Adopted bunny and veggies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristyn

Reaction score
Hello all!

So I'm new to this site and a new bunny owner.

I just adopted a lionhead female under a year old. Shes my baby already! Been with us about 3 weeks now.

Where she came from she got fed only hay abd pellets and after lots of research I saw that minimal pellets with daily greens and hay were needed for a healthy diet.

Well my new bunny has not liked one veg I've tried!!! Basil..spinach..kale..carrots.. dandelion greens.. brocoli leaves..then strawberries..apples...bananas... she wants nothing to do with any of it.

So my question is.. what can I do for her to be in the best health? Is she okay in just pellets and hay? I've red they should really be getting fresh greens daily!

What to do....

Thankyou in advance!

20190603_193037~2.jpg 20190528_073727~2.jpg 20190603_193037~2.jpg

Just wait for a while, one of my bunnies only started to try tasting other stuff after he trusted me.

So everything I give him from hand, he take it as food.

Maybe you also just have to find what she likes, try different herbs that are friendly to bunnies.

For example all my bunnies hate paprika for treats, but they love banana especially the banana I’m eating.

Leafy greens, you should only give tiny bits in the beginning for taste and slowly give more.

How much pellets do you give her? Maybe she eats more of something other yummy and safe food, so she can’t eat the other.

Hi,

patience. It is completly normal for rabbits to be sceptical about new stuff, first a sniff, next day a test nibble, and then they slowly come around. Imho, it also helps to make a little show of nibbling the stuff yourself or make munching motions with your hand at it while ignoring her, not trying to force it on her - they are curious, greedy little beasts.

If you have the chance to forage i would start with greens like grass, dandelion, narrowleaf plantain, leaves of apple, blackberry, rose etc., can't tell about vegetables (they thoroughly the only thing i planted - garlic chives - thoroughly), only feed Topinambur, carrots and a little kale in winter.
Not much fruit, they do make great treats though.

Whatever new you introduce, do it slowly, slowly increasing the amount for about a week, starting with thumbnail bits.

Anyway, there are several ways to feed a rabbit that are quite equally good, good hay and pellets can be one of them. Veggies and fruit can be a part of it too.
Me myself, on the other hand, feed as much diverse food as I can find, 90% green forage, tree branches, hay, and some pellets, since they are outdoors a lot they need to be used to everything, and I think they do select what they feel they need, but that, of course, isn't an option most pet bunny owners have.

This is imho a very good site about feeding pet rabbits:
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

My two go crazy for cilantro. I feed them mostly romaine and red leaf and some cilantro. My male loves green leaf, but because my female isn't used to it yet, I don't feed it to either. Neither of my two like basil which is good for me because I can't stand the smell.

What Hernelin and Alyssa and Bugs said. My bun drake steals kale out of my hand and runs to the other side of his cage. Wants his kale I guess

Thankyou all for the advice!

I will definitely try nibble a little bit in front of her..

And I'll still try the things i hadn't tried yet besides the ones she hasn't liked which is everything. Lol. Or maybe I need to try those again too.

Or maybe when she gets used to everyone like you all said shell more likely try everything. As of now I'm really the only one she comes to and let's pet her unlimitedly.

Thanks!! Will let everyone know If i figure it out!!

Back