A short note about advertising

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been on forums that are huge.... and free. So I will have to disagree with that. I also think making people pay in essence, by donating (be a rabbit friend) to advertise will not happen as there are MANY forums out there that allow it.

BUT of course the people who are running the forum have the right to decide what they allow on here and what they don't. I will also say that this is not really a rabbit breeding forum. This is much more geared towards people who like and own rabbits. That is totally great. So if that is what the mods want, then we can respect that, and advertise elsewhere.

Lishka wrote:
I have been on forums that are huge.... and free. So I will have to disagree with that. I also think making people pay in essence, by donating (be a rabbit friend) to advertise will not happen as there are MANY forums out there that allow it.

BUT of course the people who are running the forum have the right to decide what they allow on here and what they don't. I will also say that this is not really a rabbit breeding forum. This is much more geared towards people who like and own rabbits. That is totally great. So if that is what the mods want, then we can respect that, and advertise elsewhere.
Could you find out for me who their server hosts were and what software they used? If so - please pm it to me?

Thanks so much - to my knowledge all forum software usually costs something - and the website hosting isn't usually free either.

Lishka wrote:
I have to agree with you,, But when people like my self donates $75.00 to this fourm or less, We should have a say so too. We are helping out the forum too. I dont know how to explain this in writing... Im thinking out it, just dont know to word it out.

This off topic.

But whoever did the Donated rules, Should change it. I have not gotten anything what they post on their, What you get when you donate your money. Im just saying..

Should have kept my mouth shut.

I was going to ask one person if some of the money they made on selling idems went to rescuses.

I agree with making a percentage goto rescues and naming that rescue.

mistyjr wrote:
This off topic.

But whoever did the Donated rules, Should change it. I have not gotten anything what they post on their, What you get when you donate your money. Im just saying..

Should have kept my mouth shut.

You have a pm in regards to this.

When you read the donate thread and tells you everything that you are supposed to be getting if you donate the money.. This is all Im saying.

mistyjr wrote:
When you read the donate thread and tells you everything that you are supposed to be getting if you donate the money.. This is all Im saying.
You have a large portion of that already the rest of is being worked on.

Tessie wrote:
I was going to ask one person if some of the money they made on selling idems went to rescuses.

I agree with making a percentage goto rescues and naming that rescue.
Ok, thought I had this down, but maybe I'm just not understanding...

Why does it matter where the money from sales goes, if not to the forum?

I thought the problem was that people would be selling things through a paid forum, but not helping to pay for the forum which is giving them advertising. In this case, I would understand that since this is a paid forum, maybe the forum would ask for a % donation on all sales through it or something. But if the money isn't going back into the forum, I'm not realizing where rescues come in. The money rescues make from adoption fees helps them pay for their establishment and current bunnies, just like the money breeders make help them pay for their establishment and current bunnies. Rescues aren't giving me a portion of all their adoption fees, so I wouldn't want a portion of all my adoption fees going to a rescue by default.

I'm not against donating, it just seems like something that should be a personal gift. I would understand that the forum would get a portion of all sales though.

It looks like there is some confusion on the term "paid" forum.

Rabbits Online is free to use. People can choose to make a donation, or to pay a membership fee, which brings special perks for a specified time. However, like ALL websites, the hosting software, server space, bandwith, etc., costs money.
ALL the "free" forums you are on still have to pay for some or all of this, somehow. Many free sites like Facebook or Craigs List cover their operating costs with ad revenue, keeping the sites free for users. From what I understand, the membership fees do not cover the entire costs to run RO. The rest comes from someone's pocket.

The Admin and Mods do a wonderful job at listening to people's requests, but ultimately, the people who pay the bills do (and should) have final say. Additionally, the software has limitations. I really want native iPhone support, but right now the software does not support it. (I am hopeful that will happen someday, but until then, I accept that it's not possible at this time.). The important thing is that my request was heard and considered, many websites don't take user suggestions into account at all.

Anyway, end of rant.

My website is 100% free... I have a forum of my own that is 100% FREE!! 100%!! I pay nothing.. And it is a good size forum. NO I am not trying to promote my forum here. My best friend is a Computer software engineer. So you are wrong. Not ALL websites and forums cost. He showed me lots of free, good sites. And no.. he is not sponsoring one for me.

I agree totally that they who pay should say!! However I think it is quite silly for individuals to say things that are untrue.

Also, I do NOT donate my sales money to rescues. I rescue buns myself, care for them, and rehome them FREE! I also help with rescues in my area (cat, reptile, and small animal.)

Lishka wrote:
My website is 100% free... I have a forum of my own that is 100% FREE!! 100%!! I pay nothing.. And it is a good size forum. NO I am not trying to promote my forum here. My best friend is a Computer software engineer. So you are wrong. Not ALL websites and forums cost. He showed me lots of free, good sites. And no.. he is not sponsoring one for me.

I agree totally that they who pay should say!! However I think it is quite silly for individuals to say things that are untrue.

What software does your forum use? Did your friend write it? If so, this was generous of him to donate it to you. Does he donate his time to everyone?

There is also a server somewhere hosting your site. Someone paid for that, at some point in time. If the server goes down, someone will have to pay for repairs. Someone is also paying for the electricity to keep it running, I doubt the electric company is donating the power. Same with bandwidth, someone is paying for that. Just because YOU are not paying anything, does not mean your forum is completely free. It just happens that you have a connection to someone, so it is free to you.

My husband donated the hosting fee and does the maintenance for a website for the rescue I volunteer with. That does not make it free, it means someone was generous with their time and money so THEY don't have to pay for it.

BethM wrote:
Lishka wrote:

What software does your forum use? Did your friend write it? If so, this was generous of him to donate it to you. Does he donate his time to everyone?

There is also a server somewhere hosting your site. Someone paid for that, at some point in time. If the server goes down, someone will have to pay for repairs. Someone is also paying for the electricity to keep it running, I doubt the electric company is donating the power. Same with bandwidth, someone is paying for that. Just because YOU are not paying anything, does not mean your forum is completely free. It just happens that you have a connection to someone, so it is free to you.

My husband donated the hosting fee and does the maintenance for a website for the rescue I volunteer with. That does not make it free, it means someone was generous with their time and money so THEY don't have to pay for it.
Well said :)

It is a free website. I set it up myself. I pay nothing.. the people on it pay nothing. Have you heard of the free sites.. like Freewebs, Forumotion, Invision. There are free sites out there. Electric is paid anyway. LOL.. And the point here was not that someone is paying.. somewhere... the point was that the mods here pay for this site. There are sites out there that they could run free!!

No one was arguing that someone somewhere was generous with thier time and money.. but consider tat most free sites advertise... so someone else somewhere who is spending money to support the site, is also making money. But that wasn't really the argument anyway.

We’re not going to fight. It won’t do a thing for the rabbits. I apologized to DixonsRabbitry and took a reference to her out in the Rescue Me section, but the trigger was her continued references to the old and unwinable argument about who makes money in the rescue vs. breeder war.

I’m pointing it out because it’s important to know where the rules got off track. We are asking that everyone be respectful and refrain from any discussion that promotes these arguments.

We do not allow PETA/Rescue rhetoric directed at breeders, its only fair that breeders rhetoric isn't directed at rescue.

State your case in terms of the needs of the Rabbitry, not the policies of Rescue Me or our Administration and software.

A simple request / queryabout allowing sales, trades, transport and anything else would have sufficed.

We don't outlaw chat involving rabbit sales, Janine had no problem arranging sales in her Chin thread. Breeders have asked for and received to permission to post rehomes in the Rescue Me section.

We provide a cross section of great information. We appreciate contributions from the experienced and welcome the inexperienced. We are not judgmental.

We are a fair forum.

There were some good suggestions made, thank you. There is no blanket policy that would prevent most of that from being discussed and implemented. It’s all just time and logistics. Nobody bothered to wait for those answers before jumping into a combative mess.

We are health and welfare-based, our immediate priorities are the Infirmary, health and behavior research, and the Library. Both Rescue Me and the Rabbitry are short of manpower. We’re equal opportunity slackers.

We do have a revamped Breeds section in the works that will allow breeders to showcase their rabbitries, plans include a revamped Rabbitry Resources can probably accommodate transport, trades and other things that benefit from networking.

Its staffed by volunteers, this isn't anyone's job. It runs at a loss.

Thank you for understanding

Clearing up misinformation…
Julie/Oakridge was not the poster who jumped in after Dixonsrabbitry. Apologies for thinking/posting otherwise, albeit briefly.
There isn't a policy that says that you can advertise if the money is going to a rescue, rescues can't advertise without permission either. They can't do fundraising of any kind. (Peg was correct when she said that we usually won’t allow commercial advertising unless a rescue is involved and yes that is the norm but not a rule).
The definition of advertising in this case was selling t-shirts. It turned into advertising rabbits for sale and also brought up rehoming/rescue. These are three entirely different issues.
Dixonsrabbitry is not banned. She’s in a time-out for continuing to argue in PMs and elsewhere by making negative comments about rescue instead of focusing on what to do to help breeders in the Rabbitry. She is on a tight leash because she is well known as a disruptive breeder in a wide variety of groups and forums.
Please don’t buy into the drama. We’re not at war with anyone.
RO has a long standing policy of promoting breeders over pet stores. People buying from breeders have thought about the decision and they have a far better chance of receiving proper care instructions.

We can’t work on implementing anything if all our time is spent in pointless arguments.

Latest posts

Back