ABC's Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Nymh's leash training is almost perfect I'd say. :) For a bun, anyway. Next thing on the list for Nymh is a retractable leash, though. x.x;
Nymh made a new friend today. "TiTi" is her nickname. She's adorable. And liked to ask me about what he ate.

There's a new bun at the petting zoo up the road. It's a black and white broken GORGEOUS mini rex. I almost took "Oreo" home. Dx

Posting these:
Phonebooks?
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=58133&forum_id=48

What is this?
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=58136&forum_id=48

So exhausted... u.u Can't type anymore.

I think Ecresi and I are planning to take Nymh and her ferret, Chii, to petsmart either today or tomorrow. Last I knew, though, she was asleep. x.x; So we might not get there today.
For Jasper, I may try to persuade my mother (I go to her place in June for a short vacation), that her dog needs a new harness. He's a 30 lbs cockapoo mix and uses the next size up of the harness I like for rabbits. So if she gets a new one, I get to take home the old one and retry Jasper now that she's older. If she won't take to it, I'll see how Luna works with it. If neither do, I may just see if Jasper's sisters or mother can use it. It won't go to waste for sure. :)
Also, I finally finished doing the math for ABC's new bun cage. It will cost a little over $130. 4 NIC sets, vinyl tiling, plywood, zip ties, wheels, and dowels to hold up the levels. The whole shebang. :p
I'm pretty sure the whole thing will easily be supported- because I'll be zip tying a 1x2 to each side for support. :)
I just need to think of how to A) Build the ramp for Luna and B) Make a way for Nymh to get down from the top. I've seen people build habitrail-like hop-lvls for a bun to get to and from their cage. And I've been thinking of rigging something similar.
In the mean time, I have thoughts of using 1 set of NIC to make a playpen outside for the buns (girls :p) that won't leash or harness train. And using it like that until we move so they can get some chill time outside like Nymh does. They won't get to run around outside... But they'll be able to get awh'ed over by the neighbors. :D
I'm always being asked what my other buns look like. And the neighbors... Aren't exactly young and savvy. One has a lot of medical problems, so she probably couldn't see my camera screen if I showed it to her... And she couldn't come upstairs to see the girls. And I don't even think they have a computer to send them a link... So, I think I'm just going to set up a play pen outside and use that.
Also now learning I need to keep Luna out of my rats faces. xD The tan one doesn't care. But the black one does. She gets all huffy and puffy and offended. Luna doesn't mind them. But I don't need the black one getting all vicious through the bars just because she doesn't like my rabbit. x.x; Setting up a barrier later.
Put the tube in the rat cage. :D They hated it at first. But they like it better now. Still have room for a hammock, and a few other elements I'm hoping to add some time eventually.
The hunt for a job is now further. I've met with a guy who specializes in finding people like me with disabilities, work. Which is good. We're started first on a resume and he gave me this booklet on how to clear my criminal record from that pesky misdemeanor. :p
I'm also making pillows now- still on my first one. But I'm having fun. And excited to see how it will come out. I've only ever made one pillow before. And I hate it now because I think it looks retarded. :p
Also, I added something in the bun room- a bowl of hay in the middle of the room. Since I notice Jasper avoids her cage like the plague when I'm in the bun room, she therefore does not eat or drink when I'm in the room. Judging by the water bottle, I know she's NOT dehydrated. But she may not be munching as much as she could be. So I added the hay bowl.
I've also decided that Nymh and Jasper will be bonded after both are fixed. And after Nymh's 'father services' are over with. After his first litter is born I'll be neutering him and bonding him to Jasper. Because they both get along really well. They kiss through the cage bars and hang out next to each other's cage ALL the time. They barely even run around when let out- they'd prefer to hang out with each other. I've only ever had single buns so far. And the idea of bonding two of my buns is exciting and fairly unnerving. I've seen what Jasper's capable of if the bond breaks. Nymh's so small.. I may rethink the bond altogether. But for now, they're good friends between the bars. And it will be staying that way for now.
Think that's it for now- I've got a video to upload in a little bit. I'm still putting the finishing touches on it. :D It's a little video of my buns~ Binkying~ And being a adorable. :D

Got the video all uploaded. :)
Hope you enjoy~
[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/kc8zxQ5ohaM&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Welp... I learned something new today. :p And Nymh has made yet another friend... Though.. this is a different kind of friend. x_x; This is a very special friend. This makes sweeping very difficult... thank you, Nymh. x-x; On another note, this made me absolutely hysterical the first time I saw it. I knew he *chased* the broom, but I didn't know what he'd do if he caught it! xD So here's Nymmy with his new special friend. :p

Warning: Explicit stuff and not for people under... whatever. :p If you own rabbits, I'm sure you've seen it before anyway. x_x;

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/USV5MFz2THo&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Well, I finally did it. I've been teaching Luna not to be in the bathroom. In case I leave it open by accident. She knows by now that she's in trouble if I catch her in there. Well, I left it open, she got in there, and ate my lucky bamboo plant, which sits on the floor in there. This was one of the major reasons I didn't want her in there. That and the chemicals she could get into. I don't know how good or bad the bamboo knock-off is for her. And now I'm worried. I'm starting my research at the moment, and keeping the vet on speed dial if something goes wrong...

Luna update: She's doing fine so far... She's alert, still her usual moody self, peeing and pooping normally, and her tummy's the normal amount of squishy-ness. Hopefully, she'll be fine.

Rat update:
The rats finally obtained names. :) I'd known I'd wanted to give them Chinese names. But translating what I wanted into something that 'fit' them... Was a challenge. :) But I finally got just what I wanted in their names without it sounding retarded.
The tan and white one is now Xing Guang. "Star Light".
Xing means star. I wanted to name her after Nyota. Since that was a large part of the reason I got her. She looked a lot like her- not just in the sense that she was a tan and white hooded. She had that something about her... That made me wonder if it wasn't my Ny. And even now, I find myself on the edge of calling her "Ny" all the time... So "Xing" had to be in the name. I decided that "Xing" was just too short. So I started looking for other elements in her personality to explore in Chinese. I came up with several but... I'm sorry but if the name rhymes, it doesn't work for me. And since Chinese have a LOT of syllables that sound similar, it took me a while to think "Well, what about light?" Since she was lighter than her sister, both in personality, and in color. "Guang". The best thing about this was, I knew the name before I even made it. My favorite song by the Chinese band S.H.E. is called Xing Guang. And I knew it's translation.
After finally coming to a conclusion on the tan and white one's name, I moved on. I already knew the first part of the black and white one's name, as well. I wanted "Lei", which means 'tear'. As in teardrop. She has a teardrop on her butt and plus, it fit her skittish personality. After looking for a second part to the name, and almost giving up for the night, I looked up "strong". Because, despite her cowardly nature, she was still a fairly strong-hearted little ratty. "Qiang". Now, this is pronounced "Chiang" not "Kiang". ;) So we now have:
Xing Guang (Star Light)
and
Qiang Lei (Strong Tear)

untitled2.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled4.jpg

untitled.jpg

untitled0.jpg

untitled1.jpg

Reading something just now in Amy's blog, made me feel the need to rant about my own situation. :p Because she and I have a similar 'can't stand who we're living with' moment. So rant I shall~
:rant:

So I live in this house with my boyfriend upstairs in a 2 floor house. The only kitchen is downstairs. So is the nicer bathroom. But there are two other people living here. Martin, a morbidly obese twenty... five year old? Maybe twenty six or seven... He's a gamer. The stereotype. Up all night, doesn't work, commands mother to be his slave, screaming at all hours of the night at the video games, munching on nothing but snack food while ruining my sleep as I can hear him all the way up here- even through THREE closed doors and a floor!
Linda is his mother. She lives with him. She's not so bad alone. In fact, without Martin, she's darn near a saint. But if her precious baby boy is in danger of anything... Getting kicked out, being called a liar, being told to clean up after himself, or being told off, she becomes mega(censored) and coming railing after us with all the power of a thousand men. Not physically, but metaphorically. She's managed to get the landlord 110% on her side. Believing that she and her precious son are the angels and that me and Boyfriend are the annoying little immature brats.
We're moving. Landlord knows this. Martin and Linda do not. We're going to try to move in with several people we've lived with before. We know their habits. We know the way they act. We know how to work with them and how to talk to them. Martin's just a loose canon stuck in a brick wall. And it's to the point the Boyfriend and I are actually terrified of going downstairs. We can't even go get food without being afraid of being yelled at for something else.
Now, because of Linda's sour attitude turning against us more and more by the day, the landlord's told us that we can't have any more pets. I can't live in a place like that. I can't handle a fuzzy-cap. I've always had more pets than I could handle. And I do so much better in life that way. I zone out when doing cages, and petting animals and it's better than meditation or anything like that... It heals me on a whole different level. And the more I have, the better off I am like that. 3 buns and 2 rats is nothing. I've had more than I can count at a single time. And we were planning on getting mice, hermit crabs, a dog... Plus I wanted to foster kittens... And we can't have more pets?
The worst part is, Linda complained. Which is what started all this. And she doesn't even see the animals. Ever. I could bring in 4 more rats, two cats, a cage of mice, and ten more rabbits, and she'd never know. All of the animals are upstairs and she can't come up here because of her bad back/legs/neck/shoulder/breathing. So I don't even see why the hell she cares... And to make matters worse, the landlord got an attitude that the animals "must cost you over $150 a month!". We were complaining we couldn't pay rent for the extra room (boyfriend's brother (censored) us over and now we're stuck paying rent for a room we can barely use for more than buns.) and he told us to get rid of my animals. Boyfriend put the guy in his place. Buns cost us a total of ... $3.50 every... let's say 4-5 months for a bail of hay, $11 a month for a bag of pellets, $5 a month for a bag of litter. Rats cost us... $20 for all the accouterments to their food mix and that'll last anywhere for 3-5 months. They use the same litter as the buns. Aside from that, buns eat people food (food stamps- lettuce, carrots, whatever- or the food pantry down the road- we take what they can't give away- bags of spinach, turnip greens...) and wild diet, which is, duh, free. Landlord stopped himself in his tracks. What a (censored)... I thought that this place was the best place we could ever end up with. But I guess I was wrong... Between Linda, Martin, and Landlord, I'm about ready to pull my hair out.
Been thinking of just telling boyfriend to get his mice. Chances are, the (censored)s downstairs won't even notice... And we have to get mice before I can get more ratties. It was a personal agreement. ;) And I wants more ratties~ The girls are such a fun pair, now I want more! And my whole cage can hold 6 comfortably. :eek:

Okay, rant over. :p Time to go watch anime before bed with Boyfriend. :D

Ugh, only thing more annoying than an blahblahblah landlord if is an even more blahblahblah neighbor/roommate. Yours sound nuts!

On a different note, nice names for your little ones. I like them. Lei Qiang struck me a little bit odd at first because of the juxtiposition, but I know that's what you were going for. :) I minored in Chinese and East Asian Studies in college :p

kirbyultra wrote:
Ugh, only thing more annoying than an blahblahblah landlord if is an even more blahblahblah neighbor/roommate. Yours sound nuts!

On a different note, nice names for your little ones. I like them. Lei Qiang struck me a little bit odd at first because of the juxtiposition, but I know that's what you were going for. :) I minored in Chinese and East Asian Studies in college :p
:eek: Lucky you! I get to learn from free courses online.. I wish I could go to College for it... But there's really nothing in the area... Unless I could drive (a LOT) or move, there's nothing realistic here. =\ Local college used to have German... But... They stopped doing it years ago because no one was interested. I'd settle to learn any language fully at this point. I can hold a minor conversation in Japanese... But that's about it.. Anything else I know at this point is random words in other languages.. I don't really even have time to indulge myself in the online courses anymore. :\ And I don't even have a job. Between animals, keeping up house, looking for work, and a new place to live, I'm lucky to get to watch anime with Boyfriend at night. u.u

Today was eventful. Took Nymh to Petsmart today. :) He was a big hit. People were all lovin' on him. It was very cute. He got a little anxious when a VERY excitable terrier on the other side of the store was barking her bloody rotten head off, but he didn't really 'freak out'. Just froze. He did really well riding in the 'seat' part of the cart. I ended up soiling the rats this time. All the trips to stores recently has been for the buns. So I made this one a small rat trip. We really didn't have a lot to waste this time, unfortunately. So I picked up this cute little bird toy for the ratties. They won't get it until I clean their cage tomorrow.
Also got them the can of cat food in the picture. I give them a small taste every once in a while just as a treat. I mean occasional. They're lucky if they'll get it once every three months. :p I don't think it's really healthy for them... But a small taste won't kill them. They'll be getting that tomorrow, too.
ToySnack.jpg

After I got home from showing off my furry bun, I went for a walk, picking a ton of clover and dandelion for my fuzzies.
I found out that for the summer, I already have about 4 vacations panned. @_@ I don't know if I can bear to be away from my sweeties for all that time.. But when I'm traveling with Boyfriend, who won't leave ANYTHING home, I can't fit all the animals in the car with me... :\ I was lucky to bring Jasper to my parents' house for Easter... But I don't think I'll be able to bring anybunny with me this time... Everyone will have to stay home. We have people to watch them... but... I'm thinking of convincing Boyfriend to help me rig a constant live webcam stream for my babies... He's good at all that computer stuff. I know basics, and some advanced. But I'm an amateur when it comes to stuff like this. Dx He'd have to help me set it up...
Planning to get two NIC sets in the coming weeks to set up a playpen outside. This playpen will mostly be in preparation for a BBQ we want to have in July, where all my buns, and my parents dog will *hopefully* be outside with us, enjoying the day. Have to ask the landlord if he has any shade cloth laying around... He has a ton of junk in his shed.. I really wouldn't be surprised. :p And that would make my job a LOT easier with the buns.
Welp, time for this tired slave to wrap it up for the day. :p
Tomorrow is so far clear for cleaning cages. Joy~ /sarcasm...

Started a topic here:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=58210&forum_id=1

Ugh I had this whole cuteness thing about Xing bruxing in her sleep, then starting to boggle and I never even saw her boggle before... And it was written out really nice and cute. :grumpy: Until I posted it, and half the post disappeared... This has happened to me about a dozen times already and it's really starting to aggravate me. :pssd: I don't even know if it's my computer or RO or whatever... u.u I just need to remember to copy everything before posting it so I can just edit and paste if it doesn't work...

You can actually give rats canned dog food frequently and it would be healthier then cat food. Just buy high quality dog food (Merrick, Blue Buffalo, Wellness, etc). I like to give my rats baby food more often then anything, almost nightly actually.

Oh really? Well, that's good to know. I settled on the Fancy Feast Medleys because I fed it to my cat when I had one. I trust the brand because I can see what's in it for a change, ya know? Not just a can-shaped lump of brown food. This actually says "Rice" and has "Rice" or says "Garden Greens" and you can see "Garden Greens" in the can. It's nice to find a food where you're sure it's what it says on the can. ._. I'm not sure if any of the dog foods do that...

Baby food... You know I heard of people giving baby food to their *cats* but it never occurred to me to use it for my rats... We may or may not be going out later. I might take you up on baby food thought. :) Thanks.

Okay, so I cleaned cages, and Luna and Jasper got a revamp on their hay bins, and Xing and Lei got 2 new toys. :D

Xing and Lei's first new toy:
NewToy.jpg

Second new toy:
(They've had the balls- I just zip tied them to together ;D )

Toy.jpg
Toy0.jpg

Next comes the hay bin revamp. Same bins. But I noticed they were having some trouble getting the hay out of the crates because the holes were too small. Nymh has no trouble. But Jasper and Luna do.
So here's Boyfriend cutting the pieces out with his pocket jigsaw. :D He's so cute with his dinky power tools. =X
HayBinRevamp0.jpg

HayBinRevamp.jpg

HayBinRevamp1.jpg

HayBinRevamp2.jpg

HayBinRevamp3.jpg

For those of you that really follow my blog, and remember my little scare with Luna getting into the bathroom and eating my bamboo knock-off, here's a picture of the damage. Little rascal. :p

ThankyouLuna.jpg

And as a bonus, here's some cute ratty photos. ^^

Cuddles7.jpg

Cuddles6.jpg

QiangLeiShlep.jpg

Week's been redonkulous... So I'm sorry I haven't posted much.
I was just told that my being arrested was bumped down to a violation. Now, back in October, I was told I had committed a misdemeanor, I plead guilty, and blahblahblah I have a misdemeanor, right? Wrong. Apparently, the (censored)s at the courthouse never bothered to tell me I had bumped it down to a "violation" which doesn't require any applications to ever find out about it. Now, don't you think this information would have been nice to find out 10 denied applications ago? -_- Yes, I'm very unhappy. But, on the happier side, I can now go about looking for a job without having to worry about the (censored) misdemeanor...

On another note, Jasper has decided to start marking now. She didn't at first. It was just Nymh. But now it's her, too. I can't wait to get a job to get her spayed. :\ This is redonkulous. I now clean up after her pee and poop after her play times, and the same with Nymh after his. On the brighter side, their urine doesn't stain the painted white floor. Which, in and of itself is a good thing. Aside from that, though, when they urinate on the white floor, it gives me the best chance of seeing what their urine really looks like. When they pee in the litter box, it's hard to see what color the urine is, because of the litter. I can see that Nymh's calcium buildup issues are gone now, (he had a blotch of white in every urine spot when he first came here. And his urine was rather dark) and he's properly hydrated lately. What made the difference, however, I don't know. o.o

I'm now getting increasingly worried about the people we've chosen to come over and take care of the buns while we're gone. Unfortunately, the only other person that could really do it, wouldn't be able to come here every single day, and would have to have all buns, and rats, at her house. Which is just unrealistic at the moment.
The people we chose did.. acceptable last time. But the closer we get to leaving, the more it worries me. And something they said bothers me. Knowing the guy that said it, he didn't mean it the way it came out.. But just.. Me being overprotective... It's making me fuss. I was mentioning small things to do when we leave... Just little things.. And Eric said "You realize we just kind of throw hay in the cages and forget about them, right?" Now, I know him better than that. He was joking. But it does make me wonder if they'll be ready for the kind of responsibility the rabbits need now. Things have changed since the last time we went away. Drastically. I'm thinking of typing something up on feedings, out times, snacks, salad set ups, and what's required for them. And then I'm asking them if it's too much. If they don't seem to take to what I do on a daily basis, then I'll have to skip the trip... I can't take all three buns with me... Completely unrealistic. I'll just have to not go anywhere this summer. :\

Also, the (censored) roommates got into it again. This time, Martin got right up into my face, pressed his body against mine, screaming in my face, because we asked him to put a shirt on. And none of this is illegal. We're now in cahoots with the landlord. We want them out. The landlord has agreed to rewrite the lease with everything we want, IF they agree to it. If they break one thing in THAT lease, they have 7 days to get the bleep off the property. That's a couple of if's, though... The other idea, is we just found out last night, that they've already *technically* broken lease. Because they disrupted the peace. :) We have to tell the landlord we found that one, though. See if he agrees. If they don't agree to the change of lease, and the landlord won't follow through with that breach of lease, we're moving out this week, though. My animals will probably be given to a friend, all paid for by me, she's just feeding them and playing with them until we all move in together as planned. We'll probably end up going to a homeless shelter under emergency placement, and still looking for a 5 bedroom place for me, Boyfriend, Ecresi, her sister, Amber, and Damion (a friend). We have one place we're trying to persuade to let us pay extra for pets. They didn't *want* pets.. But we're willing to pay like $100 extra a month to keep ours. (Yeah I know, sounds like we're crazy, right? Rent's just seriously cheap because it's in the 'bad' neighborhood that's not so bad anymore. xD)

Oh, also, we're having a barbecue today. Hopefully, Ecresi and her sister can show up to this one. We were supposed to do it today until the (censored) roommates mucked everything up. :grumpy I'll have Nymh on the leash outside, and Luna might chill on the couch with us if we watch a movie or something. The (censored) roommates are gone for the weekend *confetti* so we have the house to ourselves~ No more being afraid to go downstairs.

Also, as per Amy's suggestion, my ratties now get banana baby food as a treat. :D
I would have gotten other flavors, and will soon, but at the time, it just wasn't possible due to finances. Dx

Oh, and you guys get a health update. I'm back in Physical Therapy for the ankle, back, and knee. I had to take like 2 weeks off because I got sick for two days and it destroyed my plans for everything. :grumpy Also, the Rheumatologist said I have 12 out of the 18 points that hurt. These points are pain points. When pressed on, people with any number of disorders will have X amount of hurting points. I was mostly looking for fibromyalgia. This is a condition of over reactive nerves. This basically means, when I bump into a door. I don't just say 'ow'. I break into tears, and fall over, trying not to scream. For fibromyalgia to exist, you only need 9 of the 18 points. I had 12. The Rheumatologist, however, won't agree yes or no to fibromyalgia just yet. She took a ton of lovely random bodily fluids and wants to run several tests and have me get a back x-ray before seeing her again. Which means I need to get the x-ray done before I leave for my folks. :pssd: There's too much to do! I also have to make a neurologist appointment at some point. I finally get my doctor to send the epileptic person (moi) to a stinkin' neurologist and I still haven't called for an appointment. And to top it all off, I need to make an appointment with my physician to possibly see ANOTHER specialist. *Kerflop* I need a secretary. Dx

Well, I suppose that's it for now. It's 5:20am. I should get some sleep before I need to get up at 10. :p Barbecue won't be starting till like 4. But I get up to feed buns and myself at 10ish. :D

I'm thinking I may just stay home this summer. :\ I attempted to show Eric and Tricia where the rabbit's veggies were in the fridge (we have two fridges), and they were more interested in the TV. Unacceptable. If they don't agree to the Bunny Care Guide I make up, then I'm just not going anywhere.

Okay, so I typed out this novel of a guide... And I'll show it to them later, after the BBQ. And I'll ask them if they think they can handle it. If they don't seem too thrilled, I'll just be staying home this summer. :/

I'm gunna post the guide here so you can all see what I have down. If anyone thinks of something that should be added, like something in "buns 101" or something, let me know.

Here's what the guide says:

Bunny 101:
Things you should know about rabbits in general...

1. Rabbits are grazing animals. They need their stomachs full almost all the time. Pellets are a supplement for the vitamins they won't get in other food. Hay is full of fiber. Fiber is required in a rabbit's diet. If a rabbit gets soft stool, it could lead to them getting very sick or dying. So the hay is required to keep their digestive tract happy.
2. Rabbits should have fresh vegetables every day.
3. Rabbits should be let out of their cage for at *least* an hour a day to stretch their legs.
4. Rabbits cannot handle sugar in large amounts. One apple chunk or piece of banana is all they can have for up to 3 days!
5. Rabbits are prey animals. Never hit them. Not even a tap. Use a squirt bottle, and thump your foot on the ground to show you're upset. This will usually stop the unwanted behavior.
6. Rabbit poop is also known as pills, due to the shape. When I mention 'pills', that's what I mean.

My Rabbits:
ALWAYS leave the air conditioner on, and the fan in the doorway! My rabbits and rats will overheat without the air conditioner on, and some of them can even die of heat exhaustion/heat stroke. When Luna's not out, leave my bedroom door open so the cool air can get to the rats.

My buns are awesome. They are fairly well behaved. You can leave all three unattended for up to two hours tops. Just make sure you keep checking on them to make sure they're not doing something they shouldn't be. You can leave them out longer, so long as you're watching them every hour or two. Just be diligent. Don't EVER leave the house while they're out. And never fall asleep with them out. If you're tired, put them away.

Caring for the buns:

Luna:
Out time:
Since she's in the hall, she usually gets to be out all day when I'm home. I block off the stairs with the cage grate. Make sure she won't be able to go around the grate to the other side. She's very slinky! Block off Happy Bob's room with the window pane, as I've been doing. All other doors must be closed! My room, store room, bun room, and bathroom, must all be closed off.
Feeding:
Luna's pellets will be measured out for you, and I will be arranging baggies of veggies that she gets every morning. So you just go downstairs, and pick one of each rabbit's baggies for veggies every day. Luna should never be in the cage when you feed her. She will attack. Aside from the fact that this is dangerous to you, I'm trying to work on her aggression issues. And you invading her personal space, and her only safe place, to take away her food bowl to fill it, or reaching your hand in, will not help the process. Try to wait until she's no longer in the cage before feeding her. You can sit in front of the door of the cage to prevent her from hopping back in. But she's skittish, so you'll have to have some patience. You might want to wait until she's over by the bathroom door before trying to feed her. Just an option. Obviously, if you're pressed for time, just shove the food in her cage. She *will* get over it. But I urge you to not do this unless you need to.
Other animals:
Luna does not get along with Lei (the black and white rat), or Jasper. So make sure the bun room door and my bedroom door stay closed. Even if the bun room buns are both caged. Luna will attempt to attack them through the cages. So if she gets into the bun room, she has to get out.
Punishment:
If Luna does somehow get in the bathroom or bun room, spray her with the squirt bottle consistantly until she's out of the room. She does *know* better. She's just stubborn. If she gets in my room, simply clap, say her name loudly, and try to chase her out the door. Poking her butt works well. She won't be hard-headed enough to stand for much more.
Caging Her:
To get her back in the cage, simply chase her about. You'll find she cages herself very easily. Because the cage is her safe place. Which is again why I urge you not to feed her while she's in the cage, unless you really must.

General Bun Room info:
There is a blanket on Jasper's cage. It stays there. Nymh gets on top of her cage and can injure himself through the bars since his legs are so small. Plus, his marking pills will go through into Jasper's cage. Rabbits are very territorial. This would be disasterous for a number of reasons. So just leave the blanket there unless you're filling her hay rack.

The hay bowl is there simply for the buns to eat more hay. It's not really required, though it does seem to have Jasper eating more. She will tip the bowl. Just as a warning. Don't yell at her for doing it, or get upset at her. Just clean it up at your own pace. It's just hay. It can go back in the bowl.

Make sure all of the windows are closed when the buns are out. ALL of them! Jasper has tried to get out the small window by the lamp before. So she will try again. Please do NOT ever leave anybun alone with ANY window open.

Both rabbits will mark. Nymh and Jasper. They're fairly easy to clean up after. I'll leave the clorox wipes in the bun room, top shelf, for the urine. It won't stain. So don't feel bad to leave it there for a few hours of being lazy or needing to leave. After the urine's mopped up, just sweep the pills up. It takes less than 2 minutes to clean up after one bun. Nymh will mark in front of Jasper's cage. Jasper will mark in front of Nymh's. You must clean up after the bun before letting the next one out! If not, they'll just mark that much more and it'll be even more work for you.
Never punish them for marking on the floor. It won't stop even if you TOLD them in their language. This is all hormones and there's nothing we can do about it.

Jasper:
Out Time:
Jasper is usually the first of the two buns in the bun room to come out. When I'm home, she's usually out at least half the day. Bun-proof before every outing! She will get into almost anything! Do not leave purses, shoes, bags, clothes, or ANY food or drink on the floor, or bed. Put it on top of the dresser! Their stomachs are very sensitive! Simply having a nacho could make them very sick. Please make sure no wrappers, or candy is on the floor. Chocolate is instant death for rabbits. For those it doesn't kill, they can become perminant epileptics. And often need to be put to sleep. She's allowed on the box, on the shelves, on the purple tote, on the bed, on top of Nymh's cage, under the dresser, whatever. The only place she's not allowed is on the very top of the small bookcase. She can get up there, just doesn't really bother. Squirt bottle if she's up there. Just once. More than that may make her panic and misjudge the jump down and hurt herself.
Feeding:
Again, pellets and veggies will be measured out. She's my most prolific hay eater. Try to use the garbage bag with the least hay first, so we can discard that bag. She may got for days with no hay eating, then one day just consume almost the whole rack out of nowhere. So be on your toes. You can open the door on top of the cage to refill it easily. She can, and will, use that door to get out. So make sure both clips are clipped on, and the door is latched properly.
Other Animals:
Jasper only has contact with Nymh. One rabbit must be in the cage at all times. They cannot both be out together! Not even if you're holding them. They are both not fixed, and Nymh is still a male- which means he may be aggressive and hurt Jasper. Also, Jasper is PRESUMABLY female. We're almost positive, but it's possible she's a he. If Jasper turns out to be a male, unneutered, and Nymh unneutered, and they meet, you will be helpless. They will tear each other apart. They get along fine behind the bars of a cage. Until they are both fixed, they are not to be bonded or tested. Especially not without my supervision.
Punishment:
Because she's a bigger rabbit, she knows it. She knows that telling a 7 or 8lbs rabbit to get in the cage isn't the same as telling my 2lb Nymh. She's usually very well behaved until it's cage time. As I said, she's allowed almost everywhere. She won't try to leave the bun room, really. But still ALWAYS keep the door closed when Luna's out. If you find her doing something you really think shouldn't be allowed, spray her just once or twice. She usually gets the message pretty quick. I should mention, her 'bad chew' is wires. She doesn't tend to really 'go' for them, but if she gets in the rare mood, she will nom on them rather good. Only squirt her if you CATCH her chewing on the wires. If you do it even a split second after she's stopped, she won't understand.
Caging Her:
You know this one, already. She's not easy. And will fight you. Broom works best on her. Also, I encourage you to say "In the cage" while trying to prod her into it. This often works more than you'd think. She knew this command when she was a baby. But grew out of it. She will listen to it, eventually.

Nymh:
Out Time:
Pretty much all the same stuff as Jasper. Windows closed ALWAYS. He's sneaky! He's allowed pretty much everywhere but on the top shelf of the bookshelf. Again, on squirt, as more than that may cause them to panic and hurt themselves. Nymh will mark a lot more than Jasper. And will urinate almost every time out. Again, though, he's easy to clean up after. I urge you to not use the harness on him while I'm not home. Even if it looks cute. He hates that thing with a royal passion and I'm trying to make the process of getting it on less traumatizing for him.
Feeding:
Same as the last two. Everything will be sectioned out and pre-prepared. Nymh's hay rack can be a pain. Because he likes to pull everything out of it and nest in it instead. If he does, put what you can back in the rack, and just refill it best you can. You can leave some of his nest. I'm just trying to encourage him to eat it more.
Other Animals:
As said before, Jasper and Nymh only see each other. They get along when one's IN the cage. Never have them out together. Not even to hold one while the other runs about. You can open Nymh's cage with Jasper out. But don't let him come out fully.
Punishment:
Nymh's a stubborn one since his goolies dropped. The only things you should punish him for are biting too hard (I mean a real BITE- not a little love nibble. If it actually hurts, it's a bite.), and being on the top shelf of the bookcase. If he bites you, you may not have the squirt bottle ready. If you do, you have to get him ONCE almost immediately. If you won't be quick enough, try a high-pitched squeal. That usually does it. That's how buns show pain for real. He'll usually stop dead in his tracks, even if you sound like a tart for doing it, he might not bite you again.
Caging Him:
Yeah, you guessed it. Pick him up, and put him in. He's 2lbs. He won't fight that much even so. He doesn't so much mind being caged. If he gets really stubborn about it, don't *push* him in. You could hurt him. Humans are smarter than brute force, right? I've learned that if he's really arguementitive, you just pick up the cage part off the base, put him in the base, and put the cage back on top of it. Just make sure you get the cage on right. The cage part should rest INSIDE the base, behind or under the tabs. Also, clamp down the clips on either side for extra stability. Because Jasper does jump on top.

The rats:
Well these are easy. I encourage you try to use their names around them. Xing is the tan one. It's pronounced more like "Jjing". Lei is the black and white one.

Rat nevers:

Never feed them through the bars of the cage.
Never stick your fingers INTO the cage through the bars.
Never give them cardboard or toys through the bars.
Never hit them, tap them, poke them, or anything that a small rat could percieve as an attack.
Never punish them. They don't do anything 'wrong'. If Lei bites, you make a high pitched squeal like a rat in pain. It usually makes her high-tail it to the igloo.
Never give them oranges. (Personal opinion)
Never grab and hold their tails. You can poke and pet the tails, but don't hold their tail so they can't move. If they try to move away, instantly let go.

Okay onto the care of...

They're easy. Water bottle, food as needed, and you can play with Xing when you want. If you want, or can get a hold of Lei, you try to pet or hold her. But understand she may or may not bite. At the moment, due to Luna upsetting her, she's very unpredictable. Which is why Luna's not allowed in my room unless I'm home personally.

If you find they've demolished their current box, there's a small pile of small boxes in the hall for them. Just put in a new one. You can give them cooked meat, pasta, veggies, fruits, peanut butter, popcorn... The only things I personally advise against is candy, oranges, and ice cream. If you think they're hot, you can give them ice cubes to play with, or frozen apples. I have a bowl of frozen apples in the freezer.

You can give them the baby food, only HALF a spoonful a day per rat. Unused baby food gets labeled "rats" and put in the fridge. They have two wet food dishes in their cage- a pink one, and a tealish blue one. Make sure they both get one dish. I put one dish on the top level, and one in the base level, and let Lei pick one. Then grab Xing and put her at the other one, wherever it is. Otherwise they'll fight over it.

Oh, as for fights. You may hear scuffles at night. Squealing, banging, thrashing, them falling. Don't panic. It's unnerving at first, but there's a simple rat rule- No blood, no foul. No matter how rough it seems to us, it may just be playing to them. If you see one of them's gotten the other good, and is bleeding, then call me or text me to let me know. Sometimes, play just goes too far. So it could have really been an accident.

Well, I think that's it. Good luck with them. :) And always call me if you're not sure about something.

So, the barbecue was fun. We ended up moving it inside because we had hints of rain... While we were outside, I had Nymh on the harness. He was chillin' against the chain link fence, which he usually does. I tied him to it, and he just relaxed, enjoying himself outside. In the yard next to us, on the other side of the fence, there's a fairly large tree. There were two squirrels chasing each other in circles along the trunk. We commented, and someone brought up Nymh. I said he was fairly good with noise and commotion, which he was. He was more alert, but he didn't bolt, or even sit up, really.
We watched as the squirrels left the tree and bounded to the fence, going through the chain link RIGHT in front of Nymh! Literally, one link away! The squirrel whizzed past his nose, while the other froze on the other side before crossing, astonished. Nymh sat up, shocked at the assault of his personal bubble, and then started to freak out after it was all over. I picked him up and cuddled him, comforting him. He relaxed a little. We made a few jokes about the incident, and Nymh got some more run time after getting over it all before he went inside. All in all, I was very amused.

As for the people watching the animals, Tricia has completely assured me that the manual was extremely helpful, and she will refer to it when she requires help, or contact me if she's unsure of something. She seems really insistent that she manage it all with no problems. I'm worried, however, that her confidence is only because of the circumstances. These are High-Schoolers. That will, essentially, be getting an entire upstairs apartment to themselves (excluding kitchen) for the entire week... Are they only confident because they want the apartment for the week? Or are they really sure that they can do it? *Sighs*.. I hope they can handle it.. Sometimes, I'm not even sure I can handle it..

Latest posts

Back