ABC's Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariusshadow

Reaction score
[align=center]
[align=center]♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ A ri's ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ [/align][align=center]♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ B un ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ [/align][align=center]♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ C rew [sup][sub][/sub][/sup][sub][/sub]♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ [/align][/align]

[align=center]♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
[/align]
[align=center]Meet the Buns

First bun was Luna. She's approximately five years old. She's a broken black and white Polish mix with half blue eyes, half brown. Luna can be a little temperamental, but I'm working on her behavior.

[/align][align=left]Luna's Bio:
Name: Luna Weight: ???
Color: Black and White Broken & Dandelion (Flowers)
Breed: Polish Mix Least Favorite Food(s): Lilac
Likes: Being left alone, & Dislikes: Being offended. (She knows. Trust me.)
pinecones.
Most Discerning Feature: Star pattern on her side.

12743_020037_550000001.jpg

[/align][align=center]Second bun was Jasper. A friend of mine (a fellow RO'er! Her name on RO is Ecresi), had received a rabbit from Craig's List. Just as we were about to go pick up Kota (momma bun), we received a call, saying that she may be pregnant. She was making a nest! Ecresi still agreed to take her. Jasper was one of her five kittens. Ecresi still has momma and one of her offspring. So I've known Jasper ever since she was old enough to show a difference from the others.
[/align][align=left]Jasper's Bio:
[/align] [align=left]Name: Jasper Weight: ???
[/align] [align=left]Age: Less than 1 year. Favorite Food(s): Pellets, hay. (Not much into the
[/align] [align=left]Color: Brown agouti fresh foods.)
[/align] [align=left]Breed: Flemish Giant/Rex Least Favorite Food(s): Roses
[/align] [align=left]Likes: Being the center of Dislikes: NOT being the center of attention, going
[/align][align=left] attention, chewing boxes, toys back in her cage, being held.
made of willow, toilet paper rolls.
[/align][align=left]Most Discerning Feature: Oversized ears.
12743_020035_420000000.jpg

[/align][align=center]Third bun in Nymh. Full name is Nymhulous Beatrice. He was Ecresi's. But, when she mentioned she was going to rehome him, I jumped on him. He's a cutie with a bit of a biting problem, but he doesn't usually break skin. Other than that, he's a good bun. :)
[/align][align=left]
[align=left]Nymh's Bio:
[/align] [align=left]Name: Nymhulous Beatrice (Nymh) Weight: ???
[/align] [align=left]Age: Less than 1 year. Favorite Food(s): Roses! He will RAMPAGE for
[/align] [align=left]Color: Brown agouti roses!, hay, lilac.
[/align] [align=left]Breed: Jersey Woolly Least Favorite Food(s): Pellets, dandelion.
[/align] [align=left]Likes: Exploring new places, Dislikes: Being held, being last to be fed at
[/align] [align=left] Nut Knot Nibbler mealtime.
[/align] [align=left]Most Discerning Feature: Light brown eyes.
12743_020037_550000002.jpg

[/align][/align]

[align=center]Meet the Slaves:
Start with myself. :)
[/align][align=left]Ari's Bio:
Name: Ari Age: 21
Relationship: Living with Occupation: None at the moment. :( Too many
boyfriend. Doctor's appointments. :p
animals (duh!), singing.
Gotten new glasses since this picture. :p

DSCI2544.jpg

[/align][align=center]I live with my bf, who is the only other slave in the household. But we live with several other people. His name is Happy Bob. ;D

[align=left]Happy Bob's Bio:
Name: Happy Bob Age: 25
Relationship: Living with Occupation: None. Trying for disability.
girlfriend.
animals (duh!), hanging out
with friends, and face painting.

Note: I'm the one painted. He's the one behind me. ;)
1006082128a.jpg

[/align][/align][align=left]
[/align]

Today was fairly uneventful. But, yesterday, we got our first bale of hay. The buns aren't too happy about the switch, even though it's still Timothy... The stuff in pet stores is still different. Nymh devoured his handful overnight. Jasper nibbled hers on and off, and Luna's more interested in using it as bedding in her box. :p
I also cut up some roses and picked dandelions and white clover for my buns for the next few weeks. They're still working through the lilac and hosta I brought back from my mother's garden! They're some spoiled buns. :)

:) We live in Kingston, NY. I used to live in Duchess County, on the other side of the Hudson River. But I moved here about 4 years ago. If you know any of the area, I'm about half an hour away from Poughkeepsie. Everyone wants to steal Nymh. ;D So don't feel bad. When he still belonged to Ecresi, I used to joke about walking out with him in my purse. Or simply pick him up and "bye~" and she'd get a good giggle out of it. :biggrin2:

Well, last night I had posted on Luna's cage aggression. With her being on a dresser, things were a little rocky. But I finally finished cleaning up the hallway. :) She wasn't too happy about the change last night, but after settling in, she's already been free-ranging. This morning, she was out while Jasper and Nymh were fed, and we didn't have any growling or lunging. She was investigating the closed bathroom door when I was putting the food in her cage. This is definitely a step in the right direction. We'll just have to see how the next few months carry us to see if she'll be staying there.

12743_161247_590000002.jpg

12743_161247_590000000.jpg

My flash sucks, I know. :p

On another note, when going to feed Jasper, I found something rather amusing... The little stinker managed wrestle with her box in such a way, that the only opening got wedged against the side of the cage. She obviously wasn't panicking, so I grabbed my camera for this lovely bunny blunder:

12743_161247_590000001.jpg

She was chewing her way out at a leisurely pace, but I gave her a hand and she looked at me very indignantly, as though embarrassed for needing my help. I was hysterical.

Never a dull moment. :p

Oh! Also on the agenda! I'm getting RATS on Tuesday! I've had many a rattie before. But never sisters. I've had 2 single rats, a set of 3 brothers, a set of 2 brothers... This will be first sister pair. They're coming from an hour away- we're picking them up. It will be quite a trip. But worth it. The person lives out in Putnam County and we're in Ulster. I know the Putnam area a bit- my grandmother used to live down that way. I found the ad on Craig's List (That site is so dangerous! Dx So many cute faces~) and this poor person couldn't find them a home for the life of her. I told her my experience with rats, and craig's list, and she was overjoyed to find them a home. There's a tan and white hooded, and a black and white hooded. The ferret cage I use for rats is... Almost assembled. Working on it. :p I'll post pictures when it's completed, though. :) Can't wait to get them.

Oy, like I said, never a dull moment. Just had to pull apart a bunny tussle. Jasper was free-ranging in the spare room and Luna was free-ranging in the hallway. I had the door to the spare room latched with a latch-hook set up... For so I thought. My boyfriend said he found it unlatched when he went in there, and left it the way he found it.
Luna and Jasper got into it.
Jasper's cage part was off of her cage base because I was looking for something in the store room next door to the spare room in the middle of cleaning her cage. I'd heard a racket and figured at first that Jasper was getting into trouble. Heard it again and knew exactly what it was. I stood up and ran into the room to find a very indignant looking Jasper, no worse for the wear, just very aggravated, sitting under one of the chairs, and Luna all "O_O" in Jasper's cage. I scooped up missy Luna and plopped her back in the hallway. A quick minute to check out Jasper, no signs of injury, a second to check out Luna. Luna seems to have taken but a small injury, which I don't think is cause for alarm, but I'll certainly keep an eye on it. It's the smallest little scrape just on her eyelid. Jasper's still free-ranging, and Luna's in her box in her cage, rather disgruntled. Poor things. I'll have to pay closer attention next time... I was so sure I latched the door...

Cage for ratties is now complete!
With room for improvement. ;) I'm going to try to get some tunneling on the ceiling, and a hammock. We'll see how finances go, though.
Here's the bottom half first:
12743_170027_050000000.jpg

...And the top half:

12743_170027_050000001.jpg

And the whole thing!

12743_170027_050000003.jpg

12743_170027_050000002.jpg

Couldn't cut out the time stamp on the last one. xP
Ratties aren't until Tuesday, but I can't wait. :biggrin2::pinkbouce::bunnydance:

Well, it's 12:30am.. And this tired slave is going the heck to bed. It's been a tiring day for sure. Luna was just checked on from her tussle with Jasper. Her eye seems perfectly fine. Just a small scrape I'll monitor closely right next to her eye.
She yawned in my face before. Very creepy. But awesome. Yay bunny breath. :biggrin2:

Yesterday, we went to the dollar store and picked up 2 plastic black crates and a small white wire one. I intend to rig these as hay holders. I'll take pictures as I set them up so you can see what I did. Just had to go out and buy zip ties. I know we have like 20 packages of assorted colors here somewhere... But because moving left us in shambles, who knows where the heck they all went. Spent yesterday in the closet trying to find them to no avail. =\ Hope we find them when we start NIC cubes. Dx Otherwise buying all those new ones will suck...

Hay bins are completed! It worked rather well, actually.
I show step-by-step pictures of everyone's bins being made. And they're all fairly happy with them. :)

First is Jasper:
12743_171841_350000000.jpg

In order to keep the hay from falling out and onto the floor, I backed it with cardboard.

12743_171841_350000001.jpg

Then, I used good old fashion duck tape to hold pieces together. (Yes, it's purple. :p)

12743_171841_350000002.jpg

Then, add hay!

12743_171841_350000003.jpg

Now, the fun part: Attach it to the cage. Here I am, straddling Jasper's cage, one leg through the roof's door, wedging the crate against the cage to hold it still why I zip tie it. Jasper must have loved watching me do this. :p

12743_171841_350000004.jpg

Now, add bun. :biggrin2: Which, in Jasper's case, can be a challenge. :bunnybutt: :rollseyes
She certainly likes it, though. :)

12743_171842_070000000.jpg

Nymh's was a bit more of a challenge. Because his cage is smaller, for a smaller bun, I had to use a different kind of crate. But it worked out all the same idea. The only thing with this one, is on the bottom, the hay can come out of the bottom, too.

12743_171843_120000003.jpg

12743_171843_120000004.jpg

12743_171843_530000000.jpg

12743_171843_530000001.jpg

12743_171843_530000002.jpg

12743_171843_530000003.jpg

12743_171843_530000004.jpg

12743_171844_090000000.jpg

Nice creations! I like the use of different crates for the different cages. Very clever! What I should do is cut out a cardboard bottom and back for my hay racks. I am constantly picking up the bitty pieces off the floor of the cage. Somehow I'm just always too lazy to go ahead and do it :p You've inspired me - I'll do it next time I have some cardboard!

:O I'm honored! I inspired someone and now feel special~ xD Seriously, though, it's cool that you did it for Toby. :) I don't prolifically watch your blog, but I do know a bit of your buns by now. Does Toby like it so far? :)

ariusshadow wrote:
:O I'm honored! I inspired someone and now feel special~ xD Seriously, though, it's cool that you did it for Toby. :) I don't prolifically watch your blog, but I do know a bit of your buns by now. Does Toby like it so far? :)
Yeah! I've been putting it off for like a year! Every time I do a thorough cleaning of the buns' cages I get all annoyed by the bits of hay that's built up under the racks and I'm like "ok I should really put something to block off the bits" but then I'd always be too lazy to do it!

Seeing your pictures of nice neat hay racks fired me up to do it LOL

Kirby used to have his own hay rack and he was the most passionate hay eater. But, ever since Penny and Kirby moved in together, Penny's awful litter habits made me remove his hay rack. She'd squat in front of the rack and eat, but then she'd go #1 and #2 right there, instead of doing it in her litter box. I'm still trying to get her to be neater and understand where she's supposed to go. When she firmly grasps this concept, I will put a hay rack back. It worries me because Kirby's so used to eating out of having hay rack that he doesn't eat as much hay now :(

Toby doesn't detect a difference in his hay rack. He still eats out of it the way he always did. The sides are only blocked up about 3 inches off the bottom so he can eat from all sides from the top. He's happy with it :biggrin2:

We're about to leave to pick up the rats. ^^ I'm excited. I'm bringing my camera so I can take pictures of my two new girls on the way home and junk.

OMG Luna ate a ton of hay last night!
In the pictures, you see the hay rack almost full. This morning, it was down more than HALF! I'm glad she likes this. :) She needed more fiber. So this a good step. I decided to give her some small veggies this morning to see how her tummy takes it.
I usually give her one leaf of lettuce a day, because she'll get soft stool if she gets any more. Maybe a treat later on in the day like a carrot or something. If she continues to like the hay this way, I may be able to put her back on a morning small salad like everyone else soon. :)
And I was worried she didn't like the new hay! Ha!

The rat girls are home and in their new cage! I was given a rat-sized silent spinner (new, they're worth like $40, and hard to find in stores around here). The cage had to be adjusted a bit to get the wheel to fit, and I zip-tied the back of it to keep it from toppling because it doesn't have a cage attachment part. Just the stand. I have plenty of pictures of them. :) But for now, I'll let them settle while I go watch anime with the boyfriend. 8D We're watching Wolf's Rain lately. I'll post the pictures later.
No names for the girls... yet. I want to see how their personalities work out before thinking of something.

The personalities of the rats are coming through already. The tan and white one is very bold, energetic, and ready to explore. She doesn't mind loud noises, or the change of atmosphere. The black and white one, however, is very skittish. She won't deal with being pet or handled at all, and flies at loud noises. I mean straight up. She takes food, though. Which is good. Because that means I can use hand-feeding as a bonding exercise. She also LOVES her wheel. Which is good. Means I can use food as bonding exercise and not have to worry about a pudgy ratty. :)

Now, for the story:
The car ride was 100 miles total. From Kingston, NY, to Kent, NY (and back). With the help of google maps, we jumped in our friends jeep at about 2:30 and set on our way. Happy Bob sat in the back, mostly coming for the ride. He likes animals... But, personally, I wouldn't classify him as an 'animal lover'. With our friend (Damion)'s Droid fixated on our position on Google Maps, following our set path with a blue line through the pixelated highways, also keeping an eye on the print-out for distance and such, we managed to get out to Poughkeepsie, where we already knew we'd end up. We know that town well enough. We found we took a wrong turn at getting off the Hudson Bridge, though. Turn-Around number one. We set ourselves back on track and barrel through unfamiliar parts of Poughkeepsie, following the Holy blue line on the Droid screen. Lo and behold, I stopped paying attention (big surprise). And turned to Damion with "Where'd the blue line go?" He froze and gave me a glare. Apparently, it had been my job to pay attention. Oops. :p We turn around twice to get back on track. Turn-Around count is now on 3. We find the place fairly easily after that. Taconic State Parkway is fairly straight-forward. We get up to Lake Carmel, and we decide to call her. She says she'll be waiting outside for us. Mind you, it was raining the entire trip. And still was. We pull onto her road, and start trying to find house numbers. Not a single house was numbered. After passing a girl in a purple poncho with umbrella and two rats in a plastic rodent carry-tank, we realize we missed her. And had to make Turn-Around number 4. We turn and pull into her driveway. We scoot the ratties into the carrier and make for a quick departure due to the rain. I sat in the back with them this time. Immediately get my camera out for an "On the way home" picture, and onward we went. The road home was mapped out differently on the Droid, but we followed that precious blue line and managed to get home safely. After rearranging the cage, I opened the carrier and tried to urge them into my hand to put them in the cage. The tan one? No problem. The black one? Ha! Nothin' doin'. I had to take her out by removing the top to the carrier. She wouldn't even jump in the cage on her own. :p Stinker. The tan one was already climbing walls and sniffing the new hideouts by the time the black one showed up and the black one just followed her sister around. Now, they've settled in, but I have plenty of pictures to share of them exploring their cage. :)

Here's what the cage looks like since I rearranged everything:

Cage.jpg

And here's a few pictures of them in the cat carrier on the way home:
(Sorry I couldn't open the obnoxious barred door. :p In a car, you know. Don't need them escapin'.)

WayHome3.jpg

WayHome4.jpg

And here they are in their new cage, investigating their new digs:

Black6.jpg

Both1.jpg

Both4.jpg

"How'd you get down there?"
Both5.jpg

Black4.jpg

Tan5.jpg

Tan3.jpg

Both6.jpg

Both7.jpg

Both8.jpg

Tan6.jpg

Black5.jpg

And this is my favorite picture of them. :) The bold one's all up in the camera, and the skittish one's posing very amusingly.

Both3.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another note, Nymh is on my nerves. He insists on doing things he knows he shouldn't do. I remove him, say "no" firmly, and scoot him away, and he's back for more five seconds later. I thump, I block him, I put him away from where he gets in trouble, but he just will not listen. Aside from now looking for a job due to his behavior, (to pay for him to get fixed. Stubbornness sometimes is quelled by neutering, I hear.), I'm spending the buck or two on a squirt bottle for him. Let's see if it even makes an impact. I hope so. :p
Most of what he's doing is tormenting Jasper. Whose cage is in the room he free-ranges in. I don't really blame him for that, though. He's not neutered, she's not spayed... I was waiting for this. But he's dead set on getting on TOP of her cage. Jumping clear over the barrier between him and her cage to get on top (sometimes missing, which I can't help but giggling over ;)).
If I cover her, he stops caring about her as a bun, and more of her cage as an object to aggrevate me with. We'll see how the squirt bottle works, though.

On a brighter note, I saw Nymh BINKY for the first time today! And to make it better, I CAUGHT IT ON CAMERA! I was as giddy as a schoolgirl and still am. :biggrin2: It was so cute. I can't wait to incorporate it into my rabbit binky video I'm making.
Well, I'm off to play a few minutes of Project Powder before bed. Been a long LONG day. *Flop*

Latest posts

Back