Adoption Info Sheet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeltonB

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So, in two weeks, I'll begin adopting out the babies from the "surprise litter" from last month. I expect a few new parents will have little or no rabbit experience, so I wanted to put together a Bunny 101 handout for them. I was wondering if you folks would mind looking over what I've put together and add any suggestions or correct any inaccuracies I've got.

This isn't a comprehensive document, just enough to get the new owners going.

Thanks for your help!

Kelton

View attachment Bunny Checklist.pdf

A few things I think that should be covered:
1) Exercise/play time - what is acceptable, what kind of time do they need, constant supervision, etc.
2) Rabbit proofing
3) Proper handling

Here is a couple other suggestions besides the above mentioned ones:

2. Litter
You might want to mention using plain paper cat litter such as Yesterday's News or similar store brand or the wood pellets that others here have mentioned with more info.

http://www.petco.com/product/3050/P...ased-Pellet-Cat-Litter.aspx?CoreCat=LookAhead

I've been hesitant to try the wood pellets because I'm not sure what to get & know what I'm doing so prefer to stick with the paper cat litter even if I pay more.

Care
2. Nails
I would mention having either Quik Stop which should only be used for nail bleeding or corn starch/flour which can be used on other cuts/bleeding should be handy when nails are being cut. Either take take their bunny to their bunny's vet for a proper nail trim &/or be shown how to do a proper nail trim. Bunnies in my opinion aren't easy for a single person to have to trim nails.

Oh, you might also want to mention any bunny vet clinics that you know treats bunnies if the new owner is in your area & doesn't ask. I asked dozens of questions with my buns prior to getting them. Tried to think of every possible thing that I might need to know & not have anyone near me to help. Phone calls are great but you can't always get the person you need to talk to when you need them especially in an emergency.

Last edited:
A few things to consider...

I have seen some rescues REQUIRE that an adopted bunny be neutered to prevent further 'surprise' litters. That would be up to you.

I thought I had read that baby shampoo is NOT safe for rabbits - but I have no documentation of that. Nevertheless, I'd suggest that you not give instruction on how to bathe because having instructions just encourages them to do so. I've seen tons of bunny owners on yahoo talk about wanting to bathe their rabbits because they think it's just a cute idea to 'baby' the bunny. I realize you gave specific circumstances as to when, but those are so extraordinarily rare, that I don't think it's necessary to state those circumstances and then offer instructions on bathing.

Also, covering the entire cage floor with bedding tends to confuse some bunnies as to where to 'go.' I (personally) would not recommend anyone doing this.

And lastly, the House Rabbit Society recommends limiting pellets beginning at age 7 months.

The only thing I can think to suggest is giving it a title and perhaps a short intro sentence to say thanks or something :p

I've attached the care sheet that I received with Bandit, thought it might help to see one that was a little different.

View attachment Rabbit Care2.doc

As a new bunny owner I appreciate all this good info!!

if this is going to be a handout there is not a lot of point in putting in links. People simply won't go to them. If you must, include pictures rather than links.

Latest posts

Back