she’s already 4 years old, and she isn’t aggressive about her space like most females. My last rabbit was a very territorial female. I’ve read and been told by vets that they never usually operate on female rabbits over 3 years old, as the procedure has a high chance of death. She is very friendly towards my rabbit and was cuddling with him and interacts with him well.

the thing is she’s already 4 years old, and she isn’t aggressive about her space like most females. My last rabbit was a very territorial female. I’ve read and been told by vets that they never usually operate on female rabbits over 3 years old, as the procedure has a high chance of death. She is very friendly towards my rabbit and was cuddling with him and interacts with him well.
Rabbits over 6 have a high chance of death when being spayed, but not 3 or 4. If she is not eating, or moving really I would start over the bonding process after 2 weeks of them being separated. She needs time to get settled in, and not feel like an outsider.

If they are already showing positive signs, stick with it. Don't separate them. Monitor them together and see how they do. There are bonds that go very smoothly and quickly. (Lucky those!) They seem to be doing well so let's not get him frustrated by not having any access to her. Also, if she wants to see him, that is great and would be even better if she uses him as a measure of comfort as she adjusts to her new home.

We don't want her establishing her own territory (if she is kept separated for any length of time) that she would then feel she has to defend. You could go with the "immersion" method described on the rabbitsindoors site (my site) that Theo linked.

If they are already showing positive signs, stick with it. Don't separate them. Monitor them together and see how they do. There are bonds that go very smoothly and quickly. (Lucky those!) They seem to be doing well so let's not get him frustrated by not having any access to her. Also, if she wants to see him, that is great and would be even better if she uses him as a measure of comfort as she adjusts to her new home.

We don't want her establishing her own territory (if she is kept separated for any length of time) that she would then feel she has to defend. You could go with the "immersion" method described on the rabbitsindoors site (my site) that Theo linked.

yes, she is warming up a lot. She’s slowly been getting more comfortable and is moving more and more. She took a treat from me as well! I opened the door of the crate and have left it open. She’s not comfortable to venture out yet, but Gavroche is very respectful of her. He’s been laying down outside the crate a couple feet away, he comes every once in awhile and makes some sounds, then they sniff through the bars. He’s gone into the crate twice so far, and when he was to close for her comfort she head butted him. He respectfully moved aside and is giving her space. They seem to be developing some good respect and trust slowly. I was thinking of switching their sides in the crate daily to help with the idea of “sharing”. My first bun was a female holland. She was very sweet, but very cage aggressive. If we touched the bars or put our hand in, we’d get bitten. So I’m very happy that this girl is very relaxed about her space :)

Rabbits over 6 have a high chance of death when being spayed, but not 3 or 4. If she is not eating, or moving really I would start over the bonding process after 2 weeks of them being separated. She needs time to get settled in, and not feel like an outsider.

I had really wanted to spay any female rabbit I ended up getting, but looking into more, it’s not practical to this situation. I have not found any rabbit familiar vets that are willing to put rabbits over age three under anesthesia. Even the local humane society told me they don’t spay the females they get in- too difficult and risky of a procedure.

If you have a local rabbit rescue, call and ask them if they have vets who spay older rabbits or what they suggest on that front. I'm not suggesting you do it against your own or the vets better judgment, but may as well get all the local info you can.

I hope your two make good friends!

If you have a local rabbit rescue, call and ask them if they have vets who spay older rabbits or what they suggest on that front. I'm not suggesting you do it against your own or the vets better judgment, but may as well get all the local info you can.

I hope your two make good friends!

Thanks, but the only rescue that takes rabbits is my local humane society. They said no when spoke to them about this. But they are getting along very well as of now! They groom each other. And they always seem to pick up when the other isn’t in the mood for interaction, and will give space. Though she hasn’t gotten the bravery to come out of the crate to explore- only stays within 4 feet of the crate when I do take her out. She’s slowly warming up!

I had my 4-year-old spayed and there were no problems. But he charged me an older rabbit fee of $30. But 4 years old is not old but whatever.

Latest posts

Back