Abby Collapsed...(RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this. I got a PM from Janet. Abby collapsed while she was running and binkying.She's was having trouble breathing. Janet said she was foaming at the mouth. I'm assuming she took her to the emergency vet. I just got her PM.

She asked me to let everyone know. I feel so bad. She loves Abby so much. I hope she is ok.

Well I am home now. Things are touch and go atm. Abby had been playing for about 15 minutes today when she collapsed in mid binky. She had some foaming from her mouth and was having a very difficult time breathing. I rushed her into the vet and they ran many tests. Abby has a very enlarged heart... My options are very limited and I am having a difficult time coping with this. The vets stated she would probably live much longer if kept confined to a small area and was only out for petting/brushing/etc.
I,however, know Abby and I will NOT confine her to a small cage nor will I lengthen her time by not letting her play. This is not Abby. Her whole existence, her whole goal in life is to run and to binky, and to enjoy life. I will NOT take that away from her. I told the vet that, to me, quality of life is more important than quantity. I will not let my baby girl suffer, mentally or physically.... She deserves better. I owe her better..
Thank you so much for posting this April. It means alot to Abby and I.

Just thought of something ; some rabbits a can be on heart medications but you would need a very specialized vet and I don't know if it would correct her particular problems ..sounds like congestive heart failure

I am so very sorry. Whatever decision you make we will all be here to support you. I agree, quality is so much more important that quantity when it comes to life.

oh my god i am so sorry!!!! i completely understand the quality versus quanity, and it is hard to have to make that decision. my heart goes out to you and i really hope that there is medication for Abby, but if there isnt i hope that you have the strength to do what your gut tells you

No meds right now she is still at the vets. She will be there for at least the night. I saw her heart on the xrays,or whatever it was, and it took up much of her chest. She is so young and it just doesn't seem fair. She wasn't my first ever bun but the first I have had since an adult and she has my heart. This can't really be happening to Abby. She was the last one I would have thought to have anything wrong with her...She is so strong.
I know what I am going to do but it is gonna take strength. If she makes it through the night and appears to not have any major problems right now, other than this. I am going to spoil her rotten. I am going to give her anything she wants and let her tear the floor up running and playing til she is content and let her live. When and if the time comes and I feel she needs to move on, I will let her go with dignity and with love and if she goes on her own accord so be it. I just want her to be happy, happy like she has been since the day she rode home in the car beside me in the seat, no carrier- just her and me. I want her to know that she has opened up this new world to me- one filled with love and joy- the world of rabbits. I will never forget this little girl whether she lives til tomorrow or she's 10 years old..
Please pray for her and pray for me- that I can be strong for her and do whatever it is that is in her best interest always and pray that I will never for a moment be selfish in regards to her.

We are still in shock I think atm. I will take her to my vet tomorrow. This one was closer and I was so afraid she'd be gone before I made it. I am going to see what he has to say too and go from there. I don't think it looks good though.

I'm so sorry to hear about Abby.

I think the best thing to do would to be to confine her at least while she recovers. It doesn't have to be to a teeny tiny crate, but a nice sized cage with just enough room to stretch out and relax would be good. Keeping her from running and binkying for about a week would help her heal and recover a bit.

From there, I'd suggest starting an exercise routine, much like you'd do with a human who wasn't used to exercising or who had a medical problem. Let her run for even just 5 minutes daily, increase to 10, so on and so forth.

In my opinion, bunnies don't need to be running wildly to be happy. They also enjoy just lounging around, soaking in some attention. So I think Abby would be perfectly content if you took things slow, and gradually reintroduced her to her exercise routine. This doesn't mean that it will "fix" her, but it would definitely more gradually accustom her to a more active lifestyle. :)

Best wishes to you and your bunny!

Oh janet... I don't know what to say... You and Abby will be in my thoughts...

Abby is so lucky to have you, you've shown such dedication and perseverance to your buns, you've opened your heart to an amazing bunch of rabbits and they've responded back with all of their love. You're a great person Jan, even now I can see that you're doing what's best for Abby, you've kept your cool and weighed up all the decisions. If Abby could talk, if she could say anything she would say 'Thank you'...

Latest posts

Back