Adopting a Bunny with "Special Needs"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeposten

Reaction score
So, I was browsing Pet Finder as I often do, and to make a long story short on Wednesday I will be bringing home Hoppity!

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6857017

He's a Dwarf Hotot mix with tons of personality (I went to the shelterto meet him yesterday)! He also has maloclusion. I'vefamiliarized myself with the condition, and a friend of mine whoattends the Vet Tech school that I will be starting at next month putme in touch with an instructor who has agreed to show me how to keepHoppity's teeth trimmed back.

Tomorrow I will be finishing Oswald's NIC condo and starting on one forHoppity. I will also be going out to purchase all the requisite rabbitgear.

I am, however, a little worried about how Oswald will react toHoppity's scent. I will not be letting them out together until Oswaldis neutered (Second week in September), but I am worried that Oswaldwill get depressed or jealous because he can smell Hoppity in histerritory. I don't want that to happen. Any suggestions?

I'd really appreciate any other tips on adding a second bunny to the family.

Thanks!
Amy (and Oswald!)

I don't have any tips as I still have anonly-bunny (we plan to get another soon though), but I just wanted tobe one of the first to say congratulations! That's great thatyou'll be able to trim his teeth yourself, probably alot cheaper foryou too, then he won't really be a special needs bunny atall. So, once again, congratulations!

Hello Amy,

I have read in some places that bonding two adult males can be difficult? I heard that itrarely is successful?

As far as his teeth problems go, just keep in mind that while it may beeasy to trim the front teeth once you get the hang of it, what if hismolars start to overgrow to? That can happen sometimes. Then he willneed to go in and have it filed down. I had a g-pig once I had rescuedthat needed this. It cost $120.00. So just be prepared for the extraexpense.....it could end up being an ongoing thing.

Liz Fufu

Wow..a new addition to the family..how exciting!

Bonding two males can be very difficult. As long as you're prepared forthe possibility that they might not ever bond, I say goahead! I bonded my first two boys successfully, but Im havingtrouble bringing the third (the infamous Mr. Tumnus) into themix.

Here are some great links on bonding:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17.

I used the advice of the HRS, which can be found here:http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/introductions.html

Its definitely best to wait at least a month after Oswald is neutered(I'm assumung the other guy already is). I know most peoplesuggest taking your bun with you to pick up the new one, but in thiscase (as Oswald is unneutered and the new bun is a boy) they wouldprobably just fight right off the bat.

You can try housing their cages in the same room and see how Oswalddoes, he might freak out though, I know my guys would. I house Mr.Tumnus in a separate room from the others and they areokaywith his scent. The only time they freak out is if he's scratching atthe door or something (taunting them :)). I know some people do havetrouble with their bun smelling the new one, and have to do things likewash their hands or change their clothes after they handle one.

Anyway, Im ranting...hope this helps you. Feel free to pm me if youneed any bonding help! Ive been there (and Im there now :)).

Good Luck!

Haley

PS. the teeth trimmingshouldnt be that big ofadeal. I knowlots of peopleon here have tohavetheir buns teeth trimmed (I have to as well now that Maxhad his lower one removed). And it saves a lot of money if you can doit yourself!

I'm definitely ready for the challenge. Hoppity is already neutered and like I said, Oswald will be neutered in a few weeks.

I'm going to try keeping them in the same room at first, but if Oswaldgets too upset, then I'll move Hoppity to a different room.

I suppose I'm mostly nervous because I want to give them both the wonderful homes that they deserve.

-Amy

I know exactly how you feel!

Keep us posted on how things go. I cant wait to meet the little man. We will need lots of pics!

Oh, and make sure to give little Oswald lots of treats on wednesday(mommy just got home and now she brings home a little brother?!) Hewill need some extra attention :)

Its so great that you're getting a rescue! Can you tell Im excited for you?!

I wouldn't be worried about Oswald being toostressed over the new arrival, after all, he does have to learn to dealwith it eventually! I mean, my bucks were down right mad (especiallySpice) when I brought a 3rd home yet I didn't have another option, theyall had to stay in the same area and within3 days they werefine (ok fine with the scent, not with each other).

Today has been such a busy day! I've finishedOswald's NIC Condo (he's loving it!) and I'm almost done withHoppity's, my mom is coming for a visit and she's taking me to get thewood for the base cut tomorrow.

I picked up a new carrier today and placed a huge order with the BusyBunny which should arrive sometime next week. Hoppity should have lotsto play with.

But I certainly haven't forgotten Oswald. I picked up some of hisfavorite treats and some new toys for him as well. He's going to begetting lots of extra attention as well.

Hoppity will be here tomorrow evening! I have so much to do! I willpost pictures of Hoppity and both NIC Condos tomorrow after Hoppity'sarrival! I can't wait!

-Amy

Amy, I'm so excited that you're already bringinganother little guy into your household. As the others already stated,bonding two males can be difficult... but with perserverance you may besuccessful. And if not, well... then you'll have two adorable, white,furrylittle men who will each claim you as his "wife"... whatcould be better than that? I love that Hoppity is also nearly as whiteas Oswald. They should complement eachother well :D So, what did you dowith that large petstore cage that you already purchased? If youhaven't already, most pet stores will still take it back. Make up someexcuse, and they'll usually go along with it.

Are you keeping the name Hoppity?Considering Oswald's regalname, I just don't think it seems your style. If not, what names areyou thinking about? I love unique bunny names :D

The idea of bonding does make me a bit nervous,but I'll have plenty of time to read up on it while waiting for Oswaldto be neutered (Second week of September) and then recover, and like Isaid, if they don't bond, then I still have two amazing bunnies! I'mactually going to keep the large cage for when the bunnies have to staywith my mom (if I go on vacation or something). it will be much easierto transport than the huge NIC condos.

I'm not sure if I'll be changing his name. I'm already accoustomed tocalling him Hoppity, but it is a bit cliche. It's something I'll haveto think about.

-Amy

Latest posts

Back