A whole new world with my Noodle.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeepersPlay

Reaction score
Hey everyone. As some may know that I got my first bun recently so am still learning about all the things about them. Although I'm totally open and want to learn everything there is to learn.

Like what are really good veggies to feed her? Any fruits? Are there good toys for them? What's the best type of food for her? What's the difference in all these Hay's? are there any supplements I need to buy?

I already have some of the basics squared away. As far as the vet goes (she's going next week) and the living arrangements. (I'll post pictures) but she's going to have a sectioned off area in my room. I'm working on it this weekend.

Also (I know another member on the forum covered this) she loves to do this chattering type shaky thing when i'm holding her and petting her while I talk to her telling her how cute she is and special and how much I adore her.

Another thing is her name. Now I have no idea what inspired the name "Noodle" but for some ungodly reason I keep wanting to call her "Cookie" but at the same time my brain says "Noodle" and when I call her I keep saying "Nookie" >_<
UGH!!!

Here are some pictures of her tonight while I let her run around for the first time in a secioned off area.

IMG_7188.jpg

IMG_7192.jpg

How can I confuse that face with an animal named "Nookie" :huh

Hi,
In the pic she is with a carrot, well carrots are not a rabbits fav food, it is the tops of the carrot.
Hope it helps!

Lemon

RexyRex wrote:
You can sometimes get the tops for free from the grocery store.

http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

Here is a list of "bunny-approved" veggies. I would suggest small qtys of each veggie to see what Noodle likes. My buns are picky, they will only eat romaine, parsley and cilantro. Anything else they will nibble it a little bit then leave it alone.
Wow! awesome page!!! I'm gonna head to the grocery store later tonight to pick up 1 or 2 of those veggies. And see how she likes them. She's ok with the Carrots but I want to introduce her to new foods :)

I'm glad you've joined! One thing I'll mention, is that Noodle looks pretty young, and it's generally not reccomended to give bunnies under 6mo of age many greens. it can be hard on their young digestive systems. Maybe a mod could move this to "nutrition and behavior" or "rabbits online forum" so you get more responses? this section is generally reserved for "rabbits" to "talk amongst themselves."

Oh wow. thank you so much for letting me know :) I totally appreciate it. I'll keep her on what she's on right now. Timothy hay with some treats here and there and of course her normal food that I will be changing to something else once I'm down to 1/2 a bag and gradually introducing the new food.

She's going to the vet next week so I'm sure he'll be able to give me a better idea as to how old she is. Deffinatly not 6 months old though. She's REALLY tiny.

I hope a mod does move this to a place that would get more hits. I have no idea where to post things so I would appreciate it if someone could please move this thread.

Thank you so much for your reply. :biggrin2:

KeepersPlay wrote:
I already have some of the basics squared away. As far as the vet goes (she's going next week) and the living arrangements. (I'll post pictures) but she's going to have a sectioned off area in my room. I'm working on it this weekend.

Sooooo which vet? I am always looking for another. Mind you wouldn't move from my vets. Love them to much but doesn't hurt to know of others.

Oh for others turns out she lives like 10-20mins from me.

I strongly recommend reading through the articles in the 'Lagomorph Library' section of the forum, they were terrifically helpful when I first got Muffin!

Noodle is so lovely, you are a lucky owner!

Thanks so much you guys! I totally appreciate it :)

I got some new pictures of Noodle tonight. I have a whole new question now:

IMG_7208.jpg

Look at her ear, the one to the right of the picture. I have no idea what it could be. Looks like a cut or burn. I have never seen it. Also on her foot it looks like someone cut her nail WAY to short. I feel so horrible for her. I don't even want to imagine the life she had before me. I saw the thing on her foot and felt worse then with the ear. I just told her that she will NEVER suffer again and that she can trust me because no one will ever hurt her.
My poor baby :(

Here are other pictures from tonight though:
IMG_7213.jpg

IMG_7203.jpg

The most kissable butt EVER!!

Oh, I meant to say: Muffin's favourite toy is a cardboard box with two holes cut out for doors! If you cut another hole in that box in the last picture I bet Noodle will love it.

lemon wrote:
In the pic she is with a carrot, well carrots are not a rabbits fav food, it is the tops of the carrot.
My rabbits actually prefer the carrots over the tops. It all depends on the bunny :).

As a healthy treat for Noodle, do you have a food dehydrator or can get your hands on one? My MIL dehydrates bananas for me and my buns (and rats!) go nuts for them. Since there is no extra sugar or anything added, they are pretty healthy and *nummy*.

Looks like some covered fruits and veggies, so that part is taken care of.

Toys....my boys like plastic shower curtain rings linked together to make a chain that they can shake around. Plastic slinkies are a huge hit, braided fleece ropes, cat balls with the bells inside, wiffle balls, empty toilet paper tubes, ect. Think "rats"....I find my bunnies and rats have the same types of toys. With all toys, just make sure she isn't eating them (cardboard is safe to eat)...if she is...remove the toy. You will want to rotate toys, so she doesn't get bored with the current toys in her cage.

As for pellets, since Noodle is under 6 months of age, you will want to feed an alfalfa based pellet, not a timothy based pellet. Oxbow's alfalfa based pellet is called "15/23". When Noodle reaches 6 months od age, you can slowly switch her over to a timothy based pellet. Many will agree to disagree on wether you switch at 6 months or 1 year, but 6 months is fair because smaller breeds of rabbits grow faster than larger breeds, there for smaller breeds can be switched sooner.

Oxbow is popular and a high quality food (like Harlan is with rats):
http://www.oxbowhay.com

You can also get Sweet Meadow Farm's pellets (I think Alicia uses these):
http://www.sweetmeadowfarm.com/

As for hay, I like to use Timothy hay. You can use Bermuda, timothy, bluegrass, orchard grass, ect. A mixture of different types of hay is always good, but I just stick with Timothy. I wouldn't feed alfalfa hay, as she will be getting all the nutrients from her alfalfa based pellets. You can feed a small handful a day, if you'd really like to.

You also don't need to feed suppliments, as she will be getting all she needs from the pellets and hay. Slowly introducing veggies is also a good thing, but not a necessity if you feed a high quality pellet. I do not feed veggies on a regular basis because my boys just let them go to waste.

Hopefully I haven't confused you too much :biggrin2:!

for the cut on her ear, i wouldn't worry too much about it unless it looks like it is infected. rabbits heal pretty quickly, and i know my fred has had a cut like that on his ear, and it has been just fine.

my bunnies like boxes too. its my shadow's favorite hiding spot. i give them paper towel or toilet paper tubes also, and they really enjoy those. --also, becareful of your books, as mine love to tear them apart if they manage to get their hands on them!

noodle is a CUTIE! there is a bunner that looks like her at the rescue i work with, and i really want her!

good luck!

do you have radiator or baseboard heaters? that could have caused the ear burn. i don't think it looks very bad. it might even be an old scar but your vet can help with that. you can put some triple antibiotic ointment (neosporin) on it, but make sure it's the kind that does NOT have painkillers in it. those painkillers are very bad for bunnies. about the toenail, it may have broken off at some point. Muffin and Benjamin both have toenails like that. it's totally normal, and the nail may or may not grow back. don't worry about it as long as it isn't ingrown, bleeding, or hampering her movement. Ben's have grown back, I don't think Muffin's will. it may be from when he was young and lived on a wire cage-they can get their toesies stuck in there and rip a nail. once it's healed, it'll probably stay that way. it may be the reason she ended up in a pet store, since it's what breeders call a "fault" and means she isn't showable.

tonyshuman wrote:
do you have radiator or baseboard heaters? that could have caused the ear burn. i don't think it looks very bad. it might even be an old scar but your vet can help with that. you can put some triple antibiotic ointment (neosporin) on it, but make sure it's the kind that does NOT have painkillers in it. those painkillers are very bad for bunnies. about the toenail, it may have broken off at some point. Muffin and Benjamin both have toenails like that. it's totally normal, and the nail may or may not grow back. don't worry about it as long as it isn't ingrown, bleeding, or hampering her movement. Ben's have grown back, I don't think Muffin's will. it may be from when he was young and lived on a wire cage-they can get their toesies stuck in there and rip a nail. once it's healed, it'll probably stay that way. it may be the reason she ended up in a pet store, since it's what breeders call a "fault" and means she isn't showable.

She may have "faults" and not be able to be shown but I adore her. She's the perfect bun in my eyes. I love her with all her faults. All these things were present before I even got her. I had no idea of the cut/burn on her ear :( But with everything this little girl has gone through she is incredibly loveable. She hopped into my lap last night and followed me and went looking for me when I stepped away from where she was. LOL!!! she makes me laugh so hard.

Oh I agree completely about "faults." I'm sure my bunnies all aren't showable for some reason (before they were fixed which of course makes them unshowable). In particular, my Muffin has helicopter ears, which are not allowed in Hollands but I think are just adorable. She can lift each ear separately as if to listen to you, or put both up when she's excited, or have both down to relax. Just because my guys don't belong on the show table doesn't mean they don't belong in my heart!

Noodle seems like a great bunny that loves you and that's the best thing there is. Bunnies can be mistrustful of people, so finding one that will trust you and then gaining that trust is a very special thing.:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back